Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Trouble tuning Magnum FS 91

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Roo Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble tuning Magnum FS 91

Have a used Magnum 91 4 stroke. New carb, New glow plug. Set carb at factory settings using 10% nitro fuel. Using electric stafter the engine pops like a magine gun, then it may or may not start. When it starts it runs fine at mid range an wot but won't idle. the engine will go into reverse often when trying to get it to idle. the transition from low RPM to wot is good.

Any help will be appreciated.

Gary
Old 10-10-2013, 11:40 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would check the cam timing to make sure that the center of the valve overlap point is around 5 degrees before top dead center and extends through top dead center.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Roo Man

Originally Posted by w8ye
I would check the cam timing to make sure that the center of the valve overlap point is around 5 degrees before top dead center and extends through top dead center.
Please explain valve overlap

Thanks Gary
Old 10-11-2013, 08:32 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take the rocker arm covers off and look at the the rocker arms as you turn the prop. Valve overlap is that point where both intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time. Jim is saying this should be about 5 degrees before top dead center. I take out the glow plug and put in a soft piece of wood so I can see top dead center when the wood reaches the top.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Roo Man

Originally Posted by blw
Take the rocker arm covers off and look at the the rocker arms as you turn the prop. Valve overlap is that point where both intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time. Jim is saying this should be about 5 degrees before top dead center. I take out the glow plug and put in a soft piece of wood so I can see top dead center when the wood reaches the top.
Thanks
Old 10-12-2013, 01:02 PM
Roo Man

I started at the beginning, first checking to see that the cam was properly aligned with the crank and it was, then re-set valve clearance, [ Dumb me on last valve set, used .04 thousandths instead of .04MM and also did not set the valves on the compression stroke] but got that all straightened out. I checked the overlap at 5 degrees BTDC and only one valve was open, exhaust I think, can't remember [old age will do that to you].

At this point I started it and after some tuning it runs pretty well. Will need some fine tuning but should be flyable come Monday.

Thanks to all for your help.

Gary