Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS .60 RF fuel pump quit. Now what?

Old 05-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Ralph White

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OS .60 RF fuel pump quit. Now what?

The fuel pump on my OS .61 RF started pumping bubbles. I checked everything and found no problems with fuel lines etc. I believe the fuel pump has gone bad.
I have ordered a Perry Pump to use on the engine. What I need to know is what to do with the OS pump. I would like to remove it to save weight. If I don't remove it do I need to do anything to the pump to use the Perry pump (i.e. plug the fittings etc).
I have an old OS .60 SF and the back plate appears to have the same bolt spacing as the .61 RF. Could I use the OS .60 SF back plate in place of the pump/back plate combo on the OS .61 RF?

Thank you,
Ralph White
Neoga, IL
Old 05-14-2012, 07:52 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OS .60 RF fuel pump quit. Now what?

Ican't tell from the parts listing for the engine, but it looks like it is a diaphragm pump. Not from the outside, but the crank doesn't show a long throuw to engage the input disk on a mechanical pump. So, pull the back plate and if there is just a hole to the pump, it is a diaphragm pump and the Perry pump will likely work with an adaptor into this hole, Or you may be able to repair the pump. If you can, pull the back plate and post a photo or three. I've had good luck repairing both the 120 Surpall II and Surpass III pumps, The II is a gear pump, and the IIIis a diaphragm pump. Some clean phots should tell whether the pump can be repaired or not.

Don
Old 05-23-2012, 05:20 AM
Ralph White

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: OS .60 RF fuel pump quit. Now what?

Don,

I tried taking the pump apart. It appears to me the diahragm must have a leak or hole in it. I put a Perry pump in place of the back plate pump. I took the OS pump completely out and installed a pressure fitting and plugged the old screw holes with JB Weld. The engine ran fine at high throttle but I could not get it to idle. So I replaced the OS .61 RF carb with an old Supertigre S carb I had. The engine started running correctly. I ended up putting a "T" fitting with line back to tank because the low end was getting to much fuel pressure causing fuel to come out the needle valve fitting on the carb. After putting the "T" line in I had to open both needles a turn or two. Finally got it adjusted yesterday and the engine seems to be running correctly.

Thanks for your suggestions,
Ralph