Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Testing the new NV (Norvel) .40 size (6.5cc) gasoline glow engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 05:08 PM
CafeenMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the pope
Hey there c-man not all of us are naturally gifted like you ! I have enough trouble building with plans , without them would be a disaster . My moto is if it hasnt got straight sides or a flat bottom I forget about them , thats why I like the stiks so much . Cheers the pope
Man I am NOT gifted. I was that kid with no patience and bit off more than he could chew every single time. Learning to build was nothing but misery for me. I threw out almost every flying model I tried to build for years until I finally learned a little patience and had some success. But it was work, not a gift.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:15 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I first started to build model airplanes all I had available was Elmer's Glue. You learned a lot of patience waiting for the glue to dry. Later I discovered Titbond and it dries a little faster than Elmer's glue but not all that much. There was a cement glue but I didn't really care for it much. Now one time when I discovered 5 minute epoxy, I built a .60 plane using it, and the plane worked Ok, but it was a little on the heavy side though. Then when super glue came out, it was like a whole new world opened up. I remember doing weekend building binges to build up three or four Quickie 500 planes for racing the next weekend, all with super glue and some 5 minute epoxy. Of course nowadays I tend to be more lazy and go with ARF's a lot more.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:21 PM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by earlwb
When I first started to build model airplanes all I had available was Elmer's Glue. You learned a lot of patience waiting for the glue to dry. Later I discovered Titbond and it dries a little faster than Elmer's glue but not all that much. There was a cement glue but I didn't really care for it much. Now one time when I discovered 5 minute epoxy, I built a .60 plane using it, and the plane worked Ok, but it was a little on the heavy side though. Then when super glue came out, it was like a whole new world opened up. I remember doing weekend building binges to build up three or four Quickie 500 planes for racing the next weekend, all with super glue and some 5 minute epoxy. Of course nowadays I tend to be more lazy and go with ARF's a lot more.
Hah! I can just see you sheeting foam wings with 5 minute epoxy. I used Testors glue. Got high as a kite one day after building a wing in a closed bedroom.

CR
Old 09-23-2014, 07:44 PM
Charley

Originally Posted by the pope
Hi there Charles , Mine is in a phonex scanner . Unlike some of the experts will tell you , this engine has the power similar to a 40-46 . These so called experts will grab for the calculator and say that this is impossible and its power has to be like a 25 BUT they havent even got one or most likely even seen one run . Get one I dont think you'll be sorry just give the plane a wipe down between flights as its pretty messy but thats 1/2 the fun . Cheers the pope
Had me chasing my tail until I tried Phoenix Scanner. There's a US distributor, ZiGi Models, but they don't list the Scanner. I'll shoot 'em an Email. Are you happy with the power to weight ratio?

I was thinking of the GP Super Sportster 40 ARF, but I wasn't sure the NV .40 could haul it around. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAVR1&P=ML
Vat'cha 'tink?

CR
Old 09-23-2014, 08:07 PM
the pope

Yeh its pretty good . If your just looking for your typical generic 40 size sport plane performance you'll be fine . I went for the scanner because it had a smaller w/s and it was cheap ( which is me all over ) . The quality of the phonex planes is better than they use to be and now there on par with just about anyone else . Its a good combo in my opinion . I cant comment on the GP plane as Ive never had one . Cheers the pope
Old 09-24-2014, 03:34 AM
earlwb

The NV_Engines GX 40 will fly the GP Super Sportster just fine. Unless you are someone who likes to put .60 glow engines on .40 size planes.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:38 AM
earlwb

Originally Posted by Charley
Hah! I can just see you sheeting foam wings with 5 minute epoxy. I used Testors glue. Got high as a kite one day after building a wing in a closed bedroom.

CR
Yeah Testors cement, that was the stuff. You had to be careful where you used it.
Yes I think that trying to sheet a foam wing with 5 minute epoxy would be an act of futility unless you were really really fast.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Charley

Originally Posted by earlwb
The NV_Engines GX 40 will fly the GP Super Sportster just fine. Unless you are someone who likes to put .60 glow engines on .40 size planes.
Not me. I have a Super Sportster EP ARF that has an outrunner on it. That thing will accelerate straight up. A few years back, It silenced the guys who claimed that electrics were all under powered. With the GX, if the SS 40 will do a round loop from level flight I'll be happy. If I get the SS, I'll probably have to move the LG to a block in the fuse just ahead of the wing. I've read that the wing-mounted LG is a weak point in a hard landing. I have a Ace Cloud Dancer that used to bend the wing-mounted LG struts on normal landings. I finally put a dural gear on a block in the fuse. No probs since & it cured the nose overs when landing on grass.

