Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

ys engine after run lube.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 05:48 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ys engine after run lube.

i have a ys 1.20 fz four stroke. it says don't use any petroleum lubes for after run oil. what oil should i use ? there are ones with teflon,should these be used............thanks
Old 11-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Altered1

Default RE: ys engine after run lube.

Hi Ron,

Some people use Marvel mystery oil, others use AT Fluid, others use a squirt of WD40 and there are also brand name after run oils..... each option will have it's supporters and detractors. What can you get your hands on ?

[edit] petroleum based stuff could damage any rubber bits on the engine

Old 11-08-2012, 09:51 PM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best thing to do is get some straight synthetic glow fuel oil like Klotz. Marvel, ATF,and WD40 are petroleum.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:51 PM
oskartek

geeter,
I have used AMSOIL Dextron ATF for after run oil in my YS engines with very good results.
If you can find a synthetic air tool oil and mix about 25% total content with the ATF that will work well.
The reason you do not want to get any petroleum in the engine is it will kill the diaphragm.
That being said, most the people I know with YS four stroke engines don't bother with after run oil.
Happy flyin', Oscar
Old 11-09-2012, 08:13 AM
geeter

thanks for the info. yes wd-40 and atf are a no-no. it has to be petroleum distillate free. some use a little castor oil, i heard. the blenzall kind . not the drugstore kind. thats not degummed and can cause trouble. ................thanks again.........GOOD FLY'IN.........
Old 11-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: geeter

thanks for the info. yes wd-40 and atf are a no-no. it has to be petroleum distillate free. some use a little castor oil, i heard. the blenzall kind . not the drugstore kind. thats not degummed and can cause trouble. ................thanks again.........GOOD FLY'IN.........RON
I've found that even degummed castor will get sticky over a long enough time. I've used Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil in all my engines with good results.

CR
Old 11-09-2012, 09:54 AM
oskartek

Using castor as a after run oil is ok I think as so little is exposed to combustion.
The problem with running castor in four strokes is over a long period of running 
it tends to gum up the valve stems and guides causing them to stick.
I prefer to run synthetics but I know some who run 2% to 5% castor.
Higher maintenance is the only result.

USP Castor from a pharmacy is pure and first pressing but expensive, better deal from Sig or Klotz.

Happy flyin', Oscar
Old 11-10-2012, 07:02 AM
kenh3497

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Synthetic oils don't "stick" to the internal parts as well as conventional oils do. If you don't over do it, IMO, any regular oil will be fine. Just don't run it through the fuel system. My FZ53 has a mylar diaphragm so no issue with oil.

Ken
Old 11-10-2012, 12:03 PM
d_bodary
My Feedback: (85)

I have used performance specialties after run oil in my YS engines. Have also used Mobil 1 Ow20 or something like that it was )w anyways. Both work great. the Mobil 1 will be less money by far in the long run. About $8.00 per quart versus 8oz. for $8.00
Old 11-10-2012, 01:02 PM
countilaw

Over the years a lot of us have found Marvel Mystery Oil to work great. It will also free up a gummed engine. Marvel Mystery Oil was developed in 1926 for the use in air craft engines. It works for oil treatment as well as gas treatment and it cost less than $5 a quart.

I put it in my lawn mower gas, my truck, and my O.S. engines. All you need is a few drop down the carb of your engine, and spin it over a few times.

You can get it at any Orielly's, Auto Zone, Napa, or any other automotive supply store.

Frank
Old 11-11-2012, 07:04 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

This is directly out of the OS manual for the 120

"Do not leave unused fuel in the engine at the conclusion of a
day's flying. Accepted practice is to cut off the fuel supply
while the engine is still running - at full throttle - then, expel
as much fuel residue as possible by turning the engine over
for 5-10 seconds with the electric starter.
Finally, inject some after-run oil through the glowplug hole and
turn the engine over several times by hand.
When the engine is not to be used for some months (for
example, as between flying seasons) a worthwhile precaution
is to remove it from the airframe and, after washing off the
exterior with alcohol (not gasoline or kerosene) to carefully
remove the fuel pump, carburettor with intake pipe and all
silicone tubes and put them safely aside.
Make sure that the engine is reasonably clean externally, then
remove the glowplug and immerse the engine in a container
of kerosene. Rotate the crankshaft while the engine is
immersed. If foreign matter is visible in the kerosene, rinse the
engine again in clean kerosene, before removing it, vigorously
shaking off the excess and wiping it dry.
CARE & MAINTENANCE (laying up)
The fuel pump assembly, carburettor/pressure-regulator and
silicone tubes must be cleansed separately in methanol or
glow fuel. On -no account must they come into contact with
kerosene.
Before completely reassembling the engine, make sure that
no kerosene remains inside that could find its way into the
pump unit, carburettor, etc. Inject, sparingly, preserving oils,
rust inhibitors, etc. unless approved for silicone-rubber
products.
An appropriate alternative here may be one of the high-quality
synthetic lubricating oils.
Finally, seal the engine in a heavy polyethylene bag until
required for refitting to the airframe."

