Default RE: O.S. Engines now made in China

ORIGINAL: NM2K

ORIGINAL: JKinTX

ORIGINAL: NM2K

ORIGINAL: blw

ORIGINAL: rosnik

Only some cheap OS type engines and electric ,
are China made.
That is just bashing since it is not even close to true.

There you go, blw. The Chinese possess homebrewed jet fighters and nuclear weapons along with the ICBMs to deliver them. Anyone that thinks that they are not capable of producing some very high quality model airplane engines at a great price is just fooling themselves.

I'm not pro Chinese. I'm just not anti Chinese.

Ed Cregger

You might want to be fair and mention that most of that was due to ''technology transfers'' via Uncle Sugar. ''Slick Willie'' helped them out with improving their ICBMs and the neutron bomb.

I walked around cussing the US government for weeks after the technology (technology that the American tax payer developed and paid for) for chips and other sundry advanced technology items had been made to Japan and other countries some decades ago.

Ed Cregger

Might note that Uncle had (or likely still has) a little problem with computer control chips that have been inserted into various US war thingies that were supposed to be US made and secure that have actually turned out to be foreign knock-offs made guess where? Why Shazam, Red China...
Old 06-15-2013, 10:45 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As some of you will notice right away, posts were deleted for being completely off topic for too long, having comments simply to bash someone or China, having political comments, and to criticize someone (me).

If you read anywhere around any of the engines forums you will find where we do drift away from the original topic in a fun and/or interesting way.....to a point. Then, we have to get back on track for the sake of the original poster and members. Believe it or not, but moderators get tons of complaints when things get too far off topic by members who are following along. This one has turned ugly. And too political. And pointless.

There are a number of things that can spin off of the original theme. Workmanship. QC. Prices. All, of this being informative and interesting.

A lot of posters are just getting things wrong. You can find the websites that offer manufacturing services out of China. The Chinese manufacturers give you rates, production estimates, options, etc. If you want something cheap and cheaply made, they will earn your dollar. Likewise, it is obvious that you can hire out for high quality goods too and they will certainly earn your money by giving what you order and pay for. I'll bet my ex wife and all that she got out of me that most of the cheapness we see in products is because someone over here in the U.S. ordered it just for that reason.

I am like one poster who pointed out- I'm not a Chinese engine lover but I'm not a Chinese engine basher either.

Lastly, for those who looked up my profile information since they actually thought it somehow pertinent to this thread, those numbers are the default ones that RCU put in when I joined. I'm just too lazy to tinker with it and don't really care what it says.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:55 AM
JKinTX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As some of you will notice right away, posts were deleted for being completely off topic for too long, having comments simply to bash someone or China, having political comments, and to criticize someone (me).

If you read anywhere around any of the engines forums you will find where we do drift away from the original topic in a fun and/or interesting way.....to a point. Then, we have to get back on track for the sake of the original poster and members. Believe it or not, but moderators get tons of complaints when things get too far off topic by members who are following along. This one has turned ugly. And too political. And pointless.

There are a number of things that can spin off of the original theme. Workmanship. QC. Prices. All, of this being informative and interesting.

A lot of posters are just getting things wrong. You can find the websites that offer manufacturing services out of China. The Chinese manufacturers give you rates, production estimates, options, etc. If you want something cheap and cheaply made, they will earn your dollar. Likewise, it is obvious that you can hire out for high quality goods too and they will certainly earn your money by giving what you order and pay for. I'll bet my ex wife and all that she got out of me that most of the cheapness we see in products is because someone over here in the U.S. ordered it just for that reason.

I am like one poster who pointed out- I'm not a Chinese engine lover but I'm not a Chinese engine basher either.

