Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Chosing a New Engine OS, Magnum, Thunder Tiger

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Chosing a New Engine OS, Magnum, Thunder Tiger

Old 07-09-2012, 08:15 PM
oldtyme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Chosing a New Engine OS, Magnum, Thunder Tiger

ORIGINAL: blw

Prop RPM has nothing to do with prop efficiency. You won't anything to support that. I don't know if this is getting too far off topic.
Yep as the OP I think that I got some good info and selected the engine that I think will work for me............probably time to say thanks one more time and let this thread disappear..........it did it's job.

Thanks all,
Andy
Old 07-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Ernie Misner

Right, the 52XLS is just a little heavier but by the time I added some weight to the tail it did fly heavier. No big deal. My main gripe with the 52 was the early ones like mine had some wierd tuning and dead stick problems. They did give me a new engine, HP stand behind their products nicely. By that time I didn't want to see another 52 and sold it to a friend.

The fast hot break in is because the non ringed engines nowadays have a tapered bore with zero tolerance at the top when cold. They need to get right up to temp to expand that normally, any colder is just prematurely wearing it out.

Thanks,

Ernie Misner
Old 07-09-2012, 09:08 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: blw

Prop RPM has nothing to do with prop efficiency. You won't anything to support that. I don't know if this is getting too far off topic.

OK I will re-phrase that.

One can use a larger, more effecient propeller W/an engine that produces the same amount of HP @ a lower RPM.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:22 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

George Aldrich, along with Duke Fox, Dubb Jett, Randy of RJL and a few other engine men of the last fifty years have been my heroes. George Aldrich, may he rest-in-peace, favored the Sanye .46 ABC two-stroke engines for value, durability and performance per dollar spent. I'm with George, even though I do like and own every brand mentioned in this competition.

Ed Cregger
Old 07-10-2012, 03:33 AM
bruceal

I have about ten airplanes, from 4 stroke cubs to 50cc gasser's. My favorite is my 40 size Stik with an os46 ax. I have the same plane with a 55 ax but it flies heavier. True the 55 has more power, but the extra weight does make a difference in the way it flies. What I have learned is proper break in is key for a liner to last. I throw out the OS instructions and do what JETT recommends. That along with some Sig castor in the fuel makes a big difference. I fly most every day and I fly hard. I believe that OS makes a good product but they can be a bit pricey at times. And I use Marvel Mystery Oil for a good after run oil.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:36 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you set up a plane that is on the forward edge of nose heavy and fly it that way then add another engine that is 1.2 ounces more and have to add tail weight then you didnt set that plane up correctly for the new engine. you guys kill me lol i bet you guys run a 5 cell 2500Mah NiMh pack too.

Of all the engine sizes per"case size" get the largest engine in that "case size" you can always throttle back if needed. thats just my opinion though but it doesnt make sense to me.

Same thing goes for the saito engines also. there is only 4 ounce or less difference from a 82-1.25 so why buy the 82 when the 125 will swing a more scale like prop and just sip gas at half throttle.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:01 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: airraptor

Same thing goes for the saito engines also. there is only 4 ounce or less difference from a 82-1.25 so why buy the 82 when the 125 will swing a more scale like prop and just sip gas at half throttle.
There's a $90 difference. Some models won't take a 15 or 16" prop. Kind of the same when choosing between a Saito 91 or 100. Or, it could be that you already have a 125 and need the 82 to round out your collection.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:00 PM
stevosr

Why didn't someone suggest just putting the Magnum 46xls piston and liner in the OS 46fx. It is a perfect fit and only costs $33.
I have done this to three 46fx engines that peeled there liner and they run great. All run a master airscrew 11 X 6 props in the
mid 12000 rpm range.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:39 PM
oldtyme

ORIGINAL: stevosr

Why didn't someone suggest just putting the Magnum 46xls piston and liner in the OS 46fx. It is a perfect fit and only costs $33.
I have done this to three 46fx engines that peeled there liner and they run great. All run a master airscrew 11 X 6 props in the
mid 12000 rpm range.
Stevo..........thanks for the tip............maybe I'll do that and have an extra engine..........THANKS
Old 07-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Ernie Misner

No 5 cell NIMH for me...... it's all about 2 cell LIFE batteries at 1/4th the weight! No going back...... I'm primarily using the 1100mah ones from Tower but I also have some tiny 650mah LIFE rx batteries from HK that are super light.

You should have had more confidence in us..... ha

Ernie Misner
Old 07-11-2012, 05:57 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why mess with expensive but quality OS engines, or cheap hit and miss quality Magnums?  There are plenty of other brands with both high quality and reasonable price.  I think Enya and Fox have lifetime warranties, others with 2 and 3 year warranties.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:41 PM
jeffie8696

Cause when Isuggest anything other than what the OP asked for Iget in trouble.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:52 PM
oldtyme

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

Cause when I suggest anything other than what the OP asked for I get in trouble.
jeffie............your input was valuable to me..........I hope I didn't insult anyone here...........I think the moderator said that it was getting a bit off topic and I agreed, but your advice was right on...........
Old 07-11-2012, 07:24 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

Cause when I suggest anything other than what the OP asked for I get in trouble.
Okay, okay already. What other engine do you suggest?
Old 07-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Ernie Misner

I thnk he already settled on a mill.

Ernie
Old 07-12-2012, 04:48 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to keep it straight sometimes.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:55 AM
jeffie8696

I was referring to past posts not yours in particular.