Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: asp engines

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

asp engines

any comments or opinions on the asp airplane engines?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: asp engines

They seem okay. I've got a 160 twin and have not had any problems. It's supposed to be an OS clone.
    Tejas Mic
    I want to go peacefully in my sleep like Grand Pa...... Not screaming like the passengers in his plane

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hit and miss quality control, if you get a good one its a good deal. Also know as Magnum brand engines.
    Club Saito # 677-Team Boca Bearings-Star Collectibles Muscatine-Glowhead Brotherhood #19

I have 12s thru 52s no issue ASP/Mag 2 or 4 strk all the 2 strk and one 52 4 strk converted to diesel excellent carbs no issues, even with the increased compression with the diesel heads no failures or issues at all martin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have a new ASP .61 two stroke with maybe a gallon or two of fuel through it, no problems so far, runs just like every other Magnum two stroke I've got. Very dependable. Just like the other Magnums I've got, when I first set it up and broke in, I did have a little trouble getting the thing to stop. The barrel has to be closed tighter than most engines to shut it off.
    Jerry
    AMA -922698 Nomal people scare me, but not as much as I scare them...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good running engines overall if using 5-10% nitro, castor/synthetic blend fuel. I have run .46 through 1.08 this way with no problems. Some require more break in time than others but start easily and tune well.

These engines will run hot if using pure synthetic oil fuels.

Dick Tristao
    ModelGrafix
    Visalia, Ca.
    559 625-3590 Home/Office
    559 280-6559 Cellular

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had a Magnum 70 four stroke with bad valve springs from the factory, sent it in to Hobby People for warranty and it ran perfect when I got it back.
    ULTRA SPORT BROTHERHOOD #120
    GOLDBERG TIGER CLUB #10
    CLUB SAITO #590

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It used to be that the engine itself was pretty much OK, but they had trouble making decent carburetors though. usually a person had to replace the carb to get the engine to run OK. But for the last few years they seem to be making better carbs though. So the engines tend to work OK. But usually parts are hard to get, so if you wear something out or break something, you'll have to buy a new engine instead of repairing it. That is one main reason the engines are so much more inexpensive though. But the engines are made for a low price point, so quality can be off so they can still be hit and miss on getting a good one. Being made for a low price point means a low profit margin, so the manufacturer had to do something to cut costs, such as cheaper metal alloys, cheaper bearings, and so on.

I have played with some of the engines and they are working out Ok for me. I just can't say for how long they'll last though.

Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sanye engines have come along way in 20 years.

Modern Sanye carburettors work very well and are built to tight tolerances.

I opened an old ASP .46 to replace a worn piston and liner. I acquired it second hand. It had never been disassembled. It was made in 1990. It had Japanese NSK bearings in it.

The carburettor on it was not the best. This is where the early engines are a lottery. I replaced it with a carburettor from a GMS .32. It now throttles perfectly on nil nitro fuel.

I have an ASP .40 of the same era. It's original carburettor performs as well as any I have handled. It will idle at 2,200 RPM all day on nil nitro fuel and transition cleanly.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The latest .12 and .15 engines are very nice engines too, with good carbs. But the quality control is not the best, or they simply let things through that should never have gone through...

I have a .15 engine that had a leak in the crank case (straight from the box), it was a little tricky to find as it was leaking between the transfer ports and the exhaust port. The liner was not tight enough in the case, but a thin layer of JB weld fixed it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I got a ASP 52 A II  last year.

I've put a few litres through it, and she's been a solid powerfull performer.   I had a leak from the mixture needle o'ring not seating properly, but a bit of fuel tubing fixed that.  for the price......  it's a great performer.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

G'day

I have had quite a few ASPs and Magnums (essentially the same in recent times). I still have a couple of four strokes.

I have only owned a couple of two strokes but I have seen quite a few at my club. On this basis, I would probably not recommend an ASP two stroke to a beginner. They can be good for experienced flyers but not so good for the less experienced.

The four strokes have been better though the spread of quality is far wider than the Japanese brands. I had two 30 four strokes intended for a twin but they ran so differently I gave up on them and sold them to a friend. He also tried them in a twin but they were inconsistent and worse, they liked to dead stick.

I still have an ASP 61 four stroke. It came to me in a plane. Its head leaked. I tried to fix it but ended up with a new replacement head and it is now fine. I also bought a 70 four stroke which also had head problems and again, a new head fixed it although the new head also leaked at first until I cleaned the valves.

My most recent was a 91 four stroke which I bought but did not use. A friend bought it from me and it has been fine since we ran it in and tuned it. Its "out of the box" settings were way too lean especially the Low Speed Needle. It was so lean it initially would not start.

So .... They are fine if you know what you are doing and are prepared to fix little problems. They can be hard to tune (especially the two strokes) and so I would not recommend them to a beginner going it on his own. If he has help, it may be a different story.

Mike in Oz
    \"I just had no control. Must be the radio.\" Club Saito #597 Kadet Brotherhood #66

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i got 2 61 size start easy run very good try one you might like it

i believe you can get asp engines from hobbyking. very reasonable prices and not a bad engine for the price...........RON

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

try to buy thins from the usa if you can

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The 75 ASP -ABC with an OS 1.08 carb ( 7 D )was my favorite engine for my 60 size airframes for about 10 years , turns a 13/6 APC
    The 75 AX is now my favorite powerhouse 75 , turning a 14 /6 APC
    You can run a little more oil in your fuel if you desire with an ASP to protect the engine a bit more
    I was flying 20 plus years ago when the ASP line of engines came out
    They do not produce as much power as some other engines of the same size displacement , but they will perform well if handled by experienced hands
    ENJOY TONY
    \" The power and performance glo fuel , 15 % Morgan Omega \"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RIGHT ON