Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

GMS ENGINES

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 01:16 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMS ENGINES

anybody running any gms engines. they came in 40 and 60 size,where sold by tower hobbies for awhile any info would be great......good.bad..etc..............thanks...... ........RON
Old 09-01-2012, 07:19 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: GMS ENGINES

Did you mean the GMS engines?  They were low cost engines, that would work well if you got a good one. But quality control was a little hit and miss and usually the engine would be fine, but the carb would have issues. I played with a GMS 1.20 engine for a while and it worked OK after I swapped out the remote needle valve unit for a better one. The engine also ran well using a OS carb too.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:17 AM
AERORICH73

Hi fellows: I have 3 GMS .47 engines. The 4th one I lost on a fly away trainer. My experience with these engines has been just fine, BUT a lot of work has taken me away from doing a lot of flying with the other 3 new engines. The fly away .47 really ran well, and had a nice bark to it when going to idle. I have also read where there were problems with the carbs on some engines. Believe the basic engine is well made, and if coming with a good carb, you will have a good flying experience. Having 3 new ones, I will have the ability to move the carbs around if one or two seem to be faulty. I also collect other named engines such as the Kangke SK .50 and JBA .46 engines. The prices are worth the gamble to see if they actually run. The .39 JBA really is a screamer. It pulled my Royal trainer ok, but the verticle flight was missing; so have installed the JBA .46. This engine is still putting out black colored oil after going through the test stand run in according to Dave Beirke's instructions. Suspect it will take another half gallon of fuel burn to finish the break in while flying a a rich two cyle setting.

Have any questions? [email protected]
Old 09-01-2012, 05:35 PM
geeter

yeah thats them GMS engines. just wanted to know if they were any thing good about them. i guess there ok as long as the carb works or swap it for an os carb..........thanks........RON
Old 09-02-2012, 04:45 AM
earlwb

One of the GMS 1.20 engines I ran with a Perry Carb on it. The engine ran really well with a Perry carb. OS carbs are nice but very expensive. But the Perry carbs are reasonably priced and work well though. Also the Brison standard sport muffler for Webra 1.20 engines fits the GMS 1.20 too. I was trying different carbs and stuff out which is why you see the old original GMS remote needle assenbly still on the engine.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:45 PM
geeter

nice pics.....thanks. i'm buying a plane with a .60 GMS in it. i might go for the perry carb avail from tower i think........RON
Old 09-02-2012, 07:21 PM
earlwb

Well some carbs work Ok and some carbs don't. So do try yours first to see if you really need to do anything.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:52 PM
geeter

i put an os .46 carb on it....better but not running right.......rich lean.uneven. this is a .47 GMS engine. there have been a host of problems with these engines. i finally was ready to give up on it and thought,i wonder if a idel bar glow plug would do any good. i had one from three years ago. sitting in my box. it was a k&b i think. well what a difference it made.......smooth low idel, transition from idel to full better than ever before and no to rich or lean feeling either. in fact it runs as good as my os .46 fx now. with a 11x6 prop she screams. this idel bar plug made all the difference......believe me...........RON
Old 11-21-2012, 05:48 PM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

That;s the kind of plug SIG recommends for the Avaistar engine the import.  I  found it idled very low and ran well.  It was all in the plug for that engine.  Not surprised at the same performance on the GMS.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:53 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ihad a GMS 32 and it was a good one.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Turk1

If any Chinese carb has problems to run,try to cut LSN about up to one millimeter(If LSN has some taper on length) .Mostly LSN cant restrict enough or another say,travel of barrel cant match with LSN profile.Also make sure LSN O ring has better seal.So, that cut will help to have more consistent run.
Old 11-23-2012, 07:34 AM
geeter

thanks for the info. i didn't know about the other motors ,but it sure worked good on my GMS.........RON
Old 11-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

Huge thread on the .47 years back. Someone identified a misalignment of the brass insert where the fuel nipple goes into the carb thus blocking fuel flow. Mine was only sightly misaligned and I drilled it out and flushed it out. I got rid of the remote needle valve and now the engine seems to run okay. I have it on my old trainer.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:56 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Uncas

Huge thread on the .47 years back. Someone identified a misalignment of the brass insert where the fuel nipple goes into the carb thus blocking fuel flow. Mine was only sightly misaligned and I drilled it out and flushed it out. I got rid of the remote needle valve and now the engine seems to run okay. I have it on my old trainer.
This was an oft reported problem.. many were fine, but those that weren't were a PITA. Depending on what rpm and thus what fuel flow demand, they might or might not suffer from starvation at WQT. Guys that used bigger props and kept the rpm down probably ran into less problems statistically. If the fuel flow was sufficient the engines ran fine.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:08 AM
Turk1

ORIGINAL: MJD

ORIGINAL: Uncas

This was an oft reported problem.. many were fine, but those that weren't were a PITA. Depending on what rpm and thus what fuel flow demand, they might or might not suffer from starvation at WQT. Guys that used bigger props and kept the rpm down probably ran into less problems statistically. If the fuel flow was sufficient the engines ran fine.
That starvation was due to LSN blocking the spray bar even at WOT when user triying to have a proper idle and good low speed running.ıf LSN taken back to have good WOT than it would be impossible to have a good idle .