Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

OS FX 46 piston/cylinder - who sells at a decent price?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

OS FX 46 piston/cylinder - who sells at a decent price?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 04:50 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: OS FX 46 piston/cylinder - who sells at a decent price?

With the AX engine, the locating pin for the sleeve is over the exhaust port so you would have to assume that the sleeve is different but in fact, the only difference- - - is the notch in the sleeves for the locating pin. You can file a new notch in your replacement sleeve or remove the locating pin.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:04 AM
cphdrider
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

W8ye, I have read many of your technical responses and no doubt you know what you are talking about and I for one have taken your advice regarding issues and I did on this one also. I ordered the parts from Just Engines and as you said, they were very nice to deal with and quickly answered my questions. Now I have one for you... WHY in world would OS Engines continue to use nickel plating knowing it is a problem? I have 15 yrs of RC experience and have rebuilt many nitro engines for friends over the yrs. Alot of people think OS Engines is the only way to go, however, I strongly disagree. ASP, Magnum, Thunder Tiger, Super Tiger, and etc all make good engines and to my knowledge most do not "peel cylinders" like the OS Engines. OS went from FX series to AX series and one would think the peeling would not happen? Just my two cents worth, what is your take on this?
Old 05-29-2012, 05:40 AM
w8ye

The main difference between the FX and AX series of .46 engines is the cost of manufacture as the AX is easier to make. The plating technique was not changed between the latter FX and the AX engines. They consider the failure rate acceptable. What OS does not realize is that they are not hearing about the failures for people are using Chinese parts for spares in the engine because of the outrageous price OS charges for replacements.

OS has the plating act wrong on these engines for Thunder Tiger also uses nickel plating and you almost never hear of a Thunder Tiger peeling.

The Chinese engines have many other problems - mainly in the lack of quality control - so don't get too excited about them.

The Magnum/SC/ASP engines are made on CNC equipment and that is about the extent of their quality control unless the girl assembling the engine cannot get something to fit and she throws the part back into the spare parts bin. The quality of materials in the Chinese engines are selected for the ease of manufacturing on the automated equipment.

The die castings for the crankcases on a ASP/Magnum have more Zinc in the alloy so the casting comes out with perfect detail and finish with little consideration for strength.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:53 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

So, for those with the newer OS AX engines, no luck? Have to buy the OS parts?

Why do you think OS makes wholesale changes every decade or so?
Old 05-29-2012, 08:25 AM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

So, for those with the newer OS AX engines, no luck? Have to buy the OS parts?

Why do you think OS makes wholesale changes every decade or so?
That's what I figured. This is making me like ringed engines more.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:49 AM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: w8ye

With the AX engine, the locating pin for the sleeve is over the exhaust port so you would have to assume that the sleeve is different but in fact, the only difference - - - is the notch in the sleeves for the locating pin. You can file a new notch in your replacement sleeve or remove the locating pin.
This means that you can use the Magnum XLS 46 or ASP46 type (S) true ABC sleeve & piston set as a replacement in the OS 46FX as well as the OS 46AX.

For use in the AX, you will need to make a notch in the sleeve flange or pull out or drive flush the sleeve locating pin.

The main thing is that you center the exhaust port of the sleeve (The higher one) in the exhaust port of the crankcase.

You know of course that this will void your warranty?

Old 05-29-2012, 09:37 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

why not just buy a new os engine or magunm
Old 05-29-2012, 12:34 PM
hsukaria

With the AX engine, the locating pin for the sleeve is over the exhaust port so you would have to assume that the sleeve is different but in fact, the only difference - - - is the notch in the sleeves for the locating pin. You can file a new notch in your replacement sleeve or remove the locating pin.
This means that you can use the Magnum XLS 46 or ASP46 type (S) true ABC sleeve & piston set as a replacement in the OS 46FX as well as the OS 46AX.

For use in the AX, you will need to make a notch in the sleeve flange or pull out or drive flush the sleeve locating pin.

The main thing is that you center the exhaust port of the sleeve (The higher one) in the exhaust port of the crankcase.

