Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

4-stroke engine recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 09:10 AM
ululi1970

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 4-stroke engine recommendation

ORIGINAL: bogbeagle

Do any of you blokes know how to calculate the amount of power produced by this engine ... 10,800 rpm on a 9 x 6 ?

Obviously, you can only estimate; but it would be interesting to have a figure.
Using a static thrust calculator that gives 2lbs of thrust and requires 0.33 hp.

Alberto
Old 07-24-2013, 11:47 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Alberto, I really think you shouldn't be using a 6 inch pitch on that little 4 stroke, it is just not efficient for what you are trying to do.

Sounds like you need to fix the valves or get a better engine. I actually flew a Lazy Tiger at 4 lbs 6 oz, i.e., 70 ozs, with an OS 26 FS. It was underpowered, but I flew it inverted and did mild aerobatics that way, so a 52 oz plane, more than a pound lighter, should fly decently on your 30 FS if it is running well. I used a 10x4 prop.

Trying the Norvel is not a bad idea, if it's not a lot of work to install.

Jim
Old 07-24-2013, 12:46 PM
ululi1970

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Norvel has the same bolt and crankcase spacing as the MAgnum. Only PITA is that I need to fashion an extender for the muffler to clear the firewall. The Norvel has an unusual bolt spacing on the muffler, so I'll need to get hold of a piece of aluminum stock and drill out the extender... Should not be too difficult.

Alberto