Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine

Old 09-09-2014, 04:47 PM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I figured it out. There was a piece of junk in there. Now it works right. It was in the slot the throttle stop screw rides in.
Old 09-09-2014, 04:50 PM
CafeenMan

Woo Hoo! And I found the instructions. They are one of the maybe 10 items that actually made it into the binders when I got started organizing.

Who would have guessed there were where they were supposed to be???
Old 09-09-2014, 04:50 PM
CafeenMan

I should buy a lotto ticket now.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:06 PM
hllywdb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see that worked out for you. Pick up a ticket for me too
Old 09-09-2014, 06:19 PM
CafeenMan

Honestly, I don't buy lottery tickets. The best description I've ever heard on them is they're a tax on people who can't do math.

However, a co-worker gave me one a couple years ago of the multi-win type as a Christmas gift. I kept scratching and winning. I figured it had to be diagonal, across, vertical or something because every other box was a win and that couldn't be right. The folks in the office didn't buy tickets either so nobody could tell me what was up. Took it to a 7-11 after work and sure enough I won $200 bucks. So I used a bit of it to buy the person who gave it to me a nice gift and a nice Christmas.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:31 PM
CafeenMan

I have one last question and I think I'm good unless I start having problems running this engine.

What kind of run times are you getting from what size tanks? I'd like to go as small as possible - even 6 oz if it's practical. I usually shoot for being able to fly 15 minutes so I doubt 6 oz will cut it. I definitely won't go more than 10 oz though.

This plane will be cruising around 1/2 throttle most of the time. Full throttle will be basically take offs and those times I want to climb like a home-bound angel so I can spin toward the ground for a couple minutes.

It's not slow cruiser, but medium slow cruiser. Slower than a Stik. Maybe trainer speeds.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:17 PM
the pope

Hi there cman , I think you will be fine with the the 6oz tank . My engine is in a phoenix scanner and I fly around mostly nearly flat out and I'm surprise that I usually only have to wind the fuel pump about 4 turns to fill it back up . I have the timer set for 10min. but I usually land before times up and Im not sure what size tank they use so this info might be of help OR NOT .Cheers the pope
Old 09-09-2014, 08:59 PM
CafeenMan

Thanks Pope. I just have to take the info you've given me and do some simple math.

mumbles..... err.... this is a word problem.

Given miscellaneous size tank filled to some capacity.
Flight duration: More than zero minutes. Less than 10 minutes.
Throttle Setting: Balls Out.
Fuel Remaining: Exactly Approximately 4ish turns.

errr mumble, mumble, mumble..... my wing area divided by your wing area factoring local area humidity differences plus grass density stuffed into wheel pants minus the plane's sheer will to remain airborne plus the FAA's insistence that it doesn't and the incredible lightness of two fewer cells using LIFE batteries but lower current draw when flying inverted due the battery being above the receiver in inverted flight and man I really don't like this prop I meant to change it before I flew it again and who is that who always manages to find a reason to yell to someone the whole time I'm flying when someone is taping the flight for my website and he's the guy who never knows what he's talking about anyway jesus someone tell him to shut up please I have got to find somewhere else to fly.

So 8 ounces for test flights and adjust from there.

Thanks Pope!
Old 09-09-2014, 09:40 PM
the pope

Boy cman you are a brainy dude . I just use the suck it and see method . Keep flying till you run out of gas and adjust your timer from there . Using this method my head doesnt hurt as much but sometimes my wallet does . Cheers the pope
Old 09-09-2014, 09:42 PM
CafeenMan

Yeah, that's pretty much how I work it out as well too. But this is a whole different kind of engine so I don't have a baseline.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:25 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The specs on the NV site say 20 oz. / hr. So my grade 12 math says 5 oz for 15 minutes. I had to go to summer school for the grade 12 math.
Old 09-10-2014, 03:29 AM
CafeenMan

Thanks
Old 09-10-2014, 08:48 AM
MTK

Originally Posted by CafeenMan
Thanks Pope. I just have to take the info you've given me and do some simple math.

mumbles..... err.... this is a word problem.

Given miscellaneous size tank filled to some capacity.
Flight duration: More than zero minutes. Less than 10 minutes.
Throttle Setting: Balls Out.
Fuel Remaining: Exactly Approximately 4ish turns.

errr mumble, mumble, mumble..... my wing area divided by your wing area factoring local area humidity differences plus grass density stuffed into wheel pants minus the plane's sheer will to remain airborne plus the FAA's insistence that it doesn't and the incredible lightness of two fewer cells using LIFE batteries but lower current draw when flying inverted due the battery being above the receiver in inverted flight and man I really don't like this prop I meant to change it before I flew it again and who is that who always manages to find a reason to yell to someone the whole time I'm flying when someone is taping the flight for my website and he's the guy who never knows what he's talking about anyway jesus someone tell him to shut up please I have got to find somewhere else to fly.

So 8 ounces for test flights and adjust from there.

Thanks Pope!
Hey Caffeeen,

Watch out dude, that dot is an Amazon drone ready to drop its load
Old 09-12-2014, 07:01 PM
hllywdb

I have a 9oz tank and fly "spirited" aerobatics. I set my timer for 15 minutes and when it goes off I usually land after a few more laps. In almost 3 years I have yet to burn a half a tank of fuel.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:47 AM
CafeenMan

After all the advanced mathematics I did, it turns out that fitting an 8 ounce tank is going to be a problem. So all this gas sipping you folks are talking about is good news. Looks like a 6 ounce tank is going to have to go in somehow.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:27 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Any word on a gas .60 yet? I need another forty like a hole in the head, but would drop the funds for a NV gas sixty ...
Old 09-14-2014, 11:14 AM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

fiery, Have made same inquiry to NV site on their forum recently.

