Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

bad engines

Old 01-19-2013, 10:15 AM
cubkadet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad engines

any brand of airplane engines i should stay away from?
Old 01-19-2013, 12:33 PM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: bad engines

YS engines if you are a beginner. They are not bad engines, but rather a little exotic and complex to begin with. other than that most engines out there work by the same principles. I have lots of cheap chinese engines working just as good and reliable as my OS, YS and European engines.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:54 PM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fox - I know there is some who love them, but they can be bear!
Old 01-19-2013, 02:33 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: chuckaluck

any brand of airplane engines i should stay away from?
Anything made by MVVS......
Old 01-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Mr Cox

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings
The electric motors yes, but they used to make som very nice engines, so grab them while they are still around.
Stay away from OS though, they just peel the nickel of the cylinder walls...
Old 01-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

I disagree about MVVS, I have quite a few and the only problem was the old style carbs as they were hard to tune on the 1/2 pipe. The later carb took care of that, they run about as well as a Rossi and are lighter. You must use 0-5 per cent fuel or they don't run well!
High quality and last for a long time if taken care of.
Sadly they (glow fuel) are no longer made. MVVS now makes gassers....only.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:13 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OS doesnt peel liners anymore. Those engines that did were the older SX and FX engines, They are now two different models past them.
Fox engines are great also.

All engine brands have had problems. some people try one brand of engine, get dud and then bad mouth them forever lol. Each brand has their faults. OS and Thunder tiger are near the top with the sport engine price range. next down for me are the magnums and ASP's. These four brands all run well.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:21 PM
cubkadet

i also like os. they are my favorite engine.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:25 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fox engines are great engines, but many people have no patience and do not want to break in the engines first. Fox engines don't wear out fast like some engines do.  But people seem to like that instant gratification that those pre-worn in more loose engines give them. They just tend to replace their engines a lot as they wear out on them.

Considering how some people just seem to be unlucky with glow engines, I don't think there is one that'll work with those people.

But usually once a person gets one brand of engine to work OK for them, they tend to stick with it, as they have good luck with it then.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:17 PM
TFF

New or used? I would say if you dont see the brand sold new today, stay away unless you just like engines. Most engines were carb problems more than the base engines. I would stay away from MDS, and the early off brands. Most now have copied well enough for most to run OK. Beginners tend to have a hard time with SuperTiger carbs and YS tuning.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:26 PM
jeffie8696

Ueda
Old 01-19-2013, 07:31 PM
countilaw

ORIGINAL: Mr Cox

ORIGINAL: Broken Wings
The electric motors yes, but they used to make som very nice engines, so grab them while they are still around.
Stay away from OS though, they just peel the nickel of the cylinder walls...

I have found that OS engines are very good and very reliable engines. I have several that were purchased over 30 years ago that are still running strong. I also have some new engines that run and are as strong as the older ones.

Another engine that is still around and maybe not a super strong engine but a very reliable one is K & B 61.

Frank

Old 01-19-2013, 09:09 PM
MTK

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

Ueda
Didn't know anyone else ever seen of these. Never did run mine....

As far as staying away from one brand or another, I'd say, anymore, they all pretty much run. You have to have the basics of set-up down to make any of them run. You may want to phrase your question a bit differently, such as, best field manners, simplest set-up, best power-transition- idle, reliability, lowest overall cost to own-operate, etc. They all have strengths and weaknesses
Old 01-19-2013, 10:45 PM
Roary m
My Feedback: (67)

What made OS so popular was the ease of tuning their engines as opposed to some of the European stuff; OPS, Rossi and the others are great engines but really not a good choice for beginners. You'll notice that YS never made an FP or an LA bushed engine, just high performance stuff which in terms of temperament can be a bit sensitive on the needle valve, either high or low end tuning.
Old 01-20-2013, 05:26 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

just go to your local flying field and see what they are flying and go from there
Old 01-20-2013, 06:34 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

just go to your local flying field and see what they are flying and go from there
+1
Old 01-20-2013, 07:43 AM
Michel

Hi

Yep ,....................... No problem .

