Demise of MVVS Glow Engines?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 12:55 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Demise of MVVS Glow Engines?

Pe

In another post elswhere at RCU you mentioned that MVVS was ceasing manufacture of glow engines,
or maybe the smaller glow engines.

Can you provide some further details? Is this true, or just a rumour?

To my mind, that, following the demise of MVVS's manufacture of small diesels, it would be a great pity,
however I am very aware of manufacturers needing to align resources to meet market forces ... and the march of electric power continues to carve an ever increasing slice of the r/c pie ...
Old 01-31-2008, 01:39 AM
Hans Meij

Default RE: Demise of MVVS Glow Engines?

At Pe's site the glow engines that are marked discontinued:
http://www.mvvs.nl/MVVS/main_bestand...s-engines.html

Or what is left of the glow engines at this German distributer page
http://www.mvvs.net/index.php?cPath=12_9
Old 01-31-2008, 02:01 AM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fiery,

This is not a rumor.

MVVS is going with the market and is gradually switching from the production of small glow engines, to premium brushless electric motors.

So far, they have electric replacement motors for their 2 cc (.12), 3.5 cc (.21), 4.6 cc (.28) and ... a 5.6 cc electric that was supposed to replace a .35 engine that they never made.

You can see their offerings [link=http://mvvs.cz/elektromotory.html]here[/link].

More sizes to cover the 6.5 to 13 cc range will be on offer soon and they have enlisted the best brushless expert to work solely for them now.

Unlike other manufacturers of lesser brushless motors, MVVS use the glow equivalent size in cc, as the prefix for the motor's designation... I.e. the 3.5/960 motor has the output of a 3.5 cc glow engine, with a kV of 960 RPM/V.

The objectionable noise, smell, safety, airframe damage (vibrations and oil) Etc. of the glow engine...
Well, a person beginning in R/C today is 4.6 times more likely to buy a brushless+ESC+Li-Po combination, than he is to buy a glow engine.

Money talks.

It is "The upcoming demise of the glow engine"... Not limited only to MVVS.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:02 AM
pe reivers

The advent of the china produced glow engines delays this process, but it indeed seems irreversible.
MVVS electric motors are top of the bill, and of industrial quality. With the 123 cells a mighty combo.

I still have some of the small glow engines in stock. When gone, it's over!
Old 01-31-2008, 10:33 AM
AERORICH73

Dar, this is really sad news to read. Guess I am lucky to have purchased over 40 glow engines, and if necessary can mix the fuel needed. The hobby market has been going in the direction of the purchaser being further and further less involved in the construction of models. Only time will tell when all models come with a pilot so the buyer can just take photo's of his/her plane before it is crashed on purpose in order for a new one to be bought. The public needs to have their hands free to use their cell phones 24/7 to talk jibberish, and not be bothered in the construction and operation of a glow or gas engine powered model aircraft. Yes, I know that electric systems need to be learned, but the market is producing assembled packages that are basicly turn-key. Maybe it is time to start looking at gliders, and just use thermals for power.

Rich S.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:24 PM
janch

Hi

You can see here plane with new MVVS 5,6 ccm but - electric

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66583.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	866254  
Old 01-31-2008, 03:42 PM
AERORICH73

That is a very nice looking glider. My indulgence in electric power system is centered around my Christmas Tree HO train set. As a retired aircraft mechanic, I have never seen an electric engine powered commerical aircraft taxi into the passenger terminal, and deplane a load of passengers. When that day comes, I will consider electric powered models. IMO, these electric power systems are just being promoted to increase the number of customers so companies can increase their profits. I definitetly am not buying into such a scheme. IMO, the LiPo batteries, and motors pose a more dangerous situation than the glow engine power system does.

Rich S.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:24 PM
DarZeelon

Rich,

Since people using Li-Po packs have begun to judiciously use only dedicated balanced chargers, the safety issue has nearly gone away completely.

LiFePO4 (A123) has potential, but its energy density is still half that of Li-Po. There is no chance for the plane to have a good power-to-weight ratio.

Not yet.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:48 PM
XJet
Banned

I've tried electric power and hate it!

1hr+ charge times, batteries that cost more than two year's worth of fuel and can be totally destroyed in a crash, a horrible buzzy noise rather than a throaty roar, the lack of smell, the clinical cleanliness -- they all detract from the glorious experience that is (was) flying model aircraft.

Those of us who never fail to admire the way that such a simple device as a 2-cycle glow motor can turn fuel into torque and RPMs will never defect to the electric camp.

Well okay, I still have an electric-powered profile I use for flying in the back yard, but it gets *very* little use. I'd much rather go burn some methanol while making some (good) smoke and noise.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:02 PM
Marcol

I'm with you XJet. I just don't see the skill in flipping on a switch to start the motor.

