Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Fear of YS engines

Old 11-29-2013, 11:38 PM
Giant_Scale_Gasser
My Feedback: (84)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had 3 YS 4 strokes. All were great engines. My favorite combo was the YS 1.10FZ on my Funtana S90. The guys who usually complain about tuning the YS are the guys who don't spend the time to understand them and never realize that one of the needles is backwards to conventional tuning wisdom. They usually also do not understand that the blade width of a screwdriver is enough of an adjustment when tuning in, most guys are whipping the needles around so much they wear the threads out!

If I were going back to glow, I'd buy a YS is a millisecond. Best engines I have ever owned.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	108_7593.JPG
Views:	3272
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	1943546  
Old 11-30-2013, 05:58 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

There has always been a bit of mis-information floating around concerning YS engines whether you like them or not and that is, the diaphragm is not part of the "pump", it is part of the regulator and controls the fuel flow exactly like the Cline and IronBay regulators. The crankcase in combination with the rotary valve on the fourstrokes is the pump.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:13 AM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike31
I wish they still made the 2 strokes!
The YS 60 is available:
http://newsite.centralhobbies.com/rc...s_engines.html

Last edited by Atlanta 60; 11-30-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:21 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The rotary valve/disc is the supercharger and has nothing to do with the fuel pump.

The DZ range are the only YS engines that use a fuel pump. All the others use a pressurized fuel system.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:04 AM
Hobbsy

Actually, it is the pump, the crankcase pump utilizing the rotary valve and a check valve pressurizes the fuel tank, the regulator reads the fuel draw at the spraybar just like any other regulator.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:16 AM
drac1

Hmm, you might want to do a bit more research.

The DZ range is the ONLY model that has a fuel pump. This pump is located between a 2 piece push rod.

ALL other models use crankcase pressure to provide fuel pressure hence the one way valve. The rotary disc/valve is DEFINITELY NOT a fuel pump.

It is not even a pump of any kind. it is a valve. As the disc rotates, the timing of the port in the disc allows crankcase presssure through to th inlet. The solid side of the disc then blocks off the opening as the inlet valve is opened and the air/fuel charge is forced into the cylinder. This is the supercharging effect.

The pressure for the fuel system is tapped off a seperate line from the crankcase.

Last edited by drac1; 11-30-2013 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Accuracy.
The following users liked this post:
DaveR (01-12-2021)
Old 11-30-2013, 07:24 AM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been using YS engines since 2000 and have owned many. YS engines are my preferred motor to use. I have nearly 20 of these motors in planes or waiting for planes. Tuning isn't that hard once you get the feel for it. Run the right fuel, right plug, and enjoy. I have some planes that will sit for a year or more and they fire right back up.

Jimmy Skids
Old 11-30-2013, 07:29 AM
Hobbsy

Any time you use mechanical devices to move something through an enclosed space it is a pump. In this case the bottom line is that this crankcase pump moves fuel. That's about as pumpy as you can get. Semantics won't change the facts.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:33 AM
drac1

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Any time you use mechanical devices to move something through an enclosed space it is a pump. In this case the bottom line is that this crankcase pump moves fuel. That's about as pumpy as you can get. Semantics won't change the facts.
The disc doesn't move anything. It opens a port which allows the crankcase pressure through to the inlet. That's why it is a valve and not a pump.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:40 AM
drac1

Correct terminology for the disc is "rotary valve".
Old 11-30-2013, 08:24 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

But if you include the motion of the piston in the crankcase changing the volume as it moves, that space is the pump with the disk or valve opening at a key moment to bring in a fuel mixture charge.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:44 AM
Warbird40
My Feedback: (24)

If anybody got a check valve laying around for cheap, please PM me. Thanks
Old 11-30-2013, 08:45 AM
drac1

Fuel and air is drawn into the engine through the carby as normal. Crankcase pressure is then allowed to enter the inlet box (or in the DZ's, the rocker cover), through the rotary valve under pressure.
When the inlet valve opens, the air/fuel charge is forced into the combustion chamber. This is the supercharging, which is why YS's are so powerfull.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:57 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one of the older 120 four-strokes.

Was a pita ... used to throw props occasionally ... the pressurised fuel system was messy ... way too expensive to feed ... inconsistent ... brutal vibration.

Yes, I know ... all my fault.

