Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

please submit your comments and pictures on your favorite .60 and .65 engine.

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

please submit your comments and pictures on your favorite .60 and .65 engine.

Old 03-15-2014, 07:11 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dtytyukying
i am looking for an engine for an airplane to use with a tuned pipe.
What is your budget? What airplane to use it on? The budget is how much are you willing to spend for it. Some guys want the deluxe setup but they want it for next to nothing though. A tuned pipe can be fairly expensive by itself ($160 US is typical and you have to order it for the engine you want to use it on). The kind of airplane is whether it needs to be a rear exhaust or side exhaust engine. Also the engine displacement you are looking for. Some pattern planes like the Hangar 9 Phoenix for example works well with a OS .55 AX engine some large .61 engines may be too big to fit.

Last edited by earlwb; 03-15-2014 at 07:15 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 03-15-2014, 07:27 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by earlwb
What is your budget? What airplane to use it on? The budget is how much are you willing to spend for it. Some guys want the deluxe setup but they want it for next to nothing though. A tuned pipe can be fairly expensive by itself ($160 US is typical and you have to order it for the engine you want to use it on). The kind of airplane is whether it needs to be a rear exhaust or side exhaust engine. Also the engine displacement you are looking for. Some pattern planes like the Hangar 9 Phoenix for example works well with a OS .55 AX engine some large .61 engines may be too big to fit.
That was a troll. That post just didn't get deleted yet. I think it says banned under their username.
Old 03-15-2014, 07:31 AM
earlwb

Oops sorry, I totally missed that.
Thanks for letting me know.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:15 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got it and another on the second page that I overlooked. Please either pm a moderator or make a report on these kinds of posts as they usually try to imbed code in the message. Sometimes, it's advertising and sometimes it's malicious code.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:52 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i am looking for an engine for an airplane to use with a tuned pipe.........(smiles)...
Old 03-15-2014, 10:58 PM
Ernie Misner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Broken Wings;11751626]Dubb Jett over at http://jettengineering.com/ will hook you up.... It's fun when your Draggy Old Stik airframe with tricycle landing gear goes around a plane with retracts.....Made in the USA as well.....

Sport-Jett ".61 Size" Big Block Features

Broken Wings, what type of engine mount is that on your Jett? Fantastic looking stick, engine,.... and wheels!!!.....
Old 03-16-2014, 12:32 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Ernie Misner;11760766]
Originally Posted by Broken Wings
Dubb Jett over at http://jettengineering.com/ will hook you up.... It's fun when your Draggy Old Stik airframe with tricycle landing gear goes around a plane with retracts.....Made in the USA as well.....

Sport-Jett ".61 Size" Big Block Features

Broken Wings, what type of engine mount is that on your Jett? Fantastic looking stick, engine,.... and wheels!!!.....
It's a factory Jett radial mount that Dubb makes The black "spacer" is just a piece of black delrin that I drilled/c-sunk to mount up to the factory ARF holes in the fuselage. It also has a hole drilled vertical for the fults dual strut nose gear.

It works pretty well, you can remove the whole front end from the fuselage with four bolts. I'd tear the landing gear out and swap fuselages during the week and be out at the field ready to go by the next weekend.....

The wheels are Top Flite for the Elder.

Stiks are great model airplanes...

Last edited by Broken Wings; 03-16-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Ernie Misner

I need 60 size engine suggestions for this plane..... http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDUJC&P=ML ... It's a 7 lb. 60 size plane and calls for the 65 AX. It needs a low rpm, high torque engine for 3D. I was going to use my Saito 100 but a 4-stroke mount is just too big for this firewall.Then I was hoping that Dub Jett had a high torque engine that would be right be he doesn't. I talked to him. He has a .76 high torquer but it's built on a 40 size case (!!!), weights only 15.2 oz. with muffler (!!!) and Dub says it's only good for 40 size planes. He has 90's but none that are high torque for 3D. If I do go with the 65AX I will use the new Mac's black high volume profile muffler which will save weight and might wake the engine up like the high volume 55AX mac's muffler does. Thanks for any ideas.

Last edited by Ernie Misner; 03-16-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:29 AM
earlwb

Well the OS .65AX is tuned to turn larger propellers. So it ought to be fine. It now tends to act more similar to a four stroke engine. When you looks at the suggested props they do suggest some fairly big props for it.

The Saito 82 engine is actually smaller than the Saito 100, 115 and 125 engines are. So it probably just fits inside the engine area. Same for the OS .81 engine too, which probably fits a little better since the plane was made for Hangar 9 and Tower Hobbies.

Last edited by earlwb; 03-17-2014 at 07:31 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 03-24-2014, 06:55 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernie Misner
IThen I was hoping that Dub Jett had a high torque engine that would be right be he doesn't. I talked to him. He has a .76 high torquer but it's built on a 40 size case (!!!), weights only 15.2 oz. with muffler (!!!) and Dub says it's only good for 40 size planes. He has 90's but none that are high torque for 3D. If I do go with the 65AX I will use the new Mac's black high volume profile muffler which will save weight and might wake the engine up like the high volume 55AX mac's muffler does. Thanks for any ideas.

