Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Broken Crank RJL .61

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 04:43 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Crank RJL .61

Well I ended up with bad news last night. I ordered some bearings because my RJL 61 was starting to get a little rough and on disassembly last night I saw a hairline crack in the crank starting on the intake port and running 75 % of the way around the crank. I was probably only one to two flights from having the crank split apart in the air. Everything else on the engine looks ok. I will have to check the case a little more because today, while looking a little closer on the crank, there is a little aluminum transfered on the crank just in front of the rear bearing. The crank must have been flexing and dragging on the edge of the aluminum case to transfer the aluminum to it. A crank for it is 30 plus shipping but I don't know if I want to put the money into this engine or put it into something else. I already have the bearings, so I am already into it by that amount. The engine was running well so maybe with a new crank I will get even better numbers than I was getting.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:56 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Broken Crank RJL .61

Things sometimes just happen. But if everything else is OK with the engine, and you like the way it runs and performs, then go for it, get a new crank. Since they want something like $189 for a new RJL engine, the crankshaft cost is pretty reasonable.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:16 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes just order the crank. Yes your numbers will improve with new bearings and a new crank. maybe 500 or more rpm....
Old 06-06-2012, 07:17 AM
djlyon

yup I'm with Earl

Denis
Old 06-06-2012, 11:30 AM
flybyjohn

It's already been done. I ordered a few orings while I was at it. The mecoa site said they would be moving and that would disrupt orders somewhat, but I don't know when that will be. We will see if it gets in the mail soon.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:07 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brucercengines.com has a Kraft 61 or two, then you could have a runner and a parts engine. Ihave been tempted to grab one myself.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:23 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had received a email from Mecoa stating they would be moving and then later I am pretty sure I received a email stating they were done with the move. But I suspect moving and doing business are two different things, when you have a mountain of engines and parts to deal with. They probably have all the parts in a thousand boxes that they have to deal with after the move.
I had ordered some parts just before their move, and I got theose parts OK,  but I haven't ordered anything since then though.

Old 06-08-2012, 05:56 AM
flybyjohn

Good news. I recieved email and my crank has departed Santa Clarita, CA. I should see it Monday or Tuesday. The Mecoa website said on May 15th that they were still in their same location. They also said something about the government being really slow.

The new bearings are already in and waiting for the crank. I am cleaning up the piston (under the ring) a little more, the rest of the piston looks great. I got this engine used about 10 years ago and used it a couple times and then oiled it up and put it into storage until recently. I never dissassembled the engine before because it seemed to run well. When dissassembling it now, it had a lot of rust and corrosion on the steel parts. I am thinking of lightly honing the cylinder with some 600 wet dry. This shouldn't hurt anything if done carefully should it? The ring looks good with good sharp edges. The wrist pin had a little rust on it but it cleaned off pretty well leaving only very small pitting. The con rod is bushed top and bottom and is in good condition.