Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

A new old Royal 40

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2003, 09:51 PM
jac50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A new old Royal 40

Hi, I'm new to the forum, but have been reading for awhile. Anyway, I came across an old Royal 40 engine (Don't know how old), but it appears to be in new like conditon. In fact, it still may need run-in.
My problem is I'm trying to adjust the low idle screw. It seems to load up and quit running at idle or low rpm, can't seem to get a smooth throttle either. It runs strong, like my OS 40 FX. The screw was 6 turns out when I got the engine. Does anyone have suggestions?
Old 09-17-2003, 10:28 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: A new old Royal 40

Good engine. I have two of them. Probably tate 80s. Sounds like it's running rich. Bring it down to idle after it warms up. Pinch the fuel line. It will probably speed up slowly and quit. Keep leaning it in till just revs up just a bit before it tries to quit. If you go in to far it will hesitate when you open the throttle quick. back it out just till it doesn't hesitate. Now you've got it. Check all the carb screws for tightness. When they were new they didn't tighten them properly, especially the idle stop screw. Hope this helps
Old 10-17-2003, 08:58 PM
jac50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK Flypaper2,
Thanks for the tip! That put me on the right trail, after that and a little run-in time the Royal is a sweet runnin engine!! Very dependable too!
Old 10-25-2003, 01:34 AM
rcuser004
My Feedback: (287)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

To you Royal .40 owners, I have a very little used Royal .40 that crashed muffler first. It broke the muffler and cracked the crankcase at the rear muffler attachment screw thread. The ABC piston/cylinder, crankshaft, rod, wristpin, bearings, carb, prop drive plate, rear cover and all fasteners (including prop retaining bolt & nut)are all in near new condition.

If either of you want these as spare parts, I will ship everything to you for $ 27.00
within the Cont. USA.

Regards,