Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

saito fa220 fuel question

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:57 PM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default saito fa220 fuel question

hello guys, sorry for such and easy question (to some of you) Ijust got a great planes ultimate, it has a saito fa220 on it, super nice plane.
Ihave never owned this kind of engine, a 4 strokeGLOW,,I have downloaded a manual but still have some confusion about what kind of fuel to run in it.
Ihave a large moki 2.10 glow engine and run the omega 5% fuel in it,,
but what Iam reading is that since this is a 4 stroke it needs a different kind of glow fuel?? and help would be appreciated as Iwant to get this thing up and enjoy it
thanks
Ronnie
Old 11-27-2012, 10:55 PM
mike109

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: saito fa220 fuel question

G'day

I run about 14 Saitos. I use similar fuel to you in all my Saitos though it has 10% nitro and not 5%. I also use the same fuel in two strokes.

My fuel is 10% nitro, 5% castor, 15% Klotz synthetic and 70% nitro. I do run more nitro in one Saito - a radial three cylinder 90R3. This motor develops very little power for its size thanks to its mechanical complexity and does tend to drop a cylinder on 10% fuel but it is quite reliable and usable on 20% fuel. It does sound amazing though which is the main reason for owning it.

I think you will be fine with your existing fuel but you could use more nitro. If you do, you will get a little more power and tuning will be a little easier. You will also invite more rust problems and the engine will wear faster.

Your choice.

Mike in Oz

Old 11-28-2012, 03:58 AM
raron455
My Feedback: (38)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Is there a fuel out there that is for these engines I can get at my LHS, or is it something I need to mix up myself, of course I want to to make all the power I can AND keep the wear down on the engine,,,
Thanks

Old 11-28-2012, 04:01 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi ronnie mike's advice is on the money mate.You will be surprised when you start it tho phew they make you lean back a bit at first and so smooth for a big barking single.Good luck with it mate.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:56 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Ronnie, in your part of the world you should find PowerMaster everywhere. Their 10% with 18% 80/20 blend would be perfect. As Mike and OF said it'll run great on 5% though. If they have WildCat it is great too, its all I use.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:53 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You don't really need to do anything special for the fuel to use in the engine. I use the same fuel in my two stroke glow engines that I use in my glow flour stroke engines too.  I normally use 5% Omega glow fuel in most all of my engines. I like the blend of synthetic and castor oil in my fuel anyway. But the castor oil could cause the valves to stick if you don't use the engine for a long time.

They used to make, and still do to some extent, special four stroke fuels that had less oil content in it and it used all synthetic oil as well.  But you don't really need them.

Now then some engines may have lower compression and not run well with low nitro or no nitro glow fuel, you may have to run more nitro in the fuel for those engines. I only ran into the problem with a some ASP .61 four stroke engines that ran well using 15% nitro glow fuel but didn't like 5% glow fuel.  In this case the engines either or would not idle well or had problems peaking out. Sometimes during a engine break in, it needs more nitro to idle well but this is before the ring gets seated good, etc.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:10 AM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great engine. One bit of advice. Make yourself a bracket on the plane to hold a gallon fuel jug !! Your going to need it. LOL

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22704.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1824467  
Old 11-28-2012, 02:52 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AH HA! i spy a custom exhaust??