Anyway, I modded it. Took off the supercharger and fitted a normally-aspirated carb. Now, it is probably the best engine I own. Easy to start, frugal and never seems to quit. Probably only develops half the power that it used to, though. Am looking for another to convert, 'cos the quality of them is so good.

That said, the OS pumpers are great. I have one of those, too.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:07 AM
drac1

YS's are by far the most powerful four strokes, but to get that power you need to burn fuel.

The cdi versions are the best. Idle speed is way lower and they use half the amount of fuel of the same size glow version.

But this performance comes at a price and the average modeller isn't prepared to pay it.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Capt. Sluggo
My Feedback: (2)

I remember reading a Clarence Lee test of the YS 60 SE around 1980. He called it the strongest 60 he had tested at that time.
I promptly got one and it has been a jewel of an engine that is no more finnicky about plugs, fuel, props, or pipes than other glow engines. This is still my favorite engine of any type, with the 45 a close second.
My only YS 4 stroke is an FZ 110, and while it certainly prefers higher nitro, I have used 15% as well. I just love YS power.
For me, the pressurized fuel system is a major positive. YS engines have been used by so many competition fliers over the years and it is not because they are too much trouble.
Capt. Sluggo
Old 11-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Hobbsy

Bog, I remember when you did that a while back.

Drac, the Rocker cover serves as part of the plenum system in the AC's and the FZ's also.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:55 AM
drac1

Yes Hobbsy. The AC's and some of the FZ's have the box at the back of the engine also. What is the purpose of the box?

All the engines i have, only have the intake tube.
Old 11-30-2013, 05:39 PM
TFF

Pattern rules were changed to say the air box to hold the mixture was not allowed, so YS came up with using the valve cover as the box. I like my FZ110. It is worn and I mostly feed it 15%. Needle twiddlers dont like them. A click can be what the difference of good and bad. When you go rich remember you have two strokes of fuel mixture so when the go rich they go rich fast; same with lean. Best is to find a medium point; I only adjust once for summer and once for winter. Keep fingers off if it is running fine. I want one on ignition.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:57 PM
kochj

I have purchased my 1st ys engine!!!
I ALWAYS wanted to get one since I saw a YS 110 in a QQ yak 54 69"....
The sound, the power...wow.....

I had heard the older ys 1.20's and .90's were a bit futsy....so I looked for the ys 110, 115, and 170.. but I took a chance on a brilliant DZ1.60
It was used, and came with a like new hatori muffler (can't call them a pipe, becuase it isn't tuned per say)

When it arrived I was in love.... I have had saito 4-strokes, OS 2-strokes and a couple of china OS coppies Magnum .91.

I didn't have any YS 20/20 so I used some wildcat 15% nitro and 100% synthetic... I wanted some more oil so I added a titch of Sig Castor...( YS calls for 20% I believe it was 18% prior to adding the castor)
Yes I know that castor is a NO NO! ...but it was for 1-2 min of running..

The engine had very little use, and EXCELLENT CARE.....I looked inside prior to running and it was PRISTENE....not a HINT of rust!....
It was VERY well cared for. The owner claimed he used the same 100% sythetic oil as used in Cool Power ?
I picked up the recomended stuff that is 10$ a BOTTLE... but it is a BIg bottle...

It ran great right out of the box..... I even had it under proped (apc 14x13 or 12) anyhow..it ran great....
This was all on a test stand...but I can't wait.... I should have gotten one sooner...

It will be going in a TopFlite .60 size Corsair..
It will be reinforced so it will not rip appart...

YS engines gets my nod... Will be purchasing more in the future.. Unless it sudenly becomes a turd while flying with it..

I would also like to purchase OS 4strokes as well....like the 155 or 200 4 -strokes with pumps... ..
Expensive? yes... but they are really great engines..... anyone want to try to make one for less??? Good luck....

Peace ...

