Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Gotta Love Them OS Guys

Old 04-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Windwalker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gotta Love Them OS Guys

I don't understand why when someone asks any questions about an engine there's always a slew of responses shoving an OS down their throat. Don't get me wrong, I like OS engines but not everyone wants to spend $200-$300 on a 60 size sport engine. Fact is, lots of times the people asking the Q's see what OS cost and decide to look elsewhere.
So how about just answering the actual question they ask if you have any useful information that might help them?
Again, I've got lots of OS engines and I think they're great, but the BEST engine choice is the one that does everything you want within your budget

Rant Off
Old 04-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Gotta Love Them OS Guys

ORIGINAL: Windwalker

I don't understand why when someone asks any questions about an engine there's always a slew of responses shoving an OS down their throat. Don't get me wrong, I like OS engines but not everyone wants to spend $200-$300 on a 60 size sport engine. Fact is, lots of times the people asking the Q's see what OS cost and decide to look elsewhere.
So how about just answering the actual question they ask if you have any useful information that might help them?
Again, I've got lots of OS engines and I think they're great, but the BEST engine choice is the one that does everything you want within your budget

Rant Off
The older OS engine's are great. But there are better choices for most sizes today.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:20 PM
skyraider71

O.S shot themselves in the foot when they dropped the .25 FX then reissued it at twice the price. Meanwhile .25
engine buyers, epecially combat flyers switched to Magnum. O.S. had been slow in reacting to the trend toward
larger gas burning models. Gas engines are shrinking rapidly, Evolution has the .60 gasser, will O.S. introduce a
10cc gasser? They need to get on the Stick! O.S. is still a quality Japanese made product which explains the higher
prices.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:02 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

ORIGINAL: skyraider71

O.S shot themselves in the foot when they dropped the .25 FX then reissued it at twice the price. Meanwhile .25
engine buyers, epecially combat flyers switched to Magnum. O.S. had been slow in reacting to the trend toward
larger gas burning models. Gas engines are shrinking rapidly, Evolution has the .60 gasser, will O.S. introduce a
10cc gasser? They need to get on the Stick! O.S. is still a quality Japanese made product which explains the higher
prices.
Some of their engines are now made in China. The 46AX II and I believe the 55AX as well, unsure of any others. There was a thread about it awhile back...
Old 04-02-2013, 03:38 PM
skyraider71

ORIGINAL: 1QwkSport2.5r

ORIGINAL: skyraider71

prices.
Some of their engines are now made in China. The 46AX II and I believe the 55AX as well, unsure of any others. There was a thread about it awhile back...
I'll check my AX .55.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:57 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If OS went "off shore to China" why not buy an Magnum or ASP excellent quality and a lot less money have ASPs 2 and 4 stroke, never any issues and very good carbs too
some converted to diesel and they hold up fine martin
Old 04-02-2013, 04:07 PM
WoodCutter
My Feedback: (8)

A couple of comments...
I realize that the O.P. was probably talking about ball bearing engines but the last time I checked, the OS La .65 was way under 200 dollars. In my book (and I bet quite a few others) a bushing engine is just fine for "sport" use.

Now the way I figure it, there are many instances in life when we make a choice to pay a little more for a "good" product that's made in a particular country even though something as good or maybe even a little better can be bought that's made somewhere else. It's a good thing too since any of the older industrialized nations would have little manufacturing jobs left after 3rd world countries with starvation wages out-competed them in the global market. Please don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the Chinese people or any other countries people but we have little choice when it comes to buying electronics, clothing or many other products. The last thing in the world I would want is an engine made by an economic rival that doesn't compete fairly on a level field when there are good alternatives ie; Fox, OS, Mecoa/K&B and others are to be able to be bought new.

Lastly, while I wouldn't argue that OS's are THE best engines to be had, my personal experience with them has always been that they rarely produce a "lemon" with defects from the factory. That is with 35 years of experience with them.

I would agree though with the O.P. that it is still best to give an honest opinion when someone asks about an engine choice and let the person asking decide for themselves.