??

Look under his BSE engines:

Our newest "60" size big block is our BSE-1.20L 3D engine
Have a 60 size warbird that needs more prop and more power ? This is the engine for you!
Similar in size and weight to many .60 size engines (OS .61 and 91FX bolt pattern)
yet with the power output exceeding larger and heavier 1.20 engines on the market today.
This engine is a bit different... As with our .40L, 76L and 1.00L, the 1.20L
is designed for applications requiring lower rpm while turning larger props,
making it ideal for 3D Aerobatics, Scale, Precision Aerobatics and anywhere
you demand the best possible reliability and power to weight ratio.

Available with your choice of either our Turbo-Jett in-cowl muffler or
Jett-Stream muffler to best suit your application.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:58 PM
Ernie Misner

Originally Posted by MJD
??

Look under his BSE engines:

Our newest "60" size big block is our BSE-1.20L 3D engine
Have a 60 size warbird that needs more prop and more power ? This is the engine for you!
Similar in size and weight to many .60 size engines (OS .61 and 91FX bolt pattern)
yet with the power output exceeding larger and heavier 1.20 engines on the market today.
This engine is a bit different... As with our .40L, 76L and 1.00L, the 1.20L
is designed for applications requiring lower rpm while turning larger props,
making it ideal for 3D Aerobatics, Scale, Precision Aerobatics and anywhere
you demand the best possible reliability and power to weight ratio.

Available with your choice of either our Turbo-Jett in-cowl muffler or
Jett-Stream muffler to best suit your application.
Hi MJD, thanks for the reply! I had to go back to the Jett web page and also read what Dub wrote to me in an email. The 1.20L is indeed a torque engine for 3D but it is too big and heavy for a .60 size plane (arguably). It's 27.8 oz and would probably be perfect for a 90. size plane or so. The new UCanDo is built light and I'm pushing it putting a Saito 100 on it. (21 oz) So what Dub was saying to me is that if he made a .90 in a torquer engine that would have been ideal but he has no plans for that at this time. Those Jett engines are sure nice to look at. I can see me having the .76L on a 40 size 3D plane real easy...... Here is what Dub Jett wrote to me when I asked him about an engine for this 7 lb. 3D plane: (now I am wondering if the 1.20L might have worked after all..... size size mount as a .91FX. Someone put a 15cc Evo gasser on this plane and it weighs total of 31 oz!)

>>>
The bottom line is I don’t really make an engine suitable for this. The only “full size” 10cc engine I make is the Jett .90 and no torque version of that. The other engine listed .60L is not really meant to compete with the larger engines. It was meant to be the most power you can cram into a .40 size case.

The 90 is not a torque engine and is used mainly for higher speed runs in .61 size airplanes. The OS .65 you have, or all the way up to their .91 all fit the same mounts and have more torque in that rpm range than mine. Other than that, throttle response is more about getting the carb set right. You have to set the mid range, rather than the idle. I have attached my instructions for that, if you care to look at them.

Make sure you mount the tank as close to the engine as possible and I don’t recommend pumps.

Last edited by Ernie Misner; 03-24-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:23 PM
Ernie Misner

Originally Posted by earlwb
Well the OS .65AX is tuned to turn larger propellers. So it ought to be fine. It now tends to act more similar to a four stroke engine. When you looks at the suggested props they do suggest some fairly big props for it.

The Saito 82 engine is actually smaller than the Saito 100, 115 and 125 engines are. So it probably just fits inside the engine area. Same for the OS .81 engine too, which probably fits a little better since the plane was made for Hangar 9 and Tower Hobbies.
Hi Earl, all good thinking, thanks. BTW I got a Dave Brown round back engine mount and it will fit on the firewall with my Saito 100, so I'm going with the Saito at 21 oz. which is a hair lighter than the 65AX. I do have a Saito 82 also but that's just not enough poop for a 7 lb. 3D plane. Yes, the OS 65 is the recommended engine for this plane, and it is a torque type 2-stroke but I don't think it will ever have the instant torque-grunt that a Saito can deliver for 3D. A 2-stroke gas engine sure could though but I wish we could get a 10 or 15cc gasser that weighed 21 oz. instead of 31 oz. Maybe in the not too distant future?
Old 03-25-2014, 07:51 AM
earlwb

Your Saito 100 is a good choice. Well a Saito FG-11 might work but the Saito FG-21 would be better still. The FG-21 engine itself weighs 24 ounces. A OS 65AX with the muffler isn't that far off in comparing weights either.

Last edited by earlwb; 03-25-2014 at 07:53 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 03-25-2014, 09:38 AM
Quikturn
My Feedback: (12)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How about a 75AX? Same footprint as a 65AX with more power.