You know of course that this will void your warranty?

...Maybe it would work for the 46AX, but what about the other Ax's, 25,35,55,65,75,95,etc...
Old 05-29-2012, 12:39 PM
w8ye

I only know about the 46
Old 05-29-2012, 12:43 PM
w8ye

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

A new OS 46AX from Tower costs $140

A new piston and sleeve for the OS 46 AX or FX (both are in stock) $76

A new Magnum XLS46 complete engine from Hobby People is $75

A new Magnum XLS46 piston and sleeve is $34 from Hobby People

Don't be telling Hobby People what you are going to use the piston and sleeve in or they will refuse to sell it to you.

It doesn't matter with Just engines.

A new Thunder Tiger PRO 46 is $105

A new Piston and sleeve for a TT PRO 46 is $56

Old 05-29-2012, 12:48 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

ok here goes> i worked in a wholesale companyy 8 yrs selling to hobby shops>>> owned a hobby shop for 5 yrs>>> worked for a hobby shop for 14 yrs part time>> been flying since 1950> turned 80 last sat>>> monday someone hit me while i was stoppep behind other cars>police said he was doing 50 to60 and he pushed me into another car in the next lane> guess ill never learn about anything
Old 05-29-2012, 12:50 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

A new OS 46AX from Tower costs $140

A new piston and sleeve for the OS 46 AX or FX (both are in stock) $76

A new Magnum XLS46 complete engine from Hobby People is $75

A new Magnum XLS46 piston and sleeve is $34 from Hobby People

Don't be telling Hobby People what you are going to use the piston and sleeve or they will refuse to sell it to you.

It doesn't matter with Just engines.

A new Thunder Tiger PRO 46 is $105

A new Piston and sleeve for a TT PRO 46 is $56

A piston ring is $8 or so. I like ringed engines.[8D]
Old 05-29-2012, 01:43 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hobbypartz are only $60.45 if they are ever in stock.  They are ASP, not Magnum, so they won't stand behind them (likely) but are the same motor. I find when the piston cyl. or bearings wear out, I have got my money's worth out of the motor, and scare up another one.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:30 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

I just re-ringed and replaced the bearings in an O.S. .46SF. The ring is the same as the .46FXH and the .50 heli motor. The ring is $21.49 from Tower. The SF series engines were the last REALLY good airplane engines from O.S. before they had to cheapen them up to compete with the Chinese engines. Damned shame.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:59 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats why I have 2.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:18 PM
cphdrider
My Feedback: (3)

I used towork inChina as a buyer for a major corporation in the 90's and Japanese buyers were in China also taking advantage of the cheap labor. I wonder how many OS parts are made in China withfinal assembly in Japan, thus the stamping "made in Japan". Thinking back about the nitro engines I have owned over the years and comparing their performance, cost makes them all about even. So what does it matter...buy'um cheap, run'um hard, and junk'um when they blow! Just my two cents worth...
Old 05-29-2012, 07:47 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

CPHDRIDER: While your philosphy makes a certain amount of sense, the Chinese have yet to match the precision and consistancy of the older O.S. carbs. The carb is 95% of an engine's personality. With a good carb, almost any engine can be made to run well. Take a decent engine and put a lousy carb on it and you have a real turd on your hands. Remember the MDS engines? Stock, they're a P.I.T.A.. With an O.S. carb, they're a honey. I have a couple of SF series ABC engines that are close to being worn out. Since new parts for them are pricey and hard to find, I'll probably replace them with TT.46's, and use the O.S. carbs on them. You can destroy a carb in a crash, but I've yet to wear one out. The TT engines seem to be the best of the current crop of Chinese engines and offer excellent bang-for-the-buck. Based on what I've seen of the Magnum/Asp engines, their only recommendation is low price. There are still many N.I.B. and lightly used SF series engines out there if you look, and they can be had for the price of a TT and usually less.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:10 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Thunder Tiger 46 Pro on my sons trainer runs fantastic.