Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

OS 1/4-28 Prop nut

I need a few OS 1/4-28 prop nuts. What other things do i need to look for besides the thread size?

Would a nut with following specifications be alright?

Description : Property Class : 5, Thread Direction : Right Hand, Rockwell Hardness : C32 max., Meets/Exceeds : ASME/ANSI B18.2.2 1987 (R1999),SAE J995, Grade : 5, Type : Full, Material : Low Carbon Steel, Item : Hex Nut, Finish : Black Oxide, Application : General Purpose

http://www.zorotools.com/g/Grade-5%2...Nuts/00071179/

RE: OS 1/4-28 Prop nut

ORIGINAL: Kiteflyer

I need a few OS 1/4-28 prop nuts. What other things do i need to look for besides the thread size?

Would a nut with following specifications be alright?

Description : Property Class : 5, Thread Direction : Right Hand, Rockwell Hardness : C32 max., Meets/Exceeds : ASME/ANSI B18.2.2 1987 (R1999),SAE J995, Grade : 5, Type : Full, Material : Low Carbon Steel, Item : Hex Nut, Finish : Black Oxide, Application : General Purpose

http://www.zorotools.com/g/Grade-5%2...Nuts/00071179/

That would certainly work, but why not just use a spinner nut instead? It doubles as a prop washer and prop nut in one, and looks better too IMO.
    GlowHead Brotherhood #3
    I don't need the Internet, my wife knows everything.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

1QwkSport2.5r, you are right, but i am getting them for a few engines with missing nuts that won't be seeing service anytime soon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's the same thread as my ASP52.....  I use Spinners too... I can't put my finger on it, but I believe they run just a little smoother with a Aluminium spinner nut. 

I've heard of nuts coming loose, and nuts breaking in a hard impact, but never on their own... as long as it locks down tight, I'd have thought any nut would do if it fits the thread?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The actual type of nut is not particularly relevant, just make sure it's a good-quality steel nut. The 1/4-28 thread is the thing to be concerned with. It's not the most common thread size, so you most likely won't find it in the bin at your favorite hardware store. You can find 1/4-28 nuts in aircraft supply catalogs.

Bill Baxter, Manager Hobby Services/Futaba Service/North America
    3002 N. Apollo Dr. Ste. 1 Champaign, IL 61822 USA
    Service Phone: 217 398-0007
    Email: hobbyservices@hobbico.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I found 1/4 x 28 nuts at the local hardware store. They may be labeled 1/4 fine vs 1/4 x 20 which is 1/4 coarse.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I think the original nuts are grade 8 rather than grade 5 but am not sure.

A Thunder Tiger nut http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAPGN&P=0 is $1.79 for one and $1.70 if you order 5. Tower used to sell one brand for less than a dollar each but no more.

You can find the grade 8 nuts at http://www.mcmaster.com/#hex-nuts but they only sell quantities of 100. Prices are $3.21 to $6.78 plus shipping so they are pretty reasonable for a lifetime supply.
    - Carrell

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The ones at the hardware store are a good idea. They are softer than the crank threads so you will wear out the nuts before you wear out the expensive crankshaft. Same thing applies to the drain plug in your passenger car. They are made of a very soft material and get replaced several times before the hardened pan threads give out even if you dont realize it when you pick your car up from the shop( I used to manage a Tire and Lube Express).
    Club Saito # 677-Team Boca Bearings-Star Collectibles Muscatine-Glowhead Brotherhood #19

I have to agree with jeffie on the hardware store nuts. They may be the softest of all but if you strip the threads on them then you're WAY overtightening them. On occasion I've made T nuts from aluminium bar stock and have never come close to stripping them.