Answer received was that, while designed, they seemed to be too busy.

While OS has the 15cc size . . . . and believe it operates on a more "normal" oil mix . . . .
it does seem to more comparable to a 60 size .

I would also very much like a 60 size that acted "bigger" than its' cc capacity normally does -
even with a 14% castor mix

T-man49 in Al
Old 09-14-2014, 01:52 PM
aspeed

I think the OS has a needle bearing on the rod, so it can use less oil. I am sure the Norvel could get some good power out of a .60. -If they have time.
Old 09-15-2014, 03:57 PM
Charley

Thinking I might buy this engine just to play with it. Is it well enough constructed that it's worth $170?

CR
Old 09-15-2014, 04:05 PM
Billsky
My Feedback: (37)

How often do you rinse the engine of the castor oil? The engine instructions suggest to use denatured alcohol. I had my GX40 out today, it's mounted on a hangar 9 tribute. Not sure how often others or if anyone does rinse the engine.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:32 PM
aspeed

Originally Posted by Charley
Thinking I might buy this engine just to play with it. Is it well enough constructed that it's worth $170?

CR
Is an OS Gas motor worth $400? I don't have the .40, but their other motors are pretty good. .049, .06, .074, and .15's are the ones I have. The important tolerances are good.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:58 PM
Charley

Originally Posted by aspeed
Is an OS Gas motor worth $400?
Not to me. I'm not a fan of OS.

I don't have the .40, but their other motors are pretty good. .049, .06, .074, and .15's are the ones I have.
Too bad you can't speak for the .40.

CR
Old 09-15-2014, 06:53 PM
CafeenMan

I haven't taken the Norvel apart but I can tell you that it looks like quality everywhere I look at it. I think it's a very nice looking engine. Not having run it or even disassembled it I can't say any more about it though. I've always been a fan of off-beat engines though so I don't mind spending the money on it. I just bought a second OS Wankel even though my first is still running strong. As you probably know, a comparable two-stroke is going to be 1/4 to 1/3 the price of the Wankel as well as use far less fuel. So it's obviously not economical, but I still love the engine and don't mind the $$$. That's just me.

Now I am a fan of OS as every engine I've had has been a jewel. I've never had a bit of trouble with any of them and can always count on an engine that starts very easily and a tick-over idle. Top end is sacrificed for that but they're as good as any sport engine in the power department and if I want raw power then I'll look at the specialty engines (Nelson, Rossi, etc.).

That said, I'm generally not a brand-loyalty fan-boy. I'm definitely not putting your stickers on my stuff. I bought your product. I'm not paying for the privilege of giving you free advertising as well. And I never feel obligated to your company for anything. If your product works well I like you but business is business. I bought your product, you made a profit. We're not friends and blind loyalty isn't my thing.

I have engines from all over the place - Fox, Norvel, Magnum, DLE, OS, Cox (who doesn't?), HB, YS, NovaRossi, Webra, etc. I probably have more Fox and OS than anything else although I bought (4) NovaRossi engines at the same time which put them ahead of several others in quantity in one purchase.

I've only had a couple engines that were actually difficult to run and one in particular I could never get a decent transition out of - a Webra .32. I have a feeling it had a lot to do with fuel. I bought it in Germany so it's probably made for FAI fuel and I was running probably 15% in it. A head shim or lower nitro or something would probably make a world of difference. I only had one decent sport plane at the time and didn't feel like messing with it so I switched it for a different engine and haven't played with it since so I never really gave it much of a chance. It think I used it two weekends and gave up pretty easily on it. I'm sure the engine is fine and just needs me to try a couple things.

Anyway, assuming this Norvel has no problems running I would buy it again for the price. And I don't have a lot of .40's so having another isn't a bad thing for me. I have a Fox .45 BB Schneurle which has a ton or hours on it. It's circa 1980 and was running great last time I used it.

I have an OS .46 FSR (or whatever was the replacement).

Then I have a K&B .40 that had a backplate pump that I don't have any more but it still has the pump carb. That means it probably won't draw fuel so well and I'll need a different carb or a pump.

Lastly I have a Royal .40 that I bought a David Diesel head for and had too big of a prop on and snapped the conrod. So it's deadlined until I can find a part that fits (maybe from an OS?).

So basically only one .40 that's probably not going to work well without a new carb or pump and two .45's. Not exactly a basket full of them.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Charley

I may buy the NV .40 gasser just to play with it. It's a hobby Eh?

About the Royal .40 you mentioned. Looks like the Royals were OS clones made by Magnum and/or Thunder Tiger for Royal, Inc. I remember a flying buddy had a TT .40 ABC that was a great little engine. Here's old thread that you may find interesting : http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/glow...ines-info.html

regards,

CR

Last edited by Charley; 09-16-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:25 AM
CafeenMan

Years ago someone told me the OS .40 conrod would fit the Royal but I didn't get one then and now that engine is out of production too. Not a huge big deal. I just don't like having things that don't work, but a good .40 is easily obtained. It's just having an engine sitting around needing a part is bugging me. Plus I have the Davis head. At the time I was too poor to send off for the right prop and was using a 16" on it which is how I kept breaking rods - at least 3 of them.

So I'd like to get it back together with the right prop and see if I can get a diesel running properly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.