Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Wrist pin cap question

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 03:26 AM
calypsocowboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrist pin cap question

am putting a new piston and sleeve in my engine, and I was going to use the old wrist pin. But the wrist pin has some kind of teflon caps on the end and one side looks wore off. I also noticed that this wrist pin does not have clips to hold it in. Does this wrist pin just float from end to end rubbing on those caps with no clips? and how do I know if I need a new one?

Old 03-13-2013, 04:10 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Wrist pin cap question

The teflon tiped wrist pins do not have clips. The teflon is there to prevent the wrist pin from wearing a groove in the sleeve. On the rare automobile with them you might be able to replace the cap, but on model engines if the teflon tip is worn off you may have to replace the entire wrist pin, unless you can make one from some teflon rod. If one is thinner than the other then I would reqplace the tip or wrist pin.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:26 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It would be fairly hard to machine one up, although not impossible for sure.  I have read on these forums somewhere that someone made his from weedwacker/fishing line and melted the end in a mushroom shape with a soldering iron or something.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

This topic was posted in the car engines forum too........ Best bet is to replace the wristpin and you might as well replace the conrod at the same time.