Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Saito 100 needle problems

Hello I am new to 4-strokes and am having a bit of an issue with a Saito 100. I am using a Kelco custom exhaust on a Hangar 9 Spitfire with a blade 13x8 prop. I am having issues trying to get the engine tunned. The issue that I am having is the high speed needle valve doesn't seem to have an effect on rpm. It peeks out around 10,300 rpm. When I turn out the needle valve it richens up but the rpms dont seem to change. 1 full turn will cause a 100 rpm drop. As it is richened the exhaust gets smokey and sloppy so it seems it is running rich but the rpms don't seem to change. When I shut it down there is oil and resuide covering the plane as you would expect from a rich engine.I have tried different fuels 15% synthetic and castrol blend and 30% all synthetic. I verified no issues with fuel lines and the Carb has no obstructions. As all of my previous experience is with 2 strokes I don't know if I am doing something wrong. I just dont know how to tune it if propperly if the rpms dont change. Thanks Adam

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Saito 100 needle problems

Open up the low speed needle a little and try the high speed again
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It sounds like your low speed needle valve is too rich.
    The ultimate responsibility of pilots is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions who can only stare skyward...and wish.

"It's a new day for Auburn" - Gus Malzahn

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Is it possible that with that custom exhaust that you are not getting enough pressure to the tank somehow? I've had that happen and richening the HS needle didn't have much effect. Keep us posted, thanks,

Ernie Misner

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Adam i'd set your low speed needle back to factory settings and peak the hsn, i think w8ye is saying you are to lean on the LSN.The prop figures at peak sound really too.
    Watch out for the ground eh?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, that's embarrassing for sure. I meant too lean. Good grief.
    The ultimate responsibility of pilots is to fulfill the dreams of the countless millions who can only stare skyward...and wish.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I took a look at the low speed needle and it was turned in substantially. I think more than 4 full turn out to get it back to factory settings. I had my flying clubs "Saito expert" help me set it up originally and that is where he set it. I think that the low speed needle combined with the custom exhaust could be the problem. It does have a pressure tap but the scale exhaust system has 6 outlets so I am sure that it gives less pressure to the tank then the stock muffler. I also think a contributing factor was the fuel lines used to have a siphoning effect. When I was breaking in the engine, I had to clamp off the fuel lines to keep the carb from filling with fuel when the engine wasn’t running. The siphoning mysteriously stopped and that was around the time I started having issues with the needle. I suppose the siphon effect was pushing more fuel in. Why the siphon stopped, I do not know. Adam

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The further the carb is closed or the LS needle leaned, the less siphoning will occur.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi ernie if the fuel tank is high in relation to the carb with a saito single inverted then you need to completely have the throttle barrel shut or it will continue to dribble fuel..the tank not me i hope

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Never sweat on a cheerfull post,i've got a good idea about embarrassing thowhat about a you tube vid(shoulder cam of course)of our mate hairy knuckle dave riding a fatboy down his favourite stretch of straight road stark naked and a guitar strapped to his back.What movie theme music would be playing while all that went on guys

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Keep in mind that the factory setting for the low speed needle is sloppy rich. This is intended for the initial break in run on the engine.

If you have it that rich, you can watch all the smoke as you advance the throttle. If your high speed is set nearly right you can see the smoke begin to disappear near 80% throttle. This shows where the low speed stops having effect.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Right on Old Fart. If you have a switch on your tx set up for engine kill / carb fully closed position, you can shut the power off on the plane while it is in that position and you shouldn't get any siphoning.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

While your at it change the prop as a 13x8 is way too small for a Saito 100. I agree with some of the other posters that your low end is probably too lean so after you change the prop richen up the low end and try again.
    fred
    Life\'\'\'\'s tough......It\'\'\'\'s even tougher if your stupid!! \" J. Wayne

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had assumed that he was running A 3 blade 13 x 8?
    Attended the CutFinger Institute of DirtNap University for years but never did graduate....
    Recipient, Mangledhand award August 2008
    Club Saito Member #7
    Original AMA #31261

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeh i assumed that too.Anything over ten on that size prop sounds good to me,don't know whether it's a wide blade or not,adam ain't far off the mark.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah it is a 13x8 3 blade. I also tried a 14x9 3 blade. Seemed to struggle in flight with the 14.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AdamPrime

*Yeah it is a 13x8 3 blade. I also tried a 14x9 3 blade. Seemed to struggle in flight with the 14.*
    My Saito 100's are happy with a 15x6.

My low speed needle wound up flush with the throttle lever face, nothing protruding past the lever. Results may vary.

Good luck,
    Dave Olson
    The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him GKChesterton

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a Saito 100 coming for a 3D profile plane. Will it pull a 16x4 APC Wide prop? That's the same prop my Saito 125 pulls though ... ?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

I have a Saito 100 coming for a 3D profile plane. Will it pull a 16x4 APC Wide prop? That's the same prop my Saito 125 pulls though ... ?
    I think you'll find a 15X4W a better fit, after you get the engine broke in.
    Just my opinion.

Dave Olson
    The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him GKChesterton

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, that makes more sense. The wide series props can be quite a load. Thanks.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ernie Misner

Is it possible that with that custom exhaust that you are not getting enough pressure to the tank somehow? I've had that happen and richening the HS needle didn't have much effect. Keep us posted, thanks,

Ernie Misner

It looks like it is a lack of muffler pressure is causing the problem. I switched back to the stock muffler for trouble shooting purposes. It cleared up all the issues I was having. I left the needle at the positon I had set it with the scale exhaust. With proper exhaust pressure it wouldn't even run without continuous glow heat. I leaned it out to the pointI had it running at 6000 rpms wot pulled off the muffler pressure and it surged to over 10,000. I guess I will have to switch to a perry pump of something to provide fuel pressure at the needle since the scale system doesn't provide enough pressure. Thank You Everyone for your help. Adam