If push comes to shove; I have an old Scat Cat that has a ST S-.40 ABC on it. It weighs ~4 lbs dry. I could put the NV on it. With a 10x7 prop it would haul buns! Not really what I want, though.

CR
Old 09-24-2014, 12:21 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Electrics are to quite. I like models I can fly blindfolded. You only need sonic directional finding. Makes it easier when you get up to pop open a new can of beer! Not only can you find it in the sky easier, you know to bring it back when the volume fades.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:50 PM
hsukaria

Not me. I have a Super Sportster EP ARF that has an outrunner on it. That thing will accelerate straight up. A few years back, It silenced the guys who claimed that electrics were all under powered. With the GX, if the SS 40 will do a round loop from level flight I'll be happy. If I get the SS, I'll probably have to move the LG to a block in the fuse just ahead of the wing. I've read that the wing-mounted LG is a weak point in a hard landing. I have a Ace Cloud Dancer that used to bend the wing-mounted LG struts on normal landings. I finally put a dural gear on a block in the fuse. No probs since & it cured the nose overs when landing on grass.

If push comes to shove; I have an old Scat Cat that has a ST S-.40 ABC on it. It weighs ~4 lbs dry. I could put the NV on it. With a 10x7 prop it would haul buns! Not really what I want, though.

CR
If you don't like the landing gear of the Super Sporster, the Great Planes Escapade is very similar but with the fuselage-mounted landing gear. I tried the AX-40 (glow) on it and it flew like a low-wing trainer. The GX-40 would give it a sport-plane performance. The Escapade weights about 4.5 lbs.
Old 09-26-2014, 04:32 AM
Charley

Originally Posted by hsukaria
If you don't like the landing gear of the Super Sporster, the Great Planes Escapade is very similar but with the fuselage-mounted landing gear. I tried the AX-40 (glow) on it and it flew like a low-wing trainer. The GX-40 would give it a sport-plane performance. The Escapade weights about 4.5 lbs.
No probs moving the SS gear to the fuse, I've done it before. There'd be no Q in my mind if I liked the SS color scheme better.

I looked at the Escapade; not bad. Could get it light with 3 mini servos & a micro on throttle. Could cause CG issues though. Be a shame to use lightweight servos & then have to ballast the tail. Nuts, I'm borrowing trouble!

CR
Old 09-26-2014, 04:40 AM
Charley

Default Wash the GX?

Guys,

I note in the instructions that is says to wipe the engine down with alcohol or model fuel in order to remove the preservative coating the factory applied before shipping. Did everyone do that? How much goop came off? I wouldn't bother if I was sure the preservative wouldn't bake on & turn brown after break-in.

CR
Old 09-26-2014, 05:03 AM
hsukaria

No probs moving the SS gear to the fuse, I've done it before. There'd be no Q in my mind if I liked the SS color scheme better.

I looked at the Escapade; not bad. Could get it light with 3 mini servos & a micro on throttle. Could cause CG issues though. Be a shame to use lightweight servos & then have to ballast the tail. Nuts, I'm borrowing trouble!

CR
I tried my Escapade 40 with the Norvel AX-40 and standard servos. I had to move the battery all the way forward above the fuel tank to balance the CG. The plane was originally balanced for a Super Tigre G51 with a llightweight MACs one-piece muffler. So, the NV GX-40 weighs the same as the AX-40 and the plane would be somewhat tail heavy with standard servos.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:48 AM
Charley

hsukaria,

That's good info, thanks.

I ordered the Escapade. I'll put it together, less servos & battery, put it on the CG stand & trial fit things until I get the CG right. Now getting back on the thread subject: Time to do the "Cold break in" on the engine.

