Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

glow engine setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 06:09 PM
j3df

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glow engine setup

Hey,

I just got a 60 size sport aircraft and a 91 OSfour stoke engine. Glow engines are new to me because all my aircraft are electric so I am lost.

I hooked up the engine to a servo and set it to where the valvefully closes when the throttle and trim is all the way down on the transmitter. This is what the manual said to do. From there I am lost.

Does the engine shut off when the throttle valve is closed? Also, my Spectrum 6 channel radio system has a throttle cut. What is that for?

If ya'll could explain how to set up the engine with the radio that would help a bunch!!!!

Thanks!!!
Old 01-14-2013, 06:53 PM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: glow engine setup

You can either mechanically adjust the throttle linkage and/or use the travel adjustment in the radio for the throttle servo. What you want is with the throttle trim at neutral and the throttle down the barrel of the carb should be open just a bit. moving the throttle toward full, watch the barrel as it opens and when the transmitter gimbal is full throttle the barrel of the carb should be open all the way. Now slowly move the throttle back from high towards low. As soon as you move it the barrel of the carb should start closing. If the barrel doesn't start to move until you move the stick back to 3/4 throttle then you need to make adjustments in the travel adjustment of the transmitter for the throttle servo and adjust the setting so that the barrel starts to move as right after you start to move the stick.
You can get these close without the engine running but you will usually have to re-adjust them once the engine is running and that would be for the idle and full throttle travel adjustments.
The "engine cut" is a nice feature as once it's set-up you press the button after you taxi back in and it will fully close the barrel of the carb and shut the engine down.  The setting is probably at zero so you need to adjust it to a number that will fully close the barrel of the carb.....usually around "20" will do it. Make sure you do this after you get the throttle set-up for idle and full throttle.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:05 PM
j3df

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: glow engine setup

Cool, I shall do this!!! Thanks!!!!!