Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Magnum XLS-52

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 04:57 AM
ben flyn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: <span class=

Everyone seems to have thier low needle set from 1/2 to one turn open from being closed. At least the first engines that came out.
Old 06-14-2004, 08:18 AM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I also noticed that the throttle is not linear, basically I get no response from 1/4-1/2 throttle, then it seems to wake up. Kinda makes landing in high wind more difficult.

Anyone else experiencing this???
Old 06-14-2004, 06:44 PM
mmuntner

ORIGINAL: wildnloose

I also noticed that the throttle is not linear, basically I get no response from 1/4-1/2 throttle, then it seems to wake up. Kinda makes landing in high wind more difficult.

Anyone else experiencing this???
The answer is: Either change the geometry of the throttle linkage (to offset the servo arm to nearly 90 degrees at full retard throttle position) or to program some opposite exponential if a computer radio transmitter is used.

This is a fairly basic trick, but there is so very much information to be aware of that it's really hard to remember it all!
Old 06-20-2004, 11:03 PM
Ernie Misner

ben flyn, what is an Aqua-Craft and where did you get the carb?

Ernie
Old 06-20-2004, 11:31 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The answer is: Either change the geometry of the throttle linkage (to offset the servo arm to nearly 90 degrees at full retard throttle position) or to program some opposite exponential if a computer radio transmitter is used.
Thanks mmuntner, never thought about that...
Old 06-21-2004, 04:30 PM
Bodge

I have the ASP 52 - I believe it's pretty much the same engine. The slow speed mixture is veeery sensitive - turn it fractions at a time and you should get there after playing around with a tankful on the ground.

The motor goes like hell, though.

Mick.
Old 06-21-2004, 07:58 PM
ben flyn

I got it at my LHS; but you can get them at Tower.
Old 06-21-2004, 11:41 PM
mac4taz

Default RE: Magnum XLS-52

I received my 52 XLS for $50 almost brand new. At a Hobby People that I worked at for a little extra money. The engine was offered to me because a customer that bought it stated that an airleak was causing the motor to run to lean. I brought the motor home put it in a Super Sportser the first thing I noticed was that the muffler was spinning and was lose from the engine. From there the engine was a nightmare. It had great power until I found the big problem. The set screw that holds the carb on the motor was striped. And causing the air leak. Anyway I'm going to love my 52 XLS right in the trash. Not really I'm going to send it in to Magnum. Let them try to fix it then sell it. Then go buy a good motor like an GMS 47 or ST 45. Good luck. Mac.
Old 06-22-2004, 12:55 AM
TNRabbit

Don't forget; as you go up in nitro content, your fuel economy goes down.

I personally run 5% or less nitro Morgan Omega, and an Enya #3 glow plug on my Rossi .45 w/ APC 10x6 prop. I consistently get 15,300-15,600 rpm on the ground with this combo.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:15 AM
Jarsu

ORIGINAL: mac4taz
The set screw that holds the carb on the motor was striped. And causing the air leak. Anyway I'm going to love my 52 XLS right in the trash. Not really I'm going to send it in to Magnum. Let them try to fix it then sell it.
I had the same happen to my SC 52's carburator (the same engine without the blue head, so I guess the carb is the same too, mounts with two short 3mm hex screws) and it took me about five minutes to modify the threads in the carburator to 4mm from 3mm. Now they won't strip no matter how hard I tighten the carb. I guess the problem is that the manufacturer uses too soft aluminium. In earlier models, the threads for the head tightening bolts kept stripping too.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:56 PM
Ernie Misner

I've tried 3 different magnum 52 carbs on my Magnum 52, and it still has a rich midrange!

With the low speed needle about 5/8 of a turn open, it is almost too lean on the idle end, but still goes rich in the midrange.... (top end screams!)

I kept getting deadsticks from flooding out the plug during transition. I went to a K&B idle bar plug as a last resort (had an OS 8 in there before) and that at least keeps the engine running dependably. It sure would make a lousy 3D plane with a lousy midrange though.

Are others having this problem?

The low speed needle is very blunt on the end. Would someone please try putting one of these needles in a drill or lathe and try making more of a taper on the end???? I may do that in time, but can't at the moment.

Ernie
Old 06-24-2004, 07:24 PM
flyrcplanes

My 52 XLS hand started right out of the box. It usually starts on the first or second flip. You can get a Pitts style muffler from Hobby People for around 22 dollars and it works great. No leaks at all and no power loss. Mine screams while going vertical on my Global Super Decathlon 52/61. By the way a great flying plane if you beef up the landing gear. Also seal the edges of the trim if you don't want it comming off the first time you get hot fuel on it.