Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Thunder Tiger 130FS Inverted

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Mikecra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger 130FS Inverted

G'Day, Thanks for reading this post.
I have a Thunder Tiger 130FS that has run very well for over a 100 flights in the upright position, however, have now installed the engine in the inverted position in another plane. The engine is now very difficult to start and will not run more than a 10 secs before it cuts out. Been through all the usual checks ( fuel tank position, fuel flow, mixture setting ) to establish a cause for the cutting out. As a test, the engine has been taken out of the plane and run on a test bench in the upright position and it runs beautifully.

From discussions I have had with some very knowledgeable club members, they are of the opinion that due to the different shape of the combustion chamber, this particular engine in the inverted position, will not run, as there will be a tendency for a concentrated fuel /air mix to accumulate over the glo plug, thereby causing the glo to go out. An onboard continuous glo will not solve the problem.

Wondering if there are any other modellers having this same problem or have succesfully flown this particular engine in the inverted position.

Cheers
Mike
Old 06-16-2012, 12:42 AM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Thunder Tiger 130FS Inverted

Ran mine for a year inverted no problem, try a new OS F plug. I know you have probably done that. fuel does tend to pool quicker inverted so the plug has really got to be at its best.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:05 AM
Mikecra

Thank you Cymaz for the very prompt reply.
That is very interesting that you have it running reliably for so long.
I have also tried different hotter plugs but to no avail. I haven't run it inverted again after the test bench and will run it again at the field during the coming week ( weathers a bit yuk here at the moment), will again put in a new OS F plug.

Really looking forward to flying this new T-28 Trojan, should be awesome with the 130 going reliably. I have flown seversl planes with OS FS's and Saito FS's in the inverted position and this is the first I have had any problems.

Cheers
Mike
Old 06-16-2012, 07:27 AM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

My guess is that it's still rich at least on the low end.
Old 06-16-2012, 08:56 AM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, being inverted that pooling fuel will make it go more rich than usual. [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4646563/anchors_4646563/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4646563]This[/link] may help, I don't know but it has got me out of a muddle.