Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Saito 90TS

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Saito 90TS

I boughta NIB 90TSlast summer on line, never had a Saito before. It has two red wires included in the box with spade type clips on the end, to fit over the glow plugs I assumeand one black wire with a ring type connector on it, not sure what it"s for. Are these typically included with a saito engine? I am thinking of using a glo driver setup for it. What is a good type to use?

Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Saito 90TS

The glow plug wires are typically supplied with the multiple cylinder engines.

I have all the current smaller multiple cylinder Saito engines and I do not use a on-board glow driver with them.
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: swify

I boughtΒ*a NIB 90TSΒ*last summer on line, never had a Saito before. It has two red wires included in the box with spade type clips on the end, to fit over the glow plugs I assumeΒ*and one black wire with a ring type connector on it, not sure what it''s for. Are these typically included with a saito engine? I am thinking of using a glo driver setup for it. What is a good type to use?

Thanks

You can wire the plugs in series if you have an ajustable glow driver in your flight box power panel. Just hook 1 glow plug to + & the other glow plug to - & adjust the amperage to 3 amps. (green on the scale)

You can also use 2 seperate clip-on glow drivers if you do not have a power panel.
    Club Saito #785 - FA91S, FA150, FA180, FA180HC/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP: All with CH Ignitions CDI/Glow fuel
    SIG BH #41
    - 1/3 Spacewalker, Rascal 110
    CUB BH #231 - Wings Maker 1/5 J-3 Cub

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have one of these engines running on a glo driver, it will only run on one cylinder, checked valves, glo plug, all ok. I can't put it back into a plane in the current state. I never had any issues with my os 160 twin. so I am a little confused

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Low Speed needle too rich.
    Case 570 Diesel, 188.4 Cu. In. HP==36 @ 1,900 RPM, CR 17.5 to 1. Bore==3.8125, Stroke==4.125

As competition improves products, the differences between them get smaller and smaller

Club Saito member #5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

G'day

I have a 90TS and it runs like the proverbial Swiss Watch. I use fuel with 10% nitro in it. I do not use on board glow as it is in a Cub and it is quite accessible so I just use two pocket glow drivers. I did have to adjust the low speed needle quite a bit during the running in process.

Saito engines generally come out of the box with the low speed needle set quite rich. OS engines come out nearer to the final setting. Because of this, many OS owners never adjust their low speed needles and put up with an engine that runs OK but which could run better. I had this argument with a friend at the field last week. He never touches the LSN on his OS engines and proudly told me so. He also told me that it was normal for his engines to "load up" and need to be "cleared out". If I could just get him to adjust the LSN I am sure these little problems would be behind him.

Cheers

Mike in Oz
    \"I just had no control. Must be the radio.\" Club Saito #597 Kadet Brotherhood #66

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mike109

G'day

I have a 90TS and it runs like the proverbial Swiss Watch. I use fuel with 10% nitro in it. I do not use on board glow as it is in a Cub and it is quite accessible so I just use two pocket glow drivers. I did have to adjust the low speed needle quite a bit during the running in process.

Saito engines generally come out of the box with the low speed needle set quite rich. OS engines come out nearer to the final setting. Because of this, many OS owners never adjust their low speed needles and put up with an engine that runs OK but which could run better. I had this argument with a friend at the field last week. He never touches the LSN on his OS engines and proudly told me so. He also told me that it was normal for his engines to ''load up'' and need to be ''cleared out''. If I could just get him to adjust the LSN I am sure these little problems would be behind him.

Cheers

Mike in Oz

You can lead a man to knowledge but you can't make him think.
    Club Saito #785 - FA91S, FA150, FA180, FA180HC/BBC, FA200TI, FA300TTDP: All with CH Ignitions CDI/Glow fuel
    SIG BH #41
    - 1/3 Spacewalker, Rascal 110
    CUB BH #231 - Wings Maker 1/5 J-3 Cub