Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Chosing a New Engine OS, Magnum, Thunder Tiger

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Chosing a New Engine OS, Magnum, Thunder Tiger

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 11:40 PM
oldtyme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chosing a New Engine OS, Magnum, Thunder Tiger

Ok..........in another post I went through having an OS46FX go bad on me.........total cost of repairs is around $105. I am trying to chose between a new OS46axII for $149............hp at 1.67, a Magnum which I can get at Hobby People for $55 and no listing on Hp, or a Thunder Pro46 for $109 and hp listed at 1.43. I'm leaning toward the Magnum because I like true chrome-plated cylinder liners. The Thunder Tiger is the same as the OS and has a Nickle plated cylinder liner.

What do you guys think? I have other Magnums I like and I've heard from the "I don't like Magnum" crowd but in comparison what is the opinion here? I have started to stray away from OS because their prices are just getting ridiculous. I have always flown OS but they are pricing me out of their product.

Thanks,
Andy
Old 07-09-2012, 12:07 AM
cymaz

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Chosing a New Engine OS, Magnum, Thunder Tiger

A 55ax is a sweet engine. As I keep saying to people, run it in properly. AS PER MANUAL. WOT a click or two on the rich side (it does not do any good to scream it lean within an inch of its life). Run it dry after each day and add some after run.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:33 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I have a TT 46 pro myself, and I love it. Most reliable engine ever. The nickel liner in the TT will outlast the OS ten fold. The quality control is spot on with TT, as it is with OS IMHO, but you don't have to worry about the TT liner peeling. The magnums seem to be hit or miss on the quality. True it's real chrome, but it's a gamble. Some are great and some are not. Personally, I'd go with TT again in a heartbeat. My 46 will backflip start on the first try most of the time and runs fantastic on just 5% nitro.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:56 AM
allans
My Feedback: (11)

You get what you pay for . I have both . The O.S. will run longer and better than the magnum.
Curiously the Manum looks like a bolt for bolt copy of the older OS models - maybe yes maybe no. But if true the it is older technology.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:13 AM
ThumbSkull
My Feedback: (57)

Don't believe HP numbers ANY manufacturer publishes.
Even taken verbatim, the HP rating is usually made using a ridiculously high RPM number.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:03 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: oldtyme

Ok..........in another post I went through having an OS46FX go bad on me.........total cost of repairs is around $105. I am trying to chose between a new OS46axII for $149............hp at 1.67,
What do you guys think? Thanks,
Andy

ORIGINAL: ThumbSkull

Even taken verbatim, the HP rating is usually made using a ridiculously high RPM number.

X2. According to the OS numbers, the 46FX makes as much or more HP than a Saito FA91 & that's just plain ludecrous. I have an FA91 swinging a 15 X 4 Zinger @ 10,000 RPM on a 7# US Aircore Nighthawk . It will take off after a 50' roll W/less tha 1/4 throttle & then take it straight up when I nail the throttle. I don't think ANY 46 2-stroke would do that.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Send your enging to Fox and get a Fox .45 ringedfor half off. Also availble but not on the web site is the Fox .50 ringed. Be sure to get it with the new twin needle carb. Of the brands you listed the TT Pro .46 would be my pick.

http://www.foxmanufacturing.com/inde...roducts_id=285
Old 07-09-2012, 06:16 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: allans

You get what you pay for . I have both . The O.S. will run longer and better than the magnum.
Curiously the Manum looks like a bolt for bolt copy of the older OS models - maybe yes maybe no. But if true the it is older technology.

I don't think there have been any improvements in two stroke engines since the 90's. They just change the engines so the older parts don't fit and charge more for parts.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:57 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would ditto what Sport Pilot stated, trade the old engine in on a new Fox .45 or .50 engine. Fox offers a trade in policy where you can trade in a engine, any brand and condition and get a new Fox engine for 50% off the retail price. The new Fox carburetor is great and easy to adjust too.
Another option is to go with a MECOA engine such as the K&B's or something else they sell too.
But if those are your only choices then go with the TT Pro .46 engine.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:05 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Among the engines you listed, I would also coose the TT Pro 46.

In addition to the Fox that Sport Pilot mentioned, I recommend an Enya 50SS (ringed) or 50CX (ABC). They are too expensive new from Enya, but sometimes they appear on auction sites for good prices. The Enya 40SS is more available but it is iron/steel lapped construction, and requires a long break in. I would not recommend the 40SS unless you have some time.

I had a bad experience with the Magnum 46XLS and do not recommend it. Others here will disagree.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:40 AM
jeffie8696

Of the ones you list, the new OS engines are much better than the FX series.
Ihave never seen a used FX that wasnt peeled but I have heard no trouble from the ABL engines.
I have a Thunder Tiger 46Pro that is awesome and have never seen a TT liner peel.
I am not a Magnum fan but I think the new XLS46 is an improvement on the XL46A, my XLS15 was much better than my XL15A.
If you can afford the OS go for it, if you want to save a few bucks get the TT46Pro, if you want a Magnum buy it new with a warranty so you can send it back if it isnt right.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 AM
Ernie Misner

The Magnum 46 is a great little engine and a steal at that price. I ran the heck out of one in a 4*40 for a couple of years before selling it and it is still going strong. It was one of those engines that wants to start and keep on going. I think they have a true chrome plated bore. It is a clone of the OS 46FX.

I did make a couple of minor mods to mine. I used the extra volume muffler off of a Magnum 52 and the carb off of an OS 46 which fits perfectly. The larger muffler gave it a little more performance and the OS carb is just a higher quality carb.