CR

Last edited by Charley; 09-27-2014 at 02:50 AM.
Old 09-27-2014, 12:19 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

i have read many threads on this engine. everything from balance of the plane it's going in to what servos to use. what i am interested in is the engine any good. seems once it is broken in it runs ok. i would be using benol oil nothing else. does it mix ok with gas ? a pint of benol should make about a gallon i understand. i see it making 80 oz of mix at 20-1 is this right? glo fuel has gone up to 26.00 a gallon and to my calculations this engine burns approx 1/4 of the fuel a nitro burns. a great savings for sure. just wanted some answers from those who have these engines and how you like them.. thanks for all the info from you guys in all the threads for sure................RON
Old 09-27-2014, 01:32 PM
triumphman49
My Feedback: (149)

Hi Geeter,
The NV gasser wants 14% castor ! ! That amounts to 110 gas + 18 oil . . . . or . . . gal + 21 oil. Personally I've used Sig castor - it takes longer with more shaking to mix than Benol, but it's what I have on hand.
I really like mine, a little messy at first but does get better. You can have a 3D plane or swing an oversized (for a 40) prop on a scale plane.
Only run mine on the stand so can't give a flite report as have been too busy at working

T-man49 in Al
Old 09-28-2014, 05:21 AM
Charley

T-man,

Have you written down any prop vs RPM figures after break in?

CR
Old 09-28-2014, 10:21 AM
triumphman49

Hey Charley,

Wouldn't say mine is broken in yet as only have 2 - 10 oz tanks thru it. Ran a 11x6 MA and got it up to 11K. with a
2500 idle. Been suggested still a little fat with the lo needle. I think 13K is the benchmark.

Used midgrade no methanol gas, topped off my vehicle, and added 2 oz castor per tenth gal pumped.

Have a 40 sz Rascal clone and will probably try a 12x4 APC on it. Early reports on this thread referenced over 10k
with this prop.

T-man49 in Al
Mike Brennan
Old 09-28-2014, 06:04 PM
Charley

Originally Posted by triumphman49
Hey Charley,

Wouldn't say mine is broken in yet as only have 2 - 10 oz tanks thru it. Ran a 11x6 MA and got it up to 11K. with a
2500 idle. Been suggested still a little fat with the lo needle. I think 13K is the benchmark.

Used midgrade no methanol gas, topped off my vehicle, and added 2 oz castor per tenth gal pumped.

Have a 40 sz Rascal clone and will probably try a 12x4 APC on it. Early reports on this thread referenced over 10k
with this prop.

T-man49 in Al
Mike Brennan
Isn't that a little generous on the oil?

CR
Old 09-29-2014, 12:25 PM
Sport_Pilot

I thought all gas was no methanol gas. In fact if they used methanol instead of ethanol there would be less issues.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:47 PM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I thought all gas was no methanol gas. In fact if they used methanol instead of ethanol there would be less issues.
I'm sure he meant ethanol. Less issues for the engines, but more issues to the environment, I heard.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:33 PM
triumphman49

Yeah, I did use an extra letter, noticed it but chose not to edit . . . . but do the math - 13.5% 64 oz(.5gal)+10 oz oil makes 74 oz. Divide 10 by 74 . .. . . . .
Old 09-29-2014, 02:37 PM
Charley

Originally Posted by triumphman49
Yeah, I did use an extra letter, noticed it but chose not to edit . . . . but do the math - 13.5% 64 oz(.5gal)+10 oz oil makes 74 oz. Divide 10 by 74 . .. . . . .
Yep, I kicked the numbers around: how much gas for a pint of oil? So, 16/.14 = 114.3 oz So figuring that I'll never get the entire 16 oz out of the pint bottle
try 15% = 16/.15 = 106.6 oz . So .8 gal = 102.4 oz . Wound up liking your idea of 2 oz oil per 1/10 gal of gas. That should get the mix around 16% oil which I like for break in. Good onya , T-man!

BTW was looking for a local source for Benol. I found it through Walmart for $13 & change per quart, delivered. Fell into a sale.

CR
Old 09-30-2014, 02:51 AM
Charley

Default Muffler Swap?

Does anybody have a straight -out muffler that they'd like to trade for a tilt-down?

CR
Old 09-30-2014, 03:35 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by hsukaria
I'm sure he meant ethanol. Less issues for the engines, but more issues to the environment, I heard.

Actually less issues with the envionment. The transportation and energy costs for ethanol outweigh any envrionmental gain. Methanol is made more cleanly and at less cost by using catalytic reactions to natural gas. Both burn cleanly in the engines.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.