Lastly, for those who looked up my profile information since they actually thought it somehow pertinent to this thread, those numbers are the default ones that RCU put in when I joined. I'm just too lazy to tinker with it and don't really care what it says.
Go watch "War of the Arrows"...
Old 06-15-2013, 12:38 PM
JKinTX

Go watch "War of the Arows".
Old 06-15-2013, 06:09 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I was looking at the 65AX that gave me so much trouble. It has Japan cast into the case.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: CHARLES WINTER

WOW hard to believe - Turned my wife over and there it was - MADE IN CHINA - But I still love her. Chuck Winter

Stand them on their heads and they all look like sisters!
Old 06-16-2013, 12:03 AM
the pope

ORIGINAL: Speedy-Gonzales

ORIGINAL: CHARLES WINTER

WOW hard to believe - Turned my wife over and there it was - MADE IN CHINA - But I still love her. Chuck Winter

Stand them on their heads and they all look like sisters!
Or bike racks !!!!!!!!!!! cheers from the now banned pope
Old 06-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think everyone has had an engine or two that just would not work right for them. Some are individual manufacturing defects that may, or may not, be correctable, others just operator issues.

As far as Chinese made engines I have had excellent end results with ASP, Magnum, Evolution and Super Tigre. Some ran good out of the box, others needed a bit of tuning, fuel and glow plug experimenting. Again the end result was/is excellent.

Quality depends on the end manufacturer and parent monitoring of the process. Unless a person has a personal boycott of Chinese made engines there is little need to avoid them.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:08 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: 8178

Interesting! Tower doesn’t seem to have a way to know which OS engines are made in China other than looking at the box or engine casting. So if you want to buy a Japanese made OS engine from Tower you would need to do a telephone order and specify that you do not want a Chinese engine and have them put the on the pick list. Until they take the engine out of stock they might not know the origin until they look at the box.

I have quite a few OS engines and they all were all made in Japan and I would not want a Chinese one. In my opinion think OS is making a mistake with the China connection.
Tower confirmed that the 46AXII and 55AX are both now made in China and at this point they only have Chinese made engines in stock.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:56 PM
AMB

WONDER If the DAVIS DIESEL HEAD FITS THE 46AXll that is made for the 46 martin
Old 06-21-2013, 07:59 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: PatrickCurry

ORIGINAL: controlliner

A lot of manufacturing processes here in North America are highly expensive due to HAZMAT processing and disposal. We are putting the pinch on it to save our environment.
Maybe we should just build all our manufacturing plants along the border and pipeline all that stuff into Mexico.

That could be a help in two ways. http://www.siotw.org/modules/news_en...hp?itemid=1202
Old 06-23-2013, 01:13 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

After rereading my response to blw above, I realize that it could be misunderstood as to mean that I was bashing blw. That is not the case, as I was actually agreeing with my old friend, blw.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-23-2013, 03:04 AM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

Made in china, Japan, malasia, Indonesia who cares, there are all far distant places that none of us ever being and that have cheap hourly wages.
Lets buy made in USA. If only there were some American manufacturers
Go see the Fox thread...

Iskandar
Old 06-23-2013, 01:44 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: [Deleted]

I got it right away, Ed. No problems here.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:49 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

o
ORIGINAL: iskandar taib

ORIGINAL: lopflyers

Made in china, Japan, malasia, Indonesia who cares, there are all far distant places that none of us ever being and that have cheap hourly wages.
Lets buy made in USA. If only there were some American manufacturers

Go see the Fox thread...

Iskandar

I have owned/used several brand new engines purchased from RJL/MECOA, however you spell it, and have had nothing but excellent service from each and excellent service on parts and accessories. Why don't you foks buy his (Randy Lansalato) engines and quit your *****in'? Fox Manufacturing is an excellent US manufacturerer of model engines. Alas, Fox is a bit pricey. Ditto Jett Engineering's lineup of terrific engines. There are plenty of manufacturer/suppliers of modern glow engines that are mostly made, or just machined right here in America. All of the engines that I own/run from American manufacturers are excellent quality engines, IF you follow the instructions.

Ed Cregger
Old 06-24-2013, 12:07 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

MECOA also owns the HP and HB line of engines along with RJL (Kraft) and K&B, plus some antique engines too.  So technically if he has them you can get a HP or HB engine that is now made in the USA too.   Fox Manufacturing of course still makes engines in the USA.  For the little .049 Cox engines, they are mostly USA made abeit they are assembled in Cananda, but the Cox Engines company has started making some parts neded to ake complete engines with  ett Enginerring makes the awesome Jett engines too.

