Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Thunder Tiger 4 stroke engines...any good?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Thunder Tiger 4 stroke engines...any good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 08:33 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Tiger 4 stroke engines...any good?

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

go get a os or magnum both are good dont sell your self cheap on engines

Ermmm...

You are contradicting yourself when you suggest using an OS or a Magnum, insofar as the Magnum is just a rebadged ASP or SC by Sanye and is not a top shelf engine. See what intense advertising can do. Repeat something often enough and people begin to believe you. Shame on you Hobby People.

I happen to like Sanye engines, but I won't fool myself into thinking that they are something more than they really are.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-06-2012, 01:11 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only bought a Magnum once when Hobby People had their Magnum 52RFS (4-stroke) for $80 a couple of years ago. The 91 RFS is selling for $130 now, which is tempting. I would only buy them at these ultra-low prices.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:26 PM
cymaz

I posted [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11103449/tm.htm]see here[/link]this a couple of days ago..........
Old 06-06-2012, 01:31 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own Thunder Tiger, Magnum, Saito, and Enya 4-strokes, and I love them all. My TT F-91s is a real stump-puller!

I've heard there is a new company named O.S. Max that is making 4-strokes now, as well. I'll have to check into those...
Old 06-06-2012, 03:20 PM
hsukaria

ORIGINAL: cymaz

I posted [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11103449/tm.htm]see here[/link]this a couple of days ago..........
That's one way to reduce reciprocating mass!!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:39 PM
the pope

Howdy F.W.I.W. I dont like the new T.T. design I prefer the brass valve guides . Valve seats etc. I dont particulary like O.S. s new design either and would like to see satio have conrod bushes even though there troulble free , would I be prepared to pay more ? Absolutly and if magnum can do this and still be a budget engine so can the others , and Im not saying the mag. are a better engine then these . These old style engines tend to last forever . Cheers the pope.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

Are you cliaming that Magnum has brass valve guides? Perhaps the larger ones, but not the smaller sizes? Not sure they are needed either, not that much movement or stress on valves.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:08 PM
the pope

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Are you cliaming that Magnum has brass valve guides? Perhaps the larger ones, but not the smaller sizes? Not sure they are needed either, not that much movement or stress on valves.
Ah you got me thinking I just had a look at the 91 Ive got and couldnt be buggered to take the muffler off and cant tell by removing the rocker cover . What the jist of my post meant to convey was that if magnum can have brass valve seats chrome liner , bushes on the conrod etc and still be able to sell at a budjet price then im sure the other manufactures can also do the same at their higher price .I know japan isnt china but how much can these things cost ? I dont know if the modern O .S will last as long as the old surpass for example , maybe someone with one with a hell of alot of hours could chime in . I may well be peeing into the wind but its what Ide sooner pay my $ on . Cheers the pope
Old 06-08-2012, 03:46 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: the pope

Ah you got me thinking I just had a look at the 91 Ive got and couldnt be buggered to take the muffler off and cant tell by removing the rocker cover . What the jist of my post meant to convey was that if magnum can have brass valve seats chrome liner , bushes on the conrod etc and still be able to sell at a budjet price then im sure the other manufactures can also do the same at their higher price .I know japan isnt china but how much can these things cost ? I dont know if the modern O .S will last as long as the old surpass for example , maybe someone with one with a hell of alot of hours could chime in . I may well be peeing into the wind but its what Ide sooner pay my $ on . Cheers the pope

I don't think anybody currently uses chrome liners on ringed engines. But you can have a hard liner with nitrided steel. OS doesn't use them, probably because it makes for a longer break in. Ithink Saito and TT probably have the hardestliners. But I am not aware of any brass valve guides, though maybe there are on some of the large four strokes.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:46 AM
controlliner

I have a Magnum .30 FS with phospher bronze valve guide/seats. Saito has hard chrome liners and Enya now makes a .36 FS with a chromed aluminum liner.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:49 AM
the pope

ORIGINAL: the pope

I don't think anybody currently uses chrome liners on ringed engines. But you can have a hard liner with nitrided steel. OS doesn't use them, probably because it makes for a longer break in. I think Saito and TT probably have the hardest liners. But I am not aware of any brass valve guides, though maybe there are on some of the large four strokes.
Howdy S.P. Im pretty sure the mag. cylinders are chrome even on their 4 st. I know theres nothing wrong with hardened steel either . I remember cleaning the exhaust port of a surp.70 ive got and the seat and looking in through the exhaust port was brass or bronze or whatever (trying to find the right words here ). So the whole assembly which I assume also has the valve guides was pressed in. Just checked a few websites and some say the mag. - asp 4st have a chrome liner but most say a steel liner and looking on the H.K. parts section for asp parts it looks like there steel so Ill have to eat humble pie ( with cream thanks ) on that one . Cheers the pope
Old 06-08-2012, 05:00 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: controlliner

I have a Magnum .30 FS with phospher bronze valve guide/seats. Saito has hard chrome liners and Enya now makes a .36 FS with a chromed aluminum liner.

Are you sure about the Magnum 30 as Ihave one and don't recall seeing a brass guide when Ihad it apart. I should have said chrome steel liners as he was talking about Magnum's.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:49 AM
controlliner

I have a spare parts engine and the head has phospher bronze inserts.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:19 PM
hsukaria

I don't recall seeing valve guide or valve seat inserts on the Magnum 52 when I disassembled it last year. The valves were right on the cylinder head. Unless I'm blind or something.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:59 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

It is possible that they make production/design changes on the fly, like Volkswagen.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-09-2012, 12:20 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

The valves were right on the cylinder head. Unless I'm blind or something.   
Not very likely. You might want to look into those glasses. 
Old 06-09-2012, 01:14 PM
Patxipt

All my ASP (Magnum/SC/Sanye) thumpers have bronze valve guides/seats and fully ballraced camshafts. Engines are the .30, .52 and .91. I can assure the cylinders on these are also plain steel, no chrome on Sanye's ringed engines.

Regarding the topic, I wouldn't mind getting myself a TT .75 or .91 for my personal collection, from what I've been reading here over the years, they seem to be ok.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

Looking at some photo's and apparently the guide and seat are not visiible from the valve cover and can only be seen when the valve is removed. Alsosome are recessed so only a small area is touching the valve seat. Looks like it would be easily missed if not looking for it.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:13 PM
hsukaria

Looking at some photo's and apparently the guide and seat are not visiible from the valve cover and can only be seen when the valve is removed. Also some are recessed so only a small area is touching the valve seat. Looks like it would be easily missed if not looking for it.

I only had the cylinder head and valve cover and rockers off. I did not take the valves and springs off. I could not see valve seats on the bottom of the valve/top of the combustion chamber. I guess I was not looking for the right thing.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:05 PM
scooterinvegas
My Feedback: (1)

I have a TT 91 and love it. I run it with a 14x7 & 15x6