I could just be though that a lot of people out there have had the same luck with OS's that I have.
By the way, I too would like to know if OS has started outsourcing to China/Taiwan. If so it would be disapointing to me. sigh...
Old 04-02-2013, 04:43 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: AMB

If OS went ''off shore to China'' why not buy an Magnum or ASP excellent quality and a lot less money have ASPs 2 and 4 stroke, never any issues and very good carbs too
+1 to include the Evolution 2 strokes
Old 04-02-2013, 06:07 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

While I don't use O.S. exclusively, I can say that I have had very dependable results and performance from them, but all of my O.S. engines are a couple years old and are all from Japan. I currently own about 20 different engines including Italian made Super Tigres, Thunder Tigers, Saito, Royal, K&B, Magnum, Asp, GMS, and Aviastar. I've flown some planes with YS, Rossi, and Fox engines, but I don't own any yet.

Of the engines I have personally owned, for performance and dependability, I put the GMS and the Aviastar at the bottom of the list. For dependability and ease of tuning, I put Magnum and O.S. at the top. For performance and power, since I don't own a YS or Rossi, I put Super Tigre and Thunder Tiger at the top.

For the money, my Magnum and Asp engines are the best value. I have a Magnum .46xls on a trainer that I bought new 4 yrs ago and I know I have put at least 15 gallons of fuel thru it teaching people to fly, it has never quit in flight. I also have a Magnum .91 Fs on my 1/4 scale Cub that was put thru hell before I got it and I've put at least a gallon a month thru it since I bought it 3 yrs ago, still going strong and starts on the first flip. If it dies tomorrow, I'm putting another Magnum on it. Haven't had my Asp engines long enough to give a verdict, but so far they're just as good as my Magnums, maybe slightly less power than an equally sized O.S. Just my annecdotal experience for what it's worth.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Sport_Pilot

They need to get on the Stick! O.S. is still a quality Japanese made product which explains the higher prices.
Only their larger engines. The smaller engines have bad bearings.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:07 PM
AMB

my little magnum 30 4 strk used and abused for years bearings fine ditto on my ASP12 diesel conversion both twin BB martin
Old 04-03-2013, 04:57 AM
Sport_Pilot

If OS went "off shore to China" why not buy an Magnum or ASP excellent quality and a lot less money have ASPs 2 and 4 stroke, never any issues and very good carbs too

OS is better quality than Magnum or ASP, but not worth the price.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:00 AM
Sport_Pilot

my little magnum 30 4 strk used and abused for years bearings fine ditto on my ASP12 diesel conversion both twin BB martin

My Magnum 30 has valves that like to stick open when you hand prop it. The carb barrel broke very easily when adjusting the needle position, and I could not buy just the barrel. Not a brand I will be buying again, Imay buy and OS in the future, but not Magnum or ASP.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:21 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

OS is easier to spell than most others..

Old 04-03-2013, 06:13 AM
mattnew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Like the original poster said.... O.S. engines are good, they aren't the best, I'd probably opt for a competitors ball bearing engine over there lower cost bushing engines....

But.... when I go to buy an engine, one of the things I look for in the forums is the number of people that have posted threads about the particular engine that I'm interested in that have subjects along the lines of ...
"HELP, engine problems" or "Can anybody get ahold of xxxxx company?"

You have to use your own filter to judge who is having real issues and who just wants to complain and rant.. but by and large you get a view of who is flying and who is fixing and tinkering on the bench with poor running engines. Outside of the bushing engines, you don't see a whole lot of complaints about O.S. engines besides the cost. While they are a higher cost, its a somewhat artificial complaint due to them being distributed through tower.

example, DLE-20 is $250 or so through most vendors, Tower sells the O.S.GT22 for $409, so at first glance the O.S. is "way overpriced". But then you sign up for Tower's "club" and you find that the engine is regularly sold to members between $350 and $379 throughout the year depending on the sale, and every month you get a $50 off coupon for anything over $300 bucks... and all of a sudden the GT22 is now $309. $250 and $309 aren't so far apart that one could see springing for the non-chinese made engine... even though yes it still costs more.

as for parts.... I've augered in planes from over 100 feet up... battery disconnected... started the motor on the test stand the next day. Yes pistons and cranks are expensive... but unless you are hitting pavement which i never have, I don't know how you damage them. I think by and large most crashes don't require new parts to have a running engine.

I don't know.... I like O.S. engines, I like their quality... the right engine for anyone is the one that gets them in the air and makes them happy.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:16 AM
Sport_Pilot

Outside of the bushing engines, you don't see a whole lot of complaints about O.S. engines besides the cost.
Seems to me that if the bearings are bad it is more likely to be and OS than any other. Saito runs a close second.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:01 AM
AllTheGoodNamesAreTaken
My Feedback: (180)

Hugh,
Where's the data to support that claim?

I've been very impressed with the new AX line. The remote needles OS uses/used were a bit dodgy.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:06 AM
avidflyguy
My Feedback: (48)

i will never pay full price for os engines, they are way overpriced in my opinion, i have just as good luck with other brand engines, i can buy 3 magnum .46 engines for the cost of a new os 55ax. i have several 55 ax that i have bought from rc universe and fleabay that i got for 100-120.00 each NIB can't see paying 160-170.00 for them
Old 04-03-2013, 07:20 AM
badarkstar
My Feedback: (28)

OS is better quality than Magnum or ASP, but not worth the price.
One of the big things i consider is resale value. It has been my observation that if you go buy a used motor, in general, the O.S. motors hold more of their value (likely because they are better quality) So if you tracked the actual cost of owning and using, and then the value you get back out of it when you go sell it later, it is likely that the O.S. costs less overall to own and operate in the long run.
Bill
Old 04-03-2013, 07:25 AM
mattnew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

how..... not trying to start an argument.... but wheni look online at these engines costs....

O.S 55AX is $159 - Towers $30 discount for orders over 150 = $129 bucks, + free shipping.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...ngine-rnv.html
Magnum .46 is $79.99 + shipping if there is any.. I have never ordered from Hobby People so I don't know on the shipping part.
The Magnum .52 is $89

I have no issues with Magnum, and no issues with you flying them, my point is simply the costs aren't as different as people make them out to be.

ORIGINAL: avidflyguy

i will never pay full price for os engines, they are way overpriced in my opinion, i have just as good luck with other brand engines, i can buy 3 magnum .46 engines for the cost of a new os 55ax. i have several 55 ax that i have bought from rc universe and fleabay that i got for 100-120.00 each NIB can't see paying 160-170.00 for them
Old 04-03-2013, 07:27 AM
AMB

WE left one brand out FOX USA, you can trade in a klunker and get 30 50% off depending on their offers at the time which makes for a very good price for excellent engines

martin
Old 04-03-2013, 07:56 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

All motors have their shortcomings.  I get used OS's cheap and like them.  I think they are overpriced.  Foxes can be aquired for half price at the factory but are marked up accordingly for MSRP. I love all brands (well the MDS/Ucktam, and TT make me mad sometimes). AP,  ASP, SC and Magnum are the same manufacturer, Sanye.  and are fine motors now too. 
Old 04-03-2013, 08:18 AM
hllywdb

Just to jump in from a different perspective here. There are a number of high quality engines out there that have stood the test of time. I put price much farther down the list when buying an engine. Not because I'm wealthy, far from it. However, when I add up the cost in time, effort , and dollars of the radio, field equipment, plane, etc.. AND consider that the motor is going to last through maybe 10 planes, paying a little more up front pays off big time down the road when I factor in the cost of airplanes lost to engine failure or a trip to the field spent not flying because of motor problems. The engine is the LAST thing I want to wory about when flying.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:35 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, I would have to agree with that, until you bend a needle valve on a hard landing and it costs almost the same to replace it as a new (cheaper) motor. I have always been happier with the more expensive motors now that I think about it. Rossi, Fora, Picco have all been good to me. OS is pretty much the same price as those but a garden variety motor. (Smaller carb with 2 screws holding it in etc. instead of a pinch bolt etc.) Good runners for sure, right out of the box, like most people like.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 AM
Sport_Pilot

This is mostly based on comments from others, as well as when I was at the flying field most weeks. And mostly on the smaller cheaper OS ball bearing engines. Seems to get better when over a .60 size. Probably not any engines you would normally use, except the 60. Seems to be mostly 46 and smaller. Though that might be because of the popularity of the smaller motors. When I was flying on a regular basis I noted that about half were OS and almost all of the bad bearings were OS, a few Saito's, and one or two TT's, one of the latter mine.

I have only had two bad bearings myself, one TT and one OS. The oldest motor with good ball bearings are a couple of Fox engines. Probably the best engines I have, but my OS was about worn out when the Fox was broken in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.