It is interesting how there used to be over two humdred different companies or brands of model engines made in the USA over the years, and now we are down to MECOA, Jett and Fox.  For gas engines there is DA, SYSSA, and Fox too.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:27 PM
wallace.tharp

ORIGINAL: earlwb

MECOA also owns the HP and HB line of engines along with RJL (Kraft) and K&B, plus some antique engines too. So technically if he has them you can get a HP or HB engine that is now made in the USA too. Fox Manufacturing of course still makes engines in the USA. For the little .049 Cox engines, they are mostly USA made abeit they are assembled in Cananda, but the Cox Engines company has started making some parts neded to ake complete engines with ett Enginerring makes the awesome Jett engines too.

It is interesting how there used to be over two humdred different companies or brands of model engines made in the USA over the years, and now we are down to MECOA, Jett and Fox. For gas engines there is DA, SYSSA, and Fox too.

Did I already say that at an R/C field, near Deer Valley in Phoenix, Az., there was a sign on the out house that said, "Deposit Fox Engines Here?" That was about my luck with them too. Same with ASP, even though I did get one to run pretty good when I learned they were an FAI type that required zero nitro. Shimmed the head on a 90(shim was in the box), and it ran pretty well with 10% nitro. O. S. was always my favorite 2 stroke. wallace.tharp
Old 06-30-2013, 04:35 PM
Sport_Pilot

Same with ASP, even though I did get one to run pretty good when I learned they were an FAI type that required zero nitro.
That may have been your problem with Fox as well.  Fox is better made than an ASP.
Old 06-30-2013, 04:39 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The guy that wrote that on there obviously went in there to empty his head in the head.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:15 PM
wallace.tharp

ORIGINAL: Hobbsy

The guy that wrote that on there obviously went in there to empty his head in the head.
Good one, may I add, "to empty his fox's head in the head!" Woooo! Puns. wallace.tharp
Old 07-03-2013, 05:34 AM
summerwind

this whole thread is nothing more than a comedy and an "i told you so" cliche.

we Americans always go for the cheapest price3, and what has it done?

driven the LHS's out of business to start, killed the kit business, and killed the best engine makers in the world...............haha.....LOL.......those of you who started in this hobby late, or were cheapskapes got what you deserved.

even my south of the border amigos won't buy anything "chineese' made.

but i want to thank those Americans that have killed this hobby as we see it today...........i quit RC because of what's avaiable, went back to my roots which is FF and am paying thru the nose for anything American made that comes up on ebay...........sheesh!!!!

OS engines was the last straw..............Sport Pilot is right on though, you want a quality and powerful long lasting engine, then buy Jett...........or Fox and K&B.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:56 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Summerwind is right. We are 'bargain shoppers'. We forced the manufacturers to move to countries where labor is least expensive. Someday maybe the world will reach economic equilibrium and we will all be making $3 per hour. Then US made engines will be priced competitivly with Taiwan and China.
Old 07-03-2013, 09:06 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

But there is not necessarily anything wrong with engines made in areas of cheap labor. I have had nothing but good results from my Thunder Tiger engines. Magnum.... well... that's another story.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:03 AM
falcon_56

Going back to the OP, cheap is not the issue here.

He paid full price for a OS AX .65 which failed on him and crashed his plane.  After looking closely at his engine he discovered it was Made in China and not Japan like OS used to be.

Regardless of the country of manufacture the issue is that there was a problem with that engine and it just happened to cost the same as before and it happened to be made in China.

I guess people who buy OS engines, do so because they expect flawless performance and customer support.  Regardless of country of manufacture, I think people expect to get what they paid for.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:04 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

They say you get what you pay for... I think in most cases they are right. I agree that just because its made in China doesn't mean it's inferior to something made elsewhere in the world... Sadly, its really hard to find anything NOT made in China anymore. True that the US sort of caused it, but I think it's in partly due to the housing/foreclosure/bank crisis that fudged things up. People can't afford things they used to, the dollar is nearly worthless, and a lot of people are flat out lazy. But hey, you can get a subsidized cell phone if you want one... Seems they're pretty easy to get.

If someone wants a premium engine that's still made in Japan, Enya is still making premium quality engines for a good price. They sell directly to the consumer too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.