Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Bearing advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 02:18 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bearing advice

I am ordering bearings from Boca for another engine, and figured I'd grab a set or two for my OPS .65 ducted fan (aka small prop) engines.

But I am faced with a number of choices.. regular steel, high speed steel, stainless steel, ceramic lightning performance, ceramic high performance, ceramic premium.. egads..

Any advice on making a sensible choice? Advantage to ceramics regards performance, longetivity? I'd like to choose the best bearing for the job without spending money needlessly on bearings it does not need and that will offer no tangible advantage. If there is a tangible advantage to something premium then no problem, I'll take the plunge.

We're talking a spread of $20.27 - $66.95 per set here, so I figured it was worth fishing for some input.

Thanks

Mike
Old 10-02-2012, 02:48 PM
jeffie8696

Default RE: Bearing advice

Due to the high heat high speed nature Iwould buy the best bearings Icould afford. The good folks at BOCa will be happy to help you out.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:49 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Good advice
Old 10-02-2012, 03:11 PM
djlyon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best bearings for your application from BOCA are his high speed steel ( chrome steel races and balls with plastic retainers). His most expensive are his ceramics. We don't use the ceramics in our pylon racing engines because they don't help use and are hard on the wallet. We don't use metal retainers because they will destroy $400 and up racing motors in a heart beat

Denis
Old 10-02-2012, 04:20 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I use Stainless bearings in my engines, and I get them from RC-Bearings for $12 a set. Phenolic retainers, and at my door in 2 days. Can't beat it.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:51 PM
MJD

Like I said, if there is a benefit to using the ceramics, I would have no problem paying for them. If the ceramics don't really do anything I care about then it makes sense to use the best steel bearings. They're less than half the price of the high-speed ceramics. I'm not sure I am a fan of stainless steel, it just doesn't have the properties of chrome steel. They might be great, but for a high performance engine I tend to think of them like I think of stainless steel knives.

These look like the ticket, $26.95 a set. That's less than two props for that engine, and I break those a lot more often than bearings. Puts things in perspective.

Kit Number : #ENK-007HS
Kit Type : High Speed RC Engine Bearings
Description : High Speed RC Engine bearing kits come with a high speed retainer that can handle 15% more Rpm's, These bearings have steel balls, a high speed retainer and a C3 fit. High Performance bearings can be used for any application seeking a bearing with a strong, lightweight retainer. When selecting your Engine Bearing kit please check to be sure you are getting the proper sized bearings for your engine or contact your Boca Bearing Sales rep for details. KIT(2) R6N-Z/R8 TH

Old 10-02-2012, 07:50 PM
jeffie8696

hope to have an idea by tomorrow, Icontacted an expert.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:10 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I have a really hard time wrapping my head around a pair of ball bearings costing $30. I used the same SS bearings in my TT 46 turning at 16.5k+ and they haven't exploded, so they can't be all bad. Whether they would handle 20krpm is left to be seen though.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:27 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

I have a really hard time wrapping my head around a pair of ball bearings costing $30. I used the same SS bearings in my TT 46 turning at 16.5k+ and they haven't exploded, so they can't be all bad. Whether they would handle 20krpm is left to be seen though.
I agree they may be a bit rich at that price, I don't have a history buying bearings to know. They have "econo" options for less money, but these aren't econo engines. I'm running the .65's at 22-23k in the air, considering the cost of any of the other parts (p/l set for $140 for example) the bearings don't seem all that bad by comparison. SS is certainly attractive from the corrosion resistance standpoint (for example I just bought a very lightly used Moki 2.10 whose front bearing is seized from corrosion while the rest of the engine is intact) but I think it gives something away in mechanical properties.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:44 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

www.rc-bearings.com

You dont need ceramics and if a ball comes apart it will destroy your engine.
We run RCB's stainless bearings in our heli engines that run at 18k all flight long.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:21 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
In Pylonracing it has been custom to use Swiss, WIB beaings. These are steel , open , bearings with plastic retainers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44348.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	1807482  
Old 10-03-2012, 07:38 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

anyone have a decent source for the Swiss bearings that Jaka mentions? I haven't had too much success finding them, unless you want to buy a whole bunch of them.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:42 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

A thought I've had about ceramic bearings...
Your delta lands on it's belly....so chances of it getting a bit of a "bonk" on the spinner during landing, might damage an extremely hard, and (some might say) easily chipped ceramic ball (or two)....

I go along with the Steel or SS bearings crowd...
Old 10-03-2012, 07:51 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: proptop

A thought I've had about ceramic bearings...
Your delta lands on it's belly....so chances of it getting a bit of a ''bonk'' on the spinner during landing, might damage an extremely hard, and (some might say) easily chipped ceramic ball (or two)....

I go along with the Steel or SS bearings crowd...
All good advice from everyone, appreciated. I ordered two sets of the premium open steel bearings with high speed retainer. Hope these do the trick.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:16 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried the best ceramic bearings from boca in two OS 46AX I engines and they were toast in 3-5 tanks of fuel. they turned gritty and made lots of noise. we quickly replaced them. I will now only order bearings from RC bearings as the SS ones with phenolic retairs are less than 11 dollars. they ship fast also.

MJD try the RCbearings.com i had a hard time with how cheap they were but they have proven to be just as good if not better than the BOCA ones.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:16 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Only your wallet will know the difference
Old 10-03-2012, 10:36 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I have a choice of bearings to choose from, I tend to go with the middle priced bearings myself. The cheapest bearings may be OK but then maybe they don't last as long either. The really expensive ceramic bearings don't seem to hold up well for sport flying though. I would reserve the ceramic bearings for competition where even a tenth of a second in a race is important. Stainless steel bearings are good, but the steel tends to be a little more soft than good hardened steel bearings, so I wind up going with the good quality steel bearings.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:28 AM
CRX Turbines

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only place I know of to use a ceramic hybrid bearing is in a jet turbine. The bearings will not last in a glow motor. They need an activefeed of lubrication. They are just notdesigned for the application and are much higher priced than any other bearing on the market.If you are intent on trying a ceramic bearing, you might find some through VXB bearings which are more reasonably priced.. They have a lot of listing on EBay. The thing with the ceramics sold by Boca is that they are rated for much higher RPM (100K and up) which is overkill for any motor outside of a turbine.

ORIGINAL: MJD

I am ordering bearings from Boca for another engine, and figured I'd grab a set or two for my OPS .65 ducted fan (aka small prop) engines.

But I am faced with a number of choices.. regular steel, high speed steel, stainless steel, ceramic lightning performance, ceramic high performance, ceramic premium.. egads..

Any advice on making a sensible choice? Advantage to ceramics regards performance, longetivity? I'd like to choose the best bearing for the job without spending money needlessly on bearings it does not need and that will offer no tangible advantage. If there is a tangible advantage to something premium then no problem, I'll take the plunge.

We're talking a spread of $20.27 - $66.95 per set here, so I figured it was worth fishing for some input.

Thanks

Mike
Old 10-03-2012, 11:31 AM
MJD

Good input all. I think I made a sensible choice with the "high rpm" steel bearings. There might be a cheaper source but the shipping was free so.. whatever.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:36 AM
CRX Turbines

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Boca is agreat source for bearings and the guys running it are great to deal with...

ORIGINAL: MJD

Good input all. I think I made a sensible choice with the "high rpm" steel bearings. There might be a cheaper source but the shipping was free so.. whatever.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:47 PM
jeffie8696

Ditto.