YDA , and JC , both pure junk , and some guy called PISTON ( Henry )

Go by youre guys at the club ,..................................... don,t think you know everything

Michel
Old 01-20-2013, 08:21 AM
tony0707

Breaking in and handling glo engines have a very certain learning curve , that you are required to learn and know before you can run one long term
Do you research
In theory a glo engine should NEVER be run lean, especialy at break in time
Running lean ,with reduced oil in the fuel , will overheat and score the piston and linner and distort the aluminum cases, damaging the engine and prevent it from running well in the future
HEAT IS THE ENEMY
This I do believe is the issue with many bad running glo motors
The next is the inability of many glo engine companies to build a good carb ( OS carbs are the best ) that does not leak air into the engine
The air leak will cause high heat issues and cooks a glo engine ( need to identify this as soon as is possible )
OS in my opinion make some of the very best glo engine carbs, and many cheep engines performance can be improved if you can install an OS carb , for that reason
Do start with an OS engine until you learn what a glo engine requires to run long and short term, it does take some hands on time to do this
You need experience ( time handling glo ) before you want to play with cheeper engine quality as they will sometimes require more skill to operate sucsessfully, and are more sensative to adjustments
Plan on possibly damaging a engine until you know what they REQUIRE !
A very good glo fuel is a must
I love MORGAN OMEGA -PINK 15 % and run it in all my glo engines with with or without rings, in the manufactures recommended RPM range (which is bases on prop size )
My engines show no signs of wear when I disassemble them for inspectionreal good quailty stuff
Once you know how to set up the carb correctly and the other things to be looking for , mostly lean running and air leaks , you engines should perform very well for many many years
I have found that most times when flying -YOU WILL GET A WARNING as to what is going to happen next , you learn to identify the warning ( a noise etc ) and often react very quickly to get the plane down and save the aircraft
A dead stik is a good example that requires quick thinking to land safely
EXAMPLE : I will completely diassemble an ASP engine ( or any other cheeper engine ) before I run it or break it in to inspect the machining inside the cases
I have found bad machining in some very early engines and even metal particales inside the engine
Doing this allows me to - RETURN - the engine from were it came , before i run it and do not have that option any longer
Flying two cycle glo more than most for 23 years and loving ever minute I do
ENJOY TONY
Old 01-20-2013, 09:17 AM
83scamp

ORIGINAL: earlwb

Fox engines are great engines, but many people have no patience and do not want to break in the engines first. Fox engines don't wear out fast like some engines do. But people seem to like that instant gratification that those pre-worn in more loose engines give them. They just tend to replace their engines a lot as they wear out on them.

Considering how some people just seem to be unlucky with glow engines, I don't think there is one that'll work with those people.

But usually once a person gets one brand of engine to work OK for them, they tend to stick with it, as they have good luck with it then.

+1!!

I've run and own most brands of motors. Over the years, I've flown many types. They all have been good to me. My Fox & K&Bengines are some of my favorites. I also have O.S., Super Tigre, MVVS, and Webra engines. Shoot, I even have a couple of old Royal .40's withinsane hours onthem, and they just keep running.Each has it's own peculiarities, but they all run good.

I've had two bad engines that I can remember: an early '80's Thunder Tiger .20 that just wouldn't develop any power, and a early ASP 1.08 that was the same way. I unloaded both quickly. Other than that, I've always had good luck with motors.

To the OP: The key is to find someone knowledgeable in your club to learn from. Please, please, please don't go the the local "tweaker" or racer. They will sit there and tweak that motor for every ounce of power it can develop, and in the process burn it up. My advice is to watch the guys at your club a few weeks, and see who doesn't have engine trouble, and find out what he does. Finally, stay away from full synthetic oil fuels. They are great for racers, but for sport flying, you just can't beat Castor oil. Blends are fine, just don't fall victim to the synthetic myth....
Old 01-20-2013, 09:48 AM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

There's a saying at our field: "Cox and Fox, leave 'em in the box." Good advice.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:38 AM
toolmaker7341

must be a beginner in a hurry.Fox need to be broken in. I have several Fox's all run strong and relieble.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:01 PM
chris923
My Feedback: (53)

OS, is the best beginner engine, They fly right out of the box! Use Omega 10%.

Chris923
Old 01-20-2013, 12:24 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please, please, please don't go the the local "tweaker" or racer.
Finally, stay away from full synthetic oil fuels. They are great for racers,
By these statements you obviously do not know any real racers.[:@]

As far as brands go, I like Thunder Tiger's .40 and .46 reall well, as well as OS .25FX.

I HATE
Meccoa! Everything from purchasing the motors to them not running worth a crud. I keep them just to throw against the wall when I get angry.
Bring on the Mods since I have been warned about bashing them so many times over the years. Thankfully I am finally in the context of the thread.
Don't buy one, if you feel compelled, just mail me the money, I'll spend it on liquor. Both of us can have a satisfied smile on our face knowing it made me happy.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Chuck, this begs to get more bad advice than there are bad engines. Many bad engines, (most) are more a reflection on theirs owners than the engines themselves.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:09 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

Ueda

I operated and flew my friend's Ueda .55 throughout his pilot training phase without a single, solitary problem. That was a long time ago.

Ed Cregger

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.