Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

FOX ENGINES

Old 06-28-2013, 07:14 AM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: FOX ENGINES

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

Are you sure you were using Stunt .35's on Goodyear? No throttle as that is supposed to be for control line. They are still popular for stunt, at least for those who like to fly stunt but don't really compete and prefer not to spend as much on the more expensive larger stunt planes. So you should be able to sell your Fox's. You won't get that much for them unless really old or one of the odd varients that were not around very long.

These engines are made for torque spinning a 10-6 at around 10 to 11K and with a 4-2-4 break right out of the box. Easy to start and reliable. The only real problems is that they vibrate a bit, and the stock needle will break off on a profile on the first inverted landing or hard landing (aka crash).

As far as new designs, the designs are far superior to most. The only designs they need are for larger engines.
The Fox Stunt is a good engine for low-performance "Slow" competition classes. Everyone uses the same engine, so it's competitive by definition. Sometimes the rules specify the airframe as well. Racing classes like this abound, and are regional or club-based, examples include Foxy Hazel Racing, NW Sport Race, the Skyray 35 Race they hold at the SIG contest every year. Performance may be "low", but you can still get Fox Stunt powered racers up to 100mph with the proper prop and airframe. Similar were the Fox 35 combat competitions we used to have in the 80s and 90s - this was before Speed Limit Combat appeared. Typically 60-65mph on 60 foot lines - made for some really leisurely combat - you could actually THINK about what you were going to do next. For all the talk about 10x6 props, we found that a 8x6 worked really well on a 35 Stunt in combat - you'd get maybe 68 mph.

I fixed the needle problem with - how else? A bladder and remote needle. All my engines other than 1/2-As and F2Ds are set up this way.

Iskandar
Old 06-28-2013, 07:19 AM
iskandar taib
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: FOX ENGINES

ORIGINAL: earlwb

As far as I am concerned is that Fox makes perfectly good sport engines. They ceded the racing and competition engine business to other companies. It would be terribly difficult to compete with Jett or other companies like that. The Fox .35X combat engines was their last foray into competition types of engines. But if people want a competition engine for racing or speed or something, they probably ought to look for a different brand engine then, say from Jett for example. Of course with the 2.5cc engine market there are several all out competition engines, such as Cyclon, Fora, Parra for example. It is hard to compete with them.

Well, I'd go a little later than that. The Mark VII was pretty competitive, John Lowry ran one in Slow Rat at a Nats, can't remember what year, the very end of the 90s IIRC. He said the only non-Fox part on it was the plug (he used a Nelson plug). He said he put up the best time in the competition, too.

Iskandar
Old 08-16-2019, 06:28 AM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I totally agree with this post -- I have many Fox engines which I use mainly for sport flying. The performance of their ABC engines is hard to beat. I have the Fox 40, 46, and a special Fox 74 ABC's and they are spectacular. My Q-500 .40 ABC is as fact as any other brand in our club. I also have a .19 and a .25 lapped Ball Bearing engine and for it's size they too are hard to beat.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:39 PM
mgnostic

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

I have a half dozen Fox engines but only two carbs. The engines are new or close to it, long story Has any one got any experience with the Perry carb conversions?
Old 09-05-2019, 12:49 PM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by mgnostic
I have a half dozen Fox engines but only two carbs. The engines are new or close to it, long story Has any one got any experience with the Perry carb conversions?
what kind of experience you looking for. I have made adapters to replace the bolt on carbs with Perrys but on the larger 60's and 74's I prefer the Supertigre MKIII carbs.
One of the problems you may have already pictured is the difference in the style of engines like the .40 which I believe they changed several times. I fell in love the my ABC Foxes like the 40 delux, the 46 and I have a 74 abc. The newer .19 bb and the 25bb are great running engines too but need a little mothering to keep them happy.

Last edited by gmeyers; 09-05-2019 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-06-2019, 06:56 AM
mgnostic

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by gmeyers
what kind of experience you looking for. I have made adapters to replace the bolt on carbs with Perrys but on the larger 60's and 74's I prefer the Supertigre MKIII carbs.
One of the problems you may have already pictured is the difference in the style of engines like the .40 which I believe they changed several times. I fell in love the my ABC Foxes like the 40 delux, the 46 and I have a 74 abc. The newer .19 bb and the 25bb are great running engines too but need a little mothering to keep them happy.
I should have been specific. The engines in question are ringed Eagle IV .60s. Perry sells an adapter but I would like to see any photos of home made adapters.
Old 01-13-2022, 09:18 AM
WoKlenk

Default FOX engie: Interested in factory new engine?

Hello,
is somebody still active in the forum?
I have a factory new, never run, FOX MOTORI motor for a RC plane. I have kene use for it, but do not want to just throw it away.
The flywheel is marked "FOX Motori 07-03-01E". I can provide a lot of pictures, but unfortunately I cannot post it here at the moment.

Is there anybody who is intereesded in or has performance data to this nice, new engine?

Regards
Wolfgang