Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito Gas Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 07:14 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Saito Gas Conversion

I need a little help here.. A friend of mine pointed me in the right direction towards the CH conversion. But they have 2 conversions that seem very similar

I have an old stock glow saito 150 that id like to convert over to gas

here are the two options CH sells

Saito Glow CDI Conversion http://www.ch-ignitions.com/index.ph...cdi_conversion what is a GLOW CDI? i though only gas engines used CDIs

Saito Gasoline CDI Conversion http://www.ch-ignitions.com/index.ph...cdi_conversion
Old 12-12-2013, 07:51 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MetallicaJunkie
I need a little help here.. A friend of mine pointed me in the right direction towards the CH conversion. But they have 2 conversions that seem very similar

I have an old stock glow saito 150 that id like to convert over to gas

here are the two options CH sells

Saito Glow CDI Conversion http://www.ch-ignitions.com/index.ph...cdi_conversion what is a GLOW CDI? i though only gas engines used CDIs

Saito Gasoline CDI Conversion http://www.ch-ignitions.com/index.ph...cdi_conversion

CDI is merely a spark ignition system. It doesn't matter to the CDI whether it is lighting off gasoline or glow fuel.

The big difference is power output. An engine converted to CDI properly tuned for glow fuel will make about 5% MORE HP than the GI (glow ignition) version while a gas conversion will produce about 15% LESS HP then the same engine W/GI.

Taken together, CDI/glow fuel will produce greater than 20% more HP than a gasoline conversion.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:15 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a old style CH ignition (from the previous CH company) on my Saito 150. It will run either glow fuel or gasoline.

I run the gas/oil at 20:1.
The following users liked this post:
futabaflyer (02-10-2021)
Old 12-13-2013, 03:41 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by w8ye
I have a old style CH ignition (from the previous CH company) on my Saito 150. It will run either glow fuel or gasoline.

I run the gas/oil at 20:1.
How did you get the alcohol carburetor to run the gas W/O being overly sensitive? I got mine to "run" but it was very touchy & had to be fiddled with a lot.

Just a bit of trivia:

The "old" company was CH Electronics,

the "new" is CH Ignitions.

futabaflyer (02-10-2021)
Old 12-13-2013, 10:01 AM
MetallicaJunkie

ok thanks for the explanation Telemaster....so that means ill need to go down in rop size if i do convert it to gas (gas CDI)? it happily swung a 17x6 using glow fuel....now ill have to go down to a 16x6?
Old 12-14-2013, 12:26 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It runs fine with the original carb. Has a rich spot around 5,000 where I stay above or below it.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:28 PM
nonfanatic
My Feedback: (18)

I'm in Mcallen, I have a couple of the ch ignition conversion in both gas and glow, They run great. just converted fron my h9 1/4 scale cub back to gow with igniton and it spun a dynaflight 18-8 (ancient prop) 6600 rpm! with out tuning. gonna fiddle with it some more when I get time.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:16 PM
MetallicaJunkie

cool...it's rare to run into a "local" on here.... im gonna do a CH conversion too... i just need to get the plane back in flying condition first then ill work on the engine
Old 12-28-2013, 06:34 PM
nonfanatic

Eddie, is this you?
Old 12-28-2013, 09:20 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Sure is.... Rick?
Old 12-30-2013, 06:42 AM
nonfanatic

yep............. missed you at Tejas yesterday. we had a good time...............flew the cub with the C&h ignition on glow, runs really well.
futabaflyer (02-10-2021)
Old 12-30-2013, 08:23 PM
MetallicaJunkie

Originally Posted by nonfanatic
yep............. missed you at Tejas yesterday. we had a good time...............flew the cub with the C&h ignition on glow, runs really well.
cool ... im glad you could fly with the guys..It was an awesome day yesterday...Ive been flying close to my house lately...its hard to beat a 3 minute drive when all i need is a quikie.... before i get into the conversion i would really like to see one of your saitos and how yours is set up... i might not need the full kit... i have a spare hall sensor and ignition module and a spare carb from a dl55