You can't go wrong with any of those engines though..... let us know what you decide on.

Ernie Misner
Old 07-09-2012, 11:20 AM
oldtyme

Thanks all for the input and advice. I decided to go with the Magnum 46XLS........at $59.99 and a warranty I couldn't resist and thanks for the vote of confidence Ernie. I have......obviously..........an OS46FX carb so may do that modification. This engine is going into my 40-sized GP Escapade which is what the OS engine was in. I talked to Hobby People this morning and it is on it's way.

Thanks again all,
Andy
Old 07-09-2012, 12:54 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[/quote]

X2. According to the OS numbers, the 46FX makes as much or more HP than a Saito FA91 & that's just plain ludecrous. I have an FA91 swinging a 15 X 4 Zinger @ 10,000 RPM on a 7# US Aircore Nighthawk . It will take off after a 50' roll W/less tha 1/4 throttle & then take it straight up when I nail the throttle. I don't think ANY 46 2-stroke would do that.
[/quote]

telemaster you cant compair the 4 stroke engine to a two stroke in HP look at where the two compair the rpm at which the HP was produced. The 4S make more torgue so it will have a higher HP at a lower rpm yet the 4S will not make the same HP at the 16-17,000 rpm like the 2S.

All the engines are great. you can buy two of the magnums for the price of the OS. My thing is why settle on a 46 when the magnum 52 or OS 55 make more power almost a 1,000 RPM more than the 46 engines. they are almost the same price also.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:15 PM
oldtyme

airraptor,

I hear what you're saying but the difference in price between the Magnum 46XLS and the 52XLS is $25 with the special pricing right now. Budget is a big thing for those of us who are retired and on a very limited income. I bought most of my stuff while I was still working in preparation for the income reduction. I have enought kits and engines to get me to my grave...............
Old 07-09-2012, 02:01 PM
airraptor

yes i know all about budgets some times. i think with the larger engine though you could save a bit of money it just throttle down a bit with the larger engine. the smaller engine will be running full tilt the whole time. the larger engine will burn more fuel at full power but if you pull the power back some and fly with a larger prop you will gain some fuel economy. it will pay for itself. i find this hard to do though as the extra power will spoil you. i will still try to save for it if you can you will not regret it one bit.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Ernie Misner

At one time I did replace the Mag. 46 with a Mag. 52XLS for a while. Yes, the 52 made some crazy HP but I didn't care for the increase in weight at all in that plane. The ASP line from Hobby King is attractive too and same basic engines as the Magnum's.

Andy, if your OS carb is a rear needle version it might just be easier to see how you like the Mag. carb first. The OS 46 carb I used in my Mag. was an older, front needle carb which I like.

Don't baby your new 2-stroke when you break it in. Best to put it on the bench and crank it up to full throttle, slightly rich of course, but not blubbering or 4-cycling, just a rich 2-cycling setting. Let it run and then cool down a few times that way and it'll be ready to go. Do you know why not to run it slobbering rich or baby it?

Thanks,

Ernie Misner
Old 07-09-2012, 03:05 PM
airraptor

i think the 52 is only a ounce more right???? it should be that much more in weight. I wish TT would make a plane version of thier redline 53 heli engine. We have converted them to plane use and they make very good power....
Old 07-09-2012, 03:07 PM
oldtyme

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

At one time I did replace the Mag. 46 with a Mag. 52XLS for a while. Yes, the 52 made some crazy HP but I didn't care for the increase in weight at all in that plane. The ASP line from Hobby King is attractive too and same basic engines as the Magnum's.

Andy, if your OS carb is a rear needle version it might just be easier to see how you like the Mag. carb first. The OS 46 carb I used in my Mag. was an older, front needle carb which I like.

Don't baby your new 2-stroke when you break it in. Best to put it on the bench and crank it up to full throttle, slightly rich of course, but not blubbering or 4-cycling, just a rich 2-cycling setting. Let it run and then cool down a few times that way and it'll be ready to go. Do you know why not to run it slobbering rich or baby it?

Thanks,

Ernie Misner
Because it is an ABC engine without a ring and running it rich will not seat the piston properly..........................

OH, and the Magnum is a RNV model so the carb should work.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:36 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

nothing wrongwith the mag> engine
Old 07-09-2012, 03:40 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

get a os first mag. engine for a spare i have 3 mag. engines all run very good i got 7 os engines
Old 07-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cymaz

A 55ax is a sweet engine. As I keep saying to people, run it in properly. AS PER MANUAL. WOT a click or two on the rich side (it does not do any good to scream it lean within an inch of its life). Run it dry after each day and add some after run.
Think that I would stay with an O.S. And have found that Marvel Mystery Oil is just as good if not better that any after run oil

Just my .3 cents worth.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Wow, 1.4 oz. made that much difference for you in weight...???

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...compare/index/

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Thanks,

Ernie Misner
Old 07-09-2012, 07:12 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: airraptor

telemaster you cant compair the 4 stroke engine to a two stroke in HP look at where the two compair the rpm at which the HP was produced. The 4S make more torgue so it will have a higher HP at a lower rpm yet the 4S will not make the same HP at the 16-17,000 rpm like the 2S.
And propellers work more effeciently @ 10,000 RPM & less. I have found that 4-stromes will definately pull larger/heavier/bulkier airframes into the air than 2-strokes of equal HP.

And they sound so m uch better.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:29 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Prop RPM has nothing to do with prop efficiency. You won't anything to support that. I don't know if this is getting too far off topic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.