Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Webra 10 ccm Blackhead. Who can tell me?

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Webra 10 ccm Blackhead. Who can tell me?

Old 04-19-2002, 12:54 PM
DerFly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Webra 10 ccm Blackhead. Who can tell me?

The original Webra 10 ccm came as the "Blackhead" and also as the "Silverline", I believe.

I have a Blackhead apparently new in box which has a conrod with needlerace on the topend. I would have thought that the needlerace should have been on the bottom end of the rod for most efficiency! Am I correct in believing the Silverline didn't have the needlerace?

Would be happy to get any other info about this engine, when it was made, fuels, props etc.etc.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2002, 08:23 PM
tjay88

Hi,
The first engine I ever owned was a Webra Blackhead, albeit the 40 back in the early 80's. This range was scross flow scavenged as opposed to the modern snerle/3 port (inlet) types which I seems to remeber the Silverline engines used. Basically the silverline engines were a cheaper version of the Speed engines although I can't say what the exact differences were now.

BFN
Tony
Old 04-20-2002, 01:05 AM
ChuckN

The Silverlines were actually cheaper versions of the old Blackheads. The internals, especially the connecting rod, were not as nice as the Blackhead's. Your Blackhead sounds like one from the late '60s or early '70s. Webra came out with their Speed .61 in '74 and that pretty much ended the demand for the blackhead.
Old 04-20-2002, 08:27 AM
tjay88

Hi Chuck,
I definately bought mine around 1980 and know they were available for a few years after that. Sounds like the Silverline range has been out a couple of times in different guises but I definately remember seeing them mid 80's using the same engine casting as the speed series but polished silver. I've probably some mags going back to the time somewhere.

BFN
Tony
Old 04-20-2002, 12:37 PM
ChuckN

What was available in the UK could very well be different than what was available here in the States. Until recently, Webra never had a very consistent importer here.
Old 10-09-2002, 12:49 AM
GoNavy
My Feedback: (15)

Ok, I'd like to learn a bit about the history of the 10cc blackheads.

I smacked a very low time blackhead into the corn on a radio problem. It had the blackhead, and came with what I believe was the TN II, carb: Gray metal high speed needle, low speed recessed in the throttle arm end. Back plate was uniform circle but for a small flat. OOOps, where does that flat belong, top, side or bottom.

I bought a used blackhead for parts. The crank had a slightly different shaped counterweight. The carb was like the TN II, but the high speed needle was brass, the inlet tube was brass and entered the high speed housing, and the low speed needle projected out side the throttle arm, had a knurled, finger adjustable shaft, and the backplate had a slant rather than a flat.

Does anyone know the history of these puppies? Is there a source for exploded views? When can be interchange parts?

I thought it was a great engine. With factory muffler it was a full eight ounces lighter than a Supertigre 61 with muffler. You can sacrifice a few rpms if you lose 8 ozs. It was also a fuel mizer.