Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine

On the 10cc Evo thread a mac's muffler lost a lot of rpm's on this gas engine. But on same size glow engines this extra volume muffler made for the 55AX's and 60NX's shows a marked rpm gain...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanx Ernie M,

Sort of suggest something "undersized" might not be appropriate.

If one wants to hide muffler, mabey look for bigger cowl . . .

Do have a Kitfox Classic IV 80" undercambered wing with a big round cowl . . . says .40 sz 4-stroke . . . .

Oh well, just have to sit on it and wait a while

T-man49 in Al

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I would imagine that the gas muffler does not need to be a big a volume as the glow/nitro.

The glow AX-40 is a bolt-on tilt-down muffler. I am not sure what the gas version has. It would be nice if it were bolt-thru with the generic/OS dimensions to be able to use many different 3rd party mufflers.
    Content, but not Complacent.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I should also mention that I am using a prototype muffler as well that is "straight out" instead of tilt down. There is no performance loss/gain between the two, just makes it easier for some installations. I also have one of the new extended needles for my AX 40 Nitro, which makes mounting inside a cowl work. I would imagine they will also have one available for the gas version once it becomes available.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: hllywdb

I should also mention that I am using a prototype muffler as well that is ''straight out'' instead of tilt down. There is no performance loss/gain between the two, just makes it easier for some installations. I also have one of the new extended needles for my AX 40 Nitro, which makes mounting inside a cowl work. I would imagine they will also have one available for the gas version once it becomes available.
    I was debating whether to buy an extended needle or to epoxy and extension myself, assuming it works.

The reason I was talking about a straight out muffler is because the tilt-down wont work in my application.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi all,
    I have been tied up with some remodeling projects at the house and have not gotten out to the field in the last few days. I did get to mount and run a MAS 12X5 on the plane, but not fly it yet. So I have some preliminary numbers. I am getting around 11k on the ground, which should get me around 12k in the air, especially with a 5" pitch, and an idle around 2100. It throttles nicely with no hesitation and comes on step quickly. I will get back with some final numbers after I fly it some. I prefer to give real flyable numbers rather than bench or ground numbers as I think they do us little good. About how I come up with numbers; I setup the carb so that I get a setting that will hold at full tank, 1/2 tank, and quarter tank, that won't go lean at the top of a 400ft hammerhead, and will repeatedly go from full throttle to idle and back both right side up and inverted without a burp. I set my idle speed so that it will hold up fine even on landings that also count as a series of 3 or 4 touch and go's Once the plane is set up and has a couple of flights on it, I simply measure the rpms on the ground. Those of you who don't mind burning up motors or an occasional flame out will get higher numbers. These numbers are what you can expect in a stable flyable configuration that lets you simply concentrate on flying the plane and having FUN!.

In my opinion the low speed on a 2 needle carb should be set to give the most consistant midrange and smoothest transitions, not to get the lowest idle. To that end, I should note that I have not had to touch the low speed in the last 9 months of flying, no matter what the prop and from 50 degrees to 100 degrees weather. I simply adjust the idle speed on the transmitter trim for the prop changes or weather. Sticking to NV's recomendations I have not yet had a dead stick, flame out, or had to retrieve the plane from the field in 9 months of flying. I am also still on the same glow plug.

Anyway, once I get out to the field and fly it, I will get you some final numbers on this prop, but I am expecting it to fly nicely and would be fine for a Cub or scale biplane or warbird.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Hllywdb,

Just a curious question for you. Many who have small gassers have complained of "black residue" when breaking in these. Did you experience any of this with either of the NVs' you"ve used?

T-man49 in Al
    Mike Brennan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hllywdbI know some one is going to ask. So I will. How suitable do you think this engine would be for control line?

Ken
    \"As for Me and My House, We Will Serve the Lord\"
    Club Saito Member 775
    Club K&B Sportster
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood 15

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Nice Thread - Subscribed!
    Good to see Norvel back! They made some great 1/2A engines.
    When will they make a gasoline 1.40 - 1.60 engine for my 2M pattern plane?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Uncas,

You might check their site . . . they have a regular forum there . . . and seem to respond quickly.

http://www.nvengines.com/

Seems they will have had this 40sz in field testing at least a year by the time Spring rolls around. I'm waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiting! !!! LOL

T-man49 in Al
    Club Saito 723
    Spitfire ro 19

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi T-man,
    The exhaust tends to be black, not just in break in, but also running. It is gasoline so there is a carbon residue, like in a 2 stroke outboard motor. I tend to see it as the plane is predominantly white. Overall I would say it is about 25% of what you get with nitro, and cleans off much easier as well as it's not that thick residue you get with nitro.