There isn't an electric motor made that sounds like this baby

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96021.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	866326  
Old 01-31-2008, 05:05 PM
misterpanda

You're right on the money. Couldn't have said it better myself. With all due respect to electric RC pilots, can you picture a beautiful warbird doing a low altitude high speed pass making that buzzing sound? Gas and glow are the way to go.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:36 PM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man am I glad I have secured myself a .49. Now I will hold on to it and never let it go as they are beeing extinct. Very sad indeed
Old 01-31-2008, 05:43 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Some of us may not like electrics much, but let's be mindful that others do when talking about it. Ok?
Old 01-31-2008, 05:48 PM
Motorboy

Charging the battery are not environment friendly. Why?? These battery are charged by atomic nuclear power station, coal power station and gas power station who are spitting a lot of pollution to nature. Lipo battery are dangerous to charge if fault use by user, they can explode, fire. Dumb idea!!!

I bought the last MVVS 2.5 Diesel R/C in Prague in 2006.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:14 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

It's very, very sad. This great hobby was founded, built and advanced by super intelligent, creative people who actually knew how to create things. They were designers, engineers, electricians, craftsmen, artists and inventors all rolled into one.

The knowledge and skills necessary to build and fly an r/c plane forty years ago is nothing short of staggering in comparison to the minuscule abilities needed today.

The real loss is what this hobby once required of (or instilled in) it's participants. Things like patience, intelligence, ingenuity and determination.

David
Old 01-31-2008, 07:42 PM
Jezmo

Barry, I would fully expect that if I went over to the electric forum I would see things along the lines of Glow or Gas sucks. It doesn't hurt my feelings; I know that not everyone is going to like the same things I do. I will try to be as Politically Correct as I can when I express my opinions about electric but I also feel it is important to speak the truth even when others don't like the message as long as it is not aimed directly at any individual. Saying "Electric sucks from my point of view" doesn't keep others from liking it and maybe even thinking I'm a little off my rocker. (If they only knew)

Have a good one man and I will try to keep myself as Politically Correct as an old timer can.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Jezmo

ORIGINAL: rainedave

It's very, very sad. This great hobby was founded, built and advanced by super intelligent, creative people who actually knew how to create things. They were designers, engineers, electricians, craftsmen, artists and inventors all rolled into one.

The knowledge and skills necessary to build and fly an r/c plane forty years ago is nothing short of staggering in comparison to the minuscule abilities needed today.

The real loss is what this hobby once required of (or instilled in) it's participants. Things like patience, intelligence, ingenuity and determination.

David
Amen, Dave.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:43 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Jezmo,

I know how some guys call glow engines slimers. Still, there are many who have both and I was thinking about those readers.

However, since we reading about the demise of MVVS glow engines, some bad feelings are going to come out.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:50 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Demise of the glow engine? Demise of the real model airplane enthusiast as well.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:01 PM
Bigshark

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I started in this hobby building and flying electric sailplanes. I've bought two glow engines to date and there is no way I'd power something like a senior telemaster with electricity. Our little engines are almost indescribably cool. Some electro-nazi will have to pry them out of my cold dead fingers.....

Never got a chance to try MVVS. In their shift to eletric, they've lost any shot at my business......
Old 01-31-2008, 11:49 PM
YUKONFLYR

It is "The upcoming demise of the glow engine"... Not limited only to MVVS.
Ouch!!!

Im not bashing electrics here but I do remember what it was like to be a kid and a teen, I remember the aviation toys that I had and yes I had electric toys, however none of them could compare to the small control line Cox .049 planes that I got at Christmas. The very vivid memories of the Cox .049 at full tilt are very hard to forget. I do not think that the brushless electric motor will replace that anytime soon, .....

I like the noise, the smell of burnt fuel and oil and of course the raw power of the glow engine Heck, I want it to spit fire if it can

And as long as there are people like me around, someone, somewhere will make what we want!!!

My .02$
Old 02-01-2008, 12:07 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glow engines aren't going anywhere. At least not in the USA and Asia. Don't forget, there are more than airplanes. Look at the bazillions of glow powered cars and monster trucks, boats, and helis. And glow engine manufacturers are designing and manufacturing new engines. Many have just been released. It is too bad MVVS has decided to throw in the towel. But they are not the first engine mfg to cease and won't be the last. Thankfully for us piston heads there are many other big players still producing glow engines.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:55 AM
rcdude7
My Feedback: (264)

I will never give up my smoke belching, oil slobering, noisey glow engines. Todays electrics are clean, powerful, and quiet, but just lack any character as far as I'm comcerned.
I know that means nothing to the new guy wanting electric power for his first plane, I just hope the rest of the market will not follow MVVS lead on this.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:30 AM
sowega flyer

Without a distributor here in the US, MVVS sealed their own fate with the glow engine. I don't think for one second that the electric revolution will completely overshadow the demand for glow engines. It will make a place for itself, but there's room for both. I realize this is a world-wide market, but the US is a pretty big piece of the pie. Just ask China, they'll tell you the same thing. So will Japan.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:41 AM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: blw

Some of us may not like electrics much, but let's be mindful that others do when talking about it. Ok?

Right! My wife seems to really like her hair dryer and it has an electric motor. After all there is a place for everything.

jess

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.