Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

O.S. Engines now made in China

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 07:33 PM
davidhand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: O.S. Engines now made in China

I got a 75AX recently, says made in Japan on the box, can't see the engine it's under a cowl. Seems to run OK though. If purchasing from say Tower how can one tell if it's Japan or Chinese made?
Old 06-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Scrubmonkey

this is old news. has been discussed too many times
Old 06-11-2013, 10:17 PM
CHARLES WINTER

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW hard to believe - Turned my wife over and there it was - MADE IN CHINA - But I still love her. Chuck Winter
Old 06-11-2013, 11:49 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Yep, my new .75AX says made in Japan on the box.

My Futaba 14MZ has a made in Taiwan sticker on it, along with the 2.4 module and R6008HS RX's ......
Old 06-12-2013, 12:00 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure there is older stock out there that was made in Japan. Look, all I am saying is they should disclose wether or not the engine you are purchasing is in fact made in China or Japan. I personally will Never buy an O.S. engine again unless I KNOWFORAFACT, it was made in Japan
Old 06-12-2013, 03:06 AM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ORIGINAL: Rotten40851

I'm sure there is older stock out there that was made in Japan. Look, all I am saying is they should disclose wether or not the engine you are purchasing is in fact made in China or Japan. I personally will Never buy an O.S. engine again unless I KNOW FOR A FACT, it was made in Japan
Well apart from the label on the box, I don't think there's any other way to tell and we have to trust the label. I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw the Taiwan label on my 14MZ since my 7UAPS was made in Japan and I guessed all their top-of-the-line equipment still would be. EDIT: I just checked out the pictures in the OS Engines manufacturing timeline and some of the AX series have "Japan" on them and some don't...

The copywrite on the .75AX box says 2003, my 140RX box is 1995 and my .61RF-P "Hanno" is 1990 which seems consistant with their manufacturing dates, but I didn't think the .75AX was made in 2003 but it could have been as it was a Tower Hobbies special and OS seems to want to clear their stock at 10 years. I've run the .75 AX for ~40 flights now and with the plug out there's hardly any nip left at TDC, however I'm keeping a log on it with prop/fuel/rpm numbers and will see if the RPM starts to fall off over time.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:40 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nothing wrong with buying from China, everyone does it. Just don't expect high quality when you do. The Chinese don't believe in quality, they believe in maximum employment. Building to the lowest marketable standard means they will get to manufacture lots of replacements in the future.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:37 AM
flybyjohn

I don't think they are looking to sell too many replacements in the future. The items are usually discontinued and they move onto another model. There are a few exceptions to that rule, like magnum and ASP. Other than that, the products are usually so inexpensive that you just buy another one instead of buying parts. I have over a dozen made in china engines and they all run great, I have an O.S. 91 fx and it is one of the worst running engines in my fleet.

I am sure that if you still want to buy a Japan engine made in China for a Japan price it will run just as good as the older ones.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:51 AM
astor dan
My Feedback: (32)

Probably better get use to it as they now own over 40% of our debt.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:45 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why buy an OS two stroke or any two strokewhen the best are made in the good ole USA? Yeah the Jett's are expensive but the K&B and Fox engines are better than OS.

And if you are hard up for a Japenese engine there is Enya, also better than an OS.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:52 AM
kamakazi
My Feedback: (1)

I bought a ST .40 made in China, it's not even close to the Italian made ones. Idle is awful, lacking the power of the Italian made and the engine makes a metallic sounding "ping", i think its due to the timing.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:19 AM
astor dan
My Feedback: (32)

I personally don't know about the two strokes, I haven't run any in years, but the OS four strokes are a suburb engine. They may or may not build them in china I dont know. They starts easly, never a dead stick, will idle down very low. have nothing but good things to say about them. I own several engines, a couple brand new. I have some that have a ton of hours. If you are having trouble with the two strokes, you might try the four strokes. They get better fuel economy , plus they sound terrific especially on scale planes. My two cents worth !!!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:21 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I bought a 65AX a couple of years ago. It wouldn't run worth a darn. Turned out it was made in China. My 75AX is about 4 years old and runs great, Japanese. OS Max was such a good company. The engines were bullet proof. I'm sorry to see them go, so to speak. I hope they are able to turn it around soon.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:26 AM
JPMacG

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Why buy an OS two stroke or any two stroke when the best are made in the good ole USA? Yeah the Jett's are expensive but the K&B and Fox engines are better than OS.

And if you are hard up for a Japenese engine there is Enya, also better than an OS.
+1

My recently manufactured Fox 74 is excellent, and yes, Enyas are excellent.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:05 AM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dauntae

Just because a engine is new wont mean it was now the Chinese made one, Only certain models (apparently the 65AX is one of them) However just because its made in China won't mean it will be the same quality as everything else, When a huge company has things made there they put a quality standard in place and if they make sub quality parts then the Chinese company eats the parts, Thus is why we see some of the knock offs of hanger 9 and Great planes, Many times there planes that failed the QUality check so the change a little of it and sell it as some thing else that looks like the original. The quality of china is getting better but still has a long way to go, I hope they get there soon, it's getting really hard to buy ANYTHING not made in China. Now I'm just waiting to see what they call the 65AX copy made by Sanye lol.

Dauntae
what dreamland are you living in. china doesn't have quality in their vocabulary.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:51 AM
saitofreak

ORIGINAL: Rotten40851

That's right boys and girls O.S. Engines are now '' Made in China''
I'm sad to hear that. Hopefully the four strokes will continue to be made in Japan.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:59 AM
saitofreak

"Made in China...it's the new "Made in Japan" "

Disagree that they're the new Japan. With a few exceptions, they're not there yet.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:22 AM
Rotten40851

I never thought I would see the day that I hoped something actually said " Made In Japan"
Old 06-12-2013, 08:23 AM
betarad

I concur. Remember in the 60's and 70's when anything "Made in Japan" was a joke and quality was seriously lacking? That's where I meant China is currently in a very similar process. They're just at the beginning...the laughing stock when it comes to quality. But my guess is in the next decade or so, they too will recognize that ultimately, quality control will be a key component in achieving the marketplace dominance they are currently seeking.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:39 AM
hsukaria

If it aint American, it aint!!!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:42 AM
controlliner

FOX! FOX! FOX! FOX! I'm Canadian and I still buy American Iron!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:46 AM
controlliner

Quality of Chinese manufacturing is on the rise as soon will the prices of their products. They will soon be the leader in industry. Does any one remember the TV Series Firefly? It was set in the future. The people’s second official language was Chinese. Pretty soon China will be the World’s new economic superpower.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:01 AM
Rotten40851

ORIGINAL: hsukaria

If it aint American, it aint!!!
I agree, However N.A.F.T.A. was the start of the demise of American manufacturing!!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:16 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I get a kick out of these threads.  It's so much fun to see the made in china, made in japan, made in mexico, made in america rants.  And the funniest ones are the american made rants where the ranter has no idea from where the orignal material came.  And they have no idea, not even a glimmer of a concept, that the problem is with the company making the decision to build something cheaper, not where it is made.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Rotten40851

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

I get a kick out of these threads. It's so much fun to see the made in china, made in japan, made in mexico, made in america rants. And the funniest ones are the american made rants where the ranter has no idea from where the orignal material came. And they have no idea, not even a glimmer of a concept, that the problem is with the company making the decision to build something cheaper, not where it is made.
At the very least put a capital A in the word America, I get a kick out of people like you that have no idea how to respect the country they live in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.