Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum .46 XLS

Old 04-27-2012, 07:32 PM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum .46 XLS

Going through a collection of used engines that I acquired in a buy out, I found a Magnum .46 XLS. It appeared to have very little time on it as the piston is not discolored. I bolted it to the front of an old airframe and it started immediately. It ran a little rough, but I got it tweaked up and idling about 2400RPM, good transition and acceptable high end. The problem is that this thing slobbers big time. I mean this thing is spitting fluid, quite a bit of it, at all times. Is this normal in this engine? Will this quit as the engine is run more? All my glow engines slime my airplanes, but this one is ridiculous. I don't even want it on my plane if it continues like this. Does anyone have any idea if this will quit or not?
Old 04-27-2012, 09:06 PM
Turk1

Default RE: Magnum .46 XLS

No, not normal.You have a leak somewhere.Head?Fuel nipple?HSN?
Old 04-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Ernie Misner

He must mean it slobbers out the muffler like usual.... but MORE. It slobbers like that when the HS needle is peaked? With stock muffler? Something is effecting the tuning. My Mag. 46 ran better with the larger volume muffler that came with the 52.

Ernie
Old 04-28-2012, 05:03 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
If it comes through the front bearing...no!
If it comes through the silencer...you must run it very rich...or a leak.
How about lose head bolts? Back plate ?
Old 04-28-2012, 06:47 AM
JollyPopper

Sorry, guys. I meant it slobbers from the muffler outlet. A lot. It is a thick grayish in color fluid that blows all over the landing gear and shop floor. It has one of those exhaust deflectors that is more or less keeping it off the side of the plane.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:56 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

If it is comming out of the muffler, I would say that is normal. Every two stroke I have will leave a big spot on the floor where I run it from the exhaust. The alcohol will get burned in the running but all the oil in the mix will come out of the muffler. The only thing I can think of that would produce an abundance of fuel out the muffler, is if when being filled, it overflowed into the muffler and the extra fuel in the muffler is blowing out. The other thing could be a higher oil content in your fuel you are using. Other than that, oil comming out of the muffler is good. A new engine when being broken in will have a metalic colored exhaust oil for a while until the parts get broken in good.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:37 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

ORIGINAL: JollyPopper

Sorry, guys. I meant it slobbers from the muffler outlet. A lot. It is a thick grayish in color fluid that blows all over the landing gear and shop floor. It has one of those exhaust deflectors that is more or less keeping it off the side of the plane.
If its gray, then your muffler is coming loose most likely. Make sure the bolts are tight cold and retighten when warm. A few of my engines loosen the exhaust screws on occasion and the prop flings gray oil all over.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:12 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glow engines = messy. Fact of life. But check all the bolts anyway.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:43 PM
JollyPopper

Well, I give up. I flew the plane yesterday and the engine performed flawlessly. It has really good compression, turns 13K+ at WOT, and idles at 2300+ so I guess I will just run it. I am no stranger to glow engines, and I know they are messy, but this one is ridiculous. It sure keeps the right side landing gear well oiled. I do believe the engine was virtually new, so maybe it will get better as I run it.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:07 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A very hot plug requires the high speed needle to be overly rich, you may try a colder plug, it has worked for me.