Default RE: Glow engine woes...

Thanks Ernie, I'll check it out.

David
Old 09-18-2012, 08:22 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boy has this thread died!

Hey, anybody know where I can get a throttle arm for this thing?  Once it was starting to run well, the arm broke off!  I've checked Global Services/Hobby People and Amazon so far.  They're all out of stock.  I'm open to suggestions!

Here are the Item and vendor numbers:
284020 / 80866
Old 09-19-2012, 07:43 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Just Engines.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:18 AM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Thanks Ernie.  It looks like they do have it.  Only trouble is I'd have to spend 30 bucks to get a $2.50 item.  I do have an email in to them, I'll see what they say.

Take care,
David
Old 09-21-2012, 06:07 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

For anyone else dealing with this, a tachometer is a handy tool for getting 4 strokes set right. My Magnum .52 FS wouldn't idle very well at all until I spent some time with a tach getting the idle set right. I set the throttle at the lowest it would stay running at, which was about 4k rpm. I leaned the LSN out just the tiniest bump at a time until it peaked at 5500. Then I lowered the throttle one click at a time on the trim until it quit at 3500. I restarted one click higher and kept leaning it from 3500 to 3900, then lowered it again to 2800 where it died. Restarted, and leaned it to 3000 where it ran steadily. I was able to go on down to 2600 with the glow driver installed, but 3k is usable in my Cub and the engine is still breaking in. The engine leaned out on transition at that setting though, so I went back up a small bump richer which necessitated readjusting the throttle setting to still be at 3k. Now the engine is reliable, transitions well, and idles low enough for my purposes.

The tach takes the guesswork out of engine tuning by giving you an exact measurement of what your needle tweaking is doing. You know if you're peaked or not, you know what your idle mix is, and you can repeat your adjustments. Also, it tells you if something else is wrong. If the needles don't have a repeatable effect on the mix, you can go ahead and start looking for air leaks or other problems instead of wasting your time trying to tune an engine that will never run right. It's one of the best tools I've ever bought for this hobby.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Hey thanks Jester! I didn't even think of getting my tack out.

My buddy made me a new throttle arm, lost it, then found it again a week later (today), so I'll install that some time next month (too much work!) and give it a try again.

Thanks for the help!David
Old 09-21-2012, 11:18 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry about Just Engines being in England. Try Hobby People. You can probably get a carb pretty cheap from them.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:44 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of the folks selling Sanye engines with no brand name on them will sell you an entire engine for the price that others will sell only a carburetor. I haven't checked in a while, so don't hold me to it, but I would be surprised if it was still true.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Cub Flyer Fresno

Whoa, forgot to report back.  Guess y'all thought either things were going well or I gave up.  Actually the thing runs like a top now!  The proper fuel makes all the difference in the world.  I think the fuel I had was not 4-stroke.  I'm sure we tried different fuel!  Eh, who knows now.

Anyway, it starts easy, idles great and not one dead stick yet... yet...    (Why did I say that!)

Take care,
David