I can't smell S***
4.21%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

The Day After!

Old 04-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: The Day After!

Seriously I know what you mean. When I'd go back to work on a monday and we would be making chili using lots of red beans cooking, I would swear they smelled like castor beans at the field! We have so much fun flying that all the good things including that smell gets burned into our brain. Oh, and washing my flying jacket doesn't do much good, still smells like "flying"!!!

Ernie Misner
Old 04-26-2012, 07:12 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: blw

I've always liked the smell of gasoline. Glow fuel smells good when fresh.
Many years ago, I'd catch a whiff as I fill a car or boat, and yes I found the smell of gasoline not unpleasant. But then in "Kalifornia", they reformulated the fuel, added MTBE (which was found to be very bad for health) and all sorts of other stuff (so-called "oxygenated"). To this day, it now smells repulsive. I always fill up before I enter California, be it Diesel or gasoline, the vehicle runs much stronger and further with out of state fuel in the tank.

This state has beautiful weather an scenery, but the people that run that run it.....whacked.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:27 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Since a very young age the smell of glow fuel and banana oil from the LHS has always been a sweet attraction and I still relish the smell at least of glow fuel and perhaps that is why the majority of my fleet has always been and will always remain glow.

Now I do find the smell of gasolene unpleasent and perhaps thats why I only have three or four gassers.

Near the bottom of my Offactory list of unpleasent smells is indeed model diesel fuel. I suppose thats why I only fly two of them and when I do it requires this additional flight line equipment, Water and bar soap right there in the pit so I can wash hands after each and every refueling

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw68109.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	1755490   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65668.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	137.3 KB
ID:	1755491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79506.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	1755492  
Old 04-26-2012, 07:34 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: blw

ORIGINAL: mistermnkim

I have a small can with nitro under the seat of my truck for a air freshener, I thought everyone did
I always spill gasoline on my hands and clothes when filling up the car for air freshener.
on occasion ill squirt fuel in my hands(just a squirt) and rub my hands together and take a whiff....im sick
Old 04-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Ernie Misner

Anyone remember the sweet aroma of the old type Ambroid or Testers glue when it get mixed into the air with some hot fuel proof dope? Ahhhhhhh....

Ernie Misner
Old 04-26-2012, 09:56 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

I still like the smell of amboid. It reminds me of the old yellow upholstery cement the we in the auto repair business called "gorilla snot".
Old 04-27-2012, 03:55 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Anyone remember the sweet aroma of the old type Ambroid or Testers glue when it get mixed into the air with some hot fuel proof dope? Ahhhhhhh....

Ernie Misner
Early Testor's glue....WOW....now that stuff was a solid blast! I used to build models when I was a kid. Not sure how much of that stuff I ate back in those days. Hmmmm.....come to think of it maybe that is what is wrong with me now [X(] You could go on a serious trip with that stuff.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:44 AM
toolmaker7341

Love the smell of burnt castor
Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 AM
erik valdez
My Feedback: (80)

Our sense of smell is the strongest sense we have, those of us that have it. It is able to conjure up memories from years past in a blink. Who doesn't remember the smell of their grandparents house? Once the odors have triggered the receptorsites, the olfactory bulb sends nerve impulses, via the olfactory bundles, to the thalamus (which then transmits the impulses to the neocortex) and to the hypothalamus. Its in the neocortex that olfactory discrimination, perception and memories occur allowing us to correctly identify what it is we are smelling. Yes, I smelled some gas just before writing this!

Old 04-27-2012, 07:55 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Since a very young age the smell of glow fuel and banana oil from the LHS has always been a sweet attraction
Same here. After a glow engine with castor starts , I swear I'm 15 again. Odd, but doesn't happen with synthetics.

On the first flight of the day, I purposely make a close-in slow pass to get a good whiff.  [8D]
Old 04-27-2012, 03:46 PM
the pope

ORIGINAL: erik valdez

Our sense of smell is the strongest sense we have, those of us that have it. It is able to conjure up memories from years past in a blink. Who doesn't remember the smell of their grandparents house? Once the odors have triggered the receptorsites, the olfactory bulb sends nerve impulses, via the olfactory bundles, to the thalamus (which then transmits the impulses to the neocortex) and to the hypothalamus. Its in the neocortex that olfactory discrimination, perception and memories occur allowing us to correctly identify what it is we are smelling. Yes, I smelled some gas just before writing this!

Yea what he said . I think !!!!!!!!! Cheers the pope
Old 04-27-2012, 05:34 PM
14Glen

Well, why Hell yea!
If I haven't flown for a few weekends, and I have the need to smell Glow Fuel, I put one on the stand! If that doesn't do it, I get the tractor out and cog it wide open put it in high range 8th. and lock the left brake and do burn out doughnuts! If that still doesn't do it I get the 63 Ford Falcon with the 460/514 BB started and do MASSIVE BURNOUTS on the carport! Then back it into the shop and rev it a few (10) times! Then get out and smell the 118 octane! YEEE HAWWW!!!!

P.S.
The neighbors called the Sheriff and reported me, LOL He came out and seen it was me, and asked me to do it again for HIM! He too has it bad!
Thanks, Glen
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37373.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	1755740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13005.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	1755741  
Old 04-27-2012, 06:09 PM
Ernie Misner

Years ago I ran out of gas in my Dad's old Chevy Malibu, going up a hill no less, and the gas station was right up past the top of the hill - if I could just make it up there somehow. BINGO! I had my control line flight box in the trunk, complete with a can of Fox Missle Mist fuel, syringe bulb and all. So I took the air cleaner off of that thirsty V8 and using the filler bulb squirted big bunches of that high nitro, all castor fuel down the intake manifold and into the little tube that would fill the float bowl in the carb. Somehow it got me up to the gas station and talk about a good smell for days to come!

I must have been a brat of a kid. I was always putting a little of that glow fuel in the lawn mower tank for a nice smell too.

Ernie Misner
Old 04-27-2012, 07:09 PM
freakingfast

You know guys, if you want to have some fun, add scented oil to your fuel. Some will wonder, what is that?
Old 04-27-2012, 07:10 PM
freakingfast

Old 04-27-2012, 08:10 PM
blw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zippo lighters were status symbols in highschool. Guys would put Jade East cologne in them and you could smell it burning. This thread just reminded me of that. Wonder how much nitro you could get away with......
Old 04-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Ernie Misner

Remember the toothpicks soaked in oil of cinnamon?

Ernie
Old 04-30-2012, 05:08 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Oh man, one mention of Zippo and I swear I smelled it! 

I had castor on the nose for 2 days last week. Tomorrow is another flying day, hope it isnt too windy, would hate to have that wonderful smoke blow away before it can permeate my pores.  The fuel I am using has castor in it, a blend of syn and castor, so it brings back memories.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Tarasdad

Call me strange if you must, but I love the smell of burned castor oil.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:01 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got me some glider skank on me last weekend
Old 05-01-2012, 04:38 AM
slopoke
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

When I go flying at the club, there are 4 competing smells. In the order of increasing smell-iness:
1. Glow fuel.
2. Gasoline fuel from the giant planes.
3. Cigarette smoke from some of the members.[&o]
4. The port-a-potty that the old-timers insisted on having nearby the pits area.[:'(]

I can handle the smell of glow fuel. The other 3 smells are a challenge for me.
5. Other Members.[&:]
Old 05-01-2012, 02:23 PM
Ernie Misner

Does ANYONE on this thread use Coolpower????????

Thanks,

Ernie Misner
Old 05-01-2012, 03:11 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ernie, in a word...NO