Ken,
    I don't know if there are plans for a CL version of this motor, but if you use throttle anyway, I could see this working well for CL stunt with the right prop. If I run the needle a bit on the rich side I can get a nice 4-2-4 break like the old Fox 35's.

Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Ken,
    I have just confirmed with NV that they will be offering a CL version of the Gas 40.

Bill

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It would also be nice if they did a NV 60 gasser. I would jump on it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I run 100 octane unleaded racing fuel in my planes, not so smelly. I did ask Norvell if it would run on this and the answer was yes!
    ULTRA SPORT BROTHERHOOD #120
    GOLDBERG TIGER CLUB #10
    CLUB SAITO #590

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi AJ,
    Do you run the Sunoco racing fuel? Or Cam2?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's Sunoco out of the pump, but Sunoco has a couple of fuels @ 100 octane so I would have to go to the station to see what one it is.

Andy
    GOLDBERG TIGER CLUB #10
    CLUB SAITO #590

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks AJ,
    I have a Sunoco that sells racing fuel a couple of towns up.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you for all the information on this engine! Can't wait until they go up for sale!
    GOLDBERG TIGER CLUB #10
    CLUB SAITO #590

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok, I got a chance to go out and fly it today with the MAS 12X5. I think it is definatley on the outward edge of what this will swing. In fact it's just kind of wrong to strap a 12X5 on a 40 in the first place. However, it did so without complaint, but I can't realy call this a great choice for this motor, but I tend to be a bit picky. The APC 11X6 produces much more thrust, mostly because it unloads so much more in the air and lets the motor get into it's power zone. I am going to call the rpm at 10800-10900 on the ground with a good stable idle at 2200. Again, it's servicable and you may like it, just think the other props do the job better.

At this point I feel that the APC 11X6 and 10X7 will cover just about 95% of all flying uses for this motor. For planes like the LA, Escapade, 4 Star 40, and the 50 other planes in that class the 11X6 makes for a super nice flying 2nd or 3rd plane with plenty of power and it runs like a swiss watch. My plane has increased throws and the CG moved back a bit, so for me the 10X7 is just plain more fun to fly it with. Same would go foor a 40 size Kaos or Super Sporster and the like. Remember you are shedding a few oz with this motor alone, plus need to carry less fuel, so it's an instand power-to-weight boost before you begin. While it isn't quite as smooth as the 11X6, the extra speed is welcome and it still has plenty of thrust to do vertical 8's at will and as large as you like. Now remember I said I'm picky, so when I say "not as smooth" it's still smoother and more consistant than my OS 55AX with a 11X7 or 8, so take that with a BIG grain of salt and I tend to keep the 10X7 parked on the plane.

For any 40 size trainer, again the APC 11X6 would be hard to beat. If I had someone learning landings and tended to go through a lot of props, the MAS 11X6 would do the job and save a lot on prop strikes. It's just that the APC performs better and the motor has the guts to put it to good use.

For something like a Cub, I would still go with the 11X6 as it just has gobs of thrust and still slows down nicely for landings. Unless I had something that needed to land at a riddiculously slow speed, then I would opt for the APC 12.25X3.75 as it easily outperforms the MAS 12X5 on this engine, both in terms of speed, thrust, and throttles up quickly, while slowing down to "almost backwards" for landings.

You could also put it in a Kadet Senoir or Telemaster with larger tank and fly around for 30 minute flights, or throttle it back and chase thermals for an hour, or until you get kicked off the flight line.

So between these three props, you can cover just about any plane and keep the motor in it's best "Happy Zone" and make maximum use of the props and what this engine can do.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I like the 12x4 for my Sig Rascal. So, it sounds like this engine will handle it well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes the 12X4 would run similar to the 12.25X3.75 and keep the motor in it's power band. Landings can be done at a crawl with those props, closer to a harrier landing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Hllywdb,

Been a while without any activity here. Any word of when NV might make this engine available? Been checking their web site but no mention there.

Been watching a Royal Cessna 310Q on the Bay and thinking of these.

T-man49 in Al
    Club Saito 723
    Spitfire Bro 19

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hope soon ! 🍺
    GOLDBERG TIGER CLUB #10
    CLUB SAITO #590

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi T-man,
    Not sure, but they may be close. Remember they have multiple new models in developement right now. On a positive note, I was out flying mine today and I realy couldn't ask it to do more than it does. It is one of those motors than just keeps running better the more fuel I run through it. The power it makes kind of sneaks up on you as it breaks in more and more. You don't notice it every week, but as I was doing a vertical "8" today it occured to me that I was just over half throttle doing it. This is one of those motors that deserves a good break in, and it will reward you for years.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hllywdb

Know that something in the 10cc range is being considered by NV, . . . and considering the sucess you've had with the 6.5 gas version, . . . .

Give us some insight - or - just your thoughts on new developments at NV.

Many Thanx
    T-man49

Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast