Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Original OS 60 needle settings

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 09:05 PM
Carl1211

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Original OS 60 needle settings

I have an os 60 max that sat for 20 plus years. It fires up and runs great on a test stand. But when holding it vertically at full throttle it leans out and dies. I've richness up both high speed needle and mixture to the point it pukes fuel everywhere and it still leans out when vertical. Can't find original mixture setting to start all over. Any ideas?

thanks
Carl
Old 09-20-2019, 01:24 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
There are no such thing as "original needle setting"! If your engine is starving (runs lean) when holding it vertical up, something is not working properly.
Either is the engine worn out (bad piston to cylinder fitting), worn out ball bearings making too much friction, wrong fuel, wrong glow plug , wrong propeller size, fuel tank too large and too low down or too far from the engine or the needle setting wrong.
To have your OS engine run good you have to first check the engine over by disassemble it and check the piston to cylinder fitting. I assume it is an ABN or ABC engine and as such the piston should not be able to pass through the cylinder when pressing it by hand in the cylinder. The piston should stop approximately 3-5mm from the cylinder top.
Inspect the ball bearings! Remove the cylinder and piston and turn/spin the crank by hand. It should spin freely! If not, remove the back plate and look inside. If you see brown warnish or rust on the ball bearing you better change to new pair of bearings. You should get C3 ball bearings. Open ones, with plastic retainers.

1. Use 5-10% nitro fuel!
2. Use either an OS 8 or Enya 3 glow plug.
3. Use a 10-12oz tank and use exhaust pressure from the silencer. Tank should be as close as possible to the engine (not more than 5cm from the back plate of the airplane) and the center of the tank should be in line with the fuel intake orifice in the carb when everything sits horizontal.
4. Use a 11x8, 12x6 or 13x4 propeller, Best ones are RAM ,APC and Graupner G-sonic . Needle settings are as follows...open the high speed needle 1 1/2-2 turns and the low speed needle -4 turns from fully in and go from there.
Then set the engine by ear! First adjust the high speed needle and then the low speed.