Last edited by kochj; 11-30-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:02 PM
MFLOOD3800
My Feedback: (51)

I have been flying YS engines for most of my RC experience. I have recently been flying them in a race setting in warbird racing. Early on in my RC experience, "tuning" was an issue. Not the engine but my knowledge. Now that I race these, I have learned its not just tuning. You need to know how to let the pressure build up and not go wide open so quickly while setting the needle. Once the routine is set, there is no better four stroke for power. I run 60% nitro and that in itself creates the possibility for tuning issues, but I have none. When I race these, I do around 1-2 practice flights, then 4-5 race flights. Thats 5-7 flights. Probably more than you fly your "sport" plane in a day. These are reliable, durable and poweful. What more could you want? As far as the gaskets or seals going, most people run after oil in these and the silicone gaskets are ruined. Again these need a different set of protocols. Many use a non petroleum oil for after run. I just use 100% synthetic oil.
I have 3 race planes currently, a 70, a 110 and a 115. All three start the same, tune the same and perform the same. Its a proccess- learn it and enjoy the strongest 4 strokes out there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	warbirds.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1943841  
Old 11-30-2013, 08:10 PM
Hobbsy

The .53s and the .63s had a fat intake tube plus storage in the rocker cover instead of the box.
Old 11-30-2013, 09:51 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by TFF
Pattern rules were changed to say the air box to hold the mixture was not allowed, so YS came up with using the valve cover as the box. I like my FZ110. It is worn and I mostly feed it 15%. Needle twiddlers dont like them. A click can be what the difference of good and bad. When you go rich remember you have two strokes of fuel mixture so when the go rich they go rich fast; same with lean. Best is to find a medium point; I only adjust once for summer and once for winter. Keep fingers off if it is running fine. I want one on ignition.
Where does it say that in the Sporting Code for pattern? The only rules pertaining to aircraft are; max 5kg, max 2 meter length, max 2 meter wingspan and max 95db noise level.
You can use whatever engine and airframe you want as long as it fits within these specs.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:48 AM
drac1

Originally Posted by kochj
I have purchased my 1st ys engine!!!
I ALWAYS wanted to get one since I saw a YS 110 in a QQ yak 54 69"....
The sound, the power...wow.....

I had heard the older ys 1.20's and .90's were a bit futsy....so I looked for the ys 110, 115, and 170.. but I took a chance on a brilliant DZ1.60
It was used, and came with a like new hatori muffler (can't call them a pipe, becuase it isn't tuned per say)

When it arrived I was in love.... I have had saito 4-strokes, OS 2-strokes and a couple of china OS coppies Magnum .91.

I didn't have any YS 20/20 so I used some wildcat 15% nitro and 100% synthetic... I wanted some more oil so I added a titch of Sig Castor...( YS calls for 20% I believe it was 18% prior to adding the castor)
Yes I know that castor is a NO NO! ...but it was for 1-2 min of running..

The engine had very little use, and EXCELLENT CARE.....I looked inside prior to running and it was PRISTENE....not a HINT of rust!....
It was VERY well cared for. The owner claimed he used the same 100% sythetic oil as used in Cool Power ?
I picked up the recomended stuff that is 10$ a BOTTLE... but it is a BIg bottle...

It ran great right out of the box..... I even had it under proped (apc 14x13 or 12) anyhow..it ran great....
This was all on a test stand...but I can't wait.... I should have gotten one sooner...

It will be going in a TopFlite .60 size Corsair..
It will be reinforced so it will not rip appart...

YS engines gets my nod... Will be purchasing more in the future.. Unless it sudenly becomes a turd while flying with it..

I would also like to purchase OS 4strokes as well....like the 155 or 200 4 -strokes with pumps... ..
Expensive? yes... but they are really great engines..... anyone want to try to make one for less??? Good luck....

Peace ...
A DZ160 on 30% nitro will swing a APC 16.5 X12 at 8200rpm. On a 60 size moded this engine is way over kill, but if it fits and balances ok it will be a nice combination.

A DZ160 or bigger is a much better engine than the OS155-200. A DZ160 will perform as well as the OS200.

As for using castor, a small amount will not affect how the engine runs. In all my engines i use 1% castor oil and multi viscosity coolpower synthetic oil. 20% in the glow engines and 10% in the cdi engines. The standard blue oil is a bit thick.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:09 AM
maekju

I have 2 YS 45 side exhaust, 1 rear exhaust and a old 120SC. Love these engines, I just wish I could afford the newer YS 4 strokes on the market today. The only problem I have with these engines is the high nitro for the 4 strokers, I run 20/20 in mine and 10 - 15 in my 2 strokes. The 4 strokers are more expensive to run then other engines. I'm the only one in our club who fly's YS. The others say they're a pain to tune, just a short learning curve that's all. I run them on the pipe and off the pipe muffled. Would be nice if they could come up with a gas version YS

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.