I am sure YS is similar-but it warns of using additives unless they are approved for silicone rubber products-MARVEL OIL will harm your rubber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-Use a sythetic lube oil such as klotz.

I have been using this method for several years now and I do not have bearing troubles anymore after I quit using marvel and atf.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:35 AM
Four Stroker

I am always amazed at the damn fool crap you can read on forums. Some of the people responding are ten and have never owned an engine. Most of the people responding have never owned a YS engine. You get the answers from 40 years ago - C.F. Lee. YS engines are full of silicone rubber seals, O-rings, diaphragms. Performance Specialties (Dave Shadel) AF oil is specific to YS engines. Mobile 1 and Mobile 1 pure synthetic ATF will not harm silicone but may not be a good after run oil. Castor ? Really ? Richard Verano loves you guys since half of his business is repairing engines that were pumped full of after run crap.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:54 AM
wcmorrison
My Feedback: (2)

I would not recommend WD-40 for any longer term protection.  First it is a solvent and it is said the the WD stands for "Water Disperasnt."  It will evaporate.  I used compressor oil with is generally non-detergent and seems to do the job well.  I have also used Auto Tranny fluid and Shaler Rislone. 
Old 11-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Ernie Misner

Unless the engine is still new WD-40 will break loose micro rust particles. Those particles will then get run through the engine on start up. I've seen boat guys use it though but they use it from day one.

Ernie Misner
Old 11-14-2012, 03:04 PM
geeter

wd -40 is no good for ys engines. to answer my own question. i'm useing mobil 1 as an after run. the ultra lube is no longer available i don't think........ mobil 1 won't hurt it in fact they recommend it on the ys forum...........thanks
Old 11-14-2012, 09:00 PM
countilaw

ORIGINAL: Four Stroker

I am always amazed at the damn fool crap you can read on forums. Some of the people responding are ten and have never owned an engine. Most of the people responding have never owned a YS engine. You get the answers from 40 years ago - C.F. Lee. YS engines are full of silicone rubber seals, O-rings, diaphragms. Performance Specialties (Dave Shadel) AF oil is specific to YS engines. Mobile 1 and Mobile 1 pure synthetic ATF will not harm silicone but may not be a good after run oil. Castor ? Really ? Richard Verano loves you guys since half of his business is repairing engines that were pumped full of after run crap.

Four Stroker, I have to agree with you. It's really something to see so many self proclaimed experts with all this advice that they have little or no knowledge about.

I ask, are there "o" rings in the fuel injection system of a car? Are there rubber, silicone seals, or diaphrams in a automobile transmission?

Now I ask, are there "o" rings in the crank case, air passages and combustion chamber of a YS or any other 2 or 4 stroke engine? Did anyone say to run the after run oil through the fuel lines? Does Castor Oil have rust inhibitors in it? Does Castor Oil gum up after sitting up?

Everyone has their own formula for making after run oil. From mixing ATF with Castor and ATF with Mobil One.

Marvel Mystery Oil has been around for a long time. Ask the owner of a 1939 Cub if he uses Marvel Mystery Oil in his fuel and oil? 9 times out of 10 he will say that he does.

I've got engines that I am still flying that were made in the 70's. Still running strong and all had Marvel Mystery Oil used as an after run oil.
So, If they have lasted this long, then I will continue using Marvel Mystery Oil.

Maybe it's disolved all the "o" rings in my crank case. Because I haven't been able to find any in there.

Frank

Old 11-15-2012, 09:44 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

ORIGINAL: countilaw

Have you owned or run a YS engine? They are NOT like other model engines on the market. They contain silicone parts inside the crankcase that will be destroyed due to petroleum based products. We are not referring to fuel lines or carb o-rings. A tank pressure fed YS engine has fuel pressure regulator built into the crankcase that contains a silicone diaphragm. It will come in contact with anything that is injected into the crankcase. It will then swell and cease to function properly.
Using your MM oil in standard 2 strokes and 4 strokes is just fine, lots of folks have done it for years. YS's ARE NOT STANDARD ENGINES!!

Four Stroker, I have to agree with you. It's really something to see so many self proclaimed experts with all this advice that they have little or no knowledge about.

I ask, are there ''o'' rings in the fuel injection system of a car? Are there rubber, silicone seals, or diaphrams in a automobile transmission?

Now I ask, are there ''o'' rings in the crank case, air passages and combustion chamber of a YS or any other 2 or 4 stroke engine? Did anyone say to run the after run oil through the fuel lines? Does Castor Oil have rust inhibitors in it? Does Castor Oil gum up after sitting up?

Everyone has their own formula for making after run oil. From mixing ATF with Castor and ATF with Mobil One.

Marvel Mystery Oil has been around for a long time. Ask the owner of a 1939 Cub if he uses Marvel Mystery Oil in his fuel and oil? 9 times out of 10 he will say that he does.

I've got engines that I am still flying that were made in the 70's. Still running strong and all had Marvel Mystery Oil used as an after run oil.
So, If they have lasted this long, then I will continue using Marvel Mystery Oil.

Maybe it's disolved all the ''o'' rings in my crank case. Because I haven't been able to find any in there.

Frank