Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Large glow engines - are they passing away?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Large glow engines - are they passing away?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 04:32 PM
ghsmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased 2 large Moki engines on ebay...and the original 2.1 paperwork from the "NEW" engine said to break it in, and even run it with 0% nitro, with NO synthetic oil. It recommended...even stated that nito has no increased benefit for the engine performance. The recommended fuel was 20/80 FAI fuel... 20% castor oil and 80% methanol... Anybody out there have any input, experience or ideas on this?
Old 12-18-2013, 05:19 PM
husker
My Feedback: (1)

ghsmith My experience with Moki 210 engines has been really good. You cannot wear them out if you do not run them lean. Probably not a bad idea to run some castor in the beginning but I run 5% fuel with synthetic and no problems. Have never tried 0% FAI fuel so cannot help you there. I have three and I am changing out for DLE gas as they are very thirsty but do make lots of power. Been running my oldest Moki for 10 plus years and have changed out the bearings a time or two but they are great engines!! BJs engine service has parts if you need anything. Good luck with your engines.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:26 PM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hsukaria

When you compare gas to glow, remember that the gassers are "cheating": ignition system, pumper carb, loud non-restricting mufflers. As for me, the biggest plus from gassers is the dependable ignition and pumper carb that permits the installation of the fuel tank at the CG

Now, you could do the same for glow by adding a fuel pressure regulating system, ignition, loud mufflers, and then compare them to each other.

I've already done all of that. Haven't you been paying attention? How do you think I get 4HP out of a N/A FA180?

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 12-18-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:28 PM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by hsukaria
I would rather kiss a beautiful girl through a screen door rather than an ugly girl without it.
That depends on how ugly the girl is or how many beers I've had.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:34 PM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by rmh
The old issue with alky drawing water and rusting bearings still remains tho-
Since 4-strokes don't draw raw fuel into the case, that's not an issue so much. I only use ARO @ the end of the season & I don't use ANY castor. The only time I've had rusted bearings was after I stored a crashed airframe in an unheated shed for 14 years W/fuel in the gas tank/carburetor.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:57 PM
308jockey

For what it's worth I just spent an excellent afternoon flying an OS 160 powered Christen Eagle and finished up with a flight on my little electric Edge 540 that climbs like a homesick angel. Won't be giving up my glow motors but have just about everything but a turbine in something.

Rick H.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:21 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GerKonig
Yes, but the real fact is you do not do this on all day long:-) Nobody would enjoy doing it nonstop all day long.... I had an electric that could fly 30' on one charge. So, I flew 2 times w/o recharging. Personally whatever the fuel is, 10 minutes is what I will fly before landing...

Some people fly more than others. I rarely do more than 3 to a max of 6 flights, and in most cases bring 3 models to the field (only 2 if both are giant scale). There is something for everybody in this hobby.

Gerry
I regularly do 12 Flights a day. I have done 15.

I never get tired of listening to a YS.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:39 PM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SrTelemaster150
I've already done all of that. Haven't you been paying attention? How do you think I get 4HP out of a N/A FA180?
I've been paying attention. You do the ignition, but gassers also have the pumper carbs and the wimpy mufflers.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:34 PM
Cpt Crash
My Feedback: (12)

I'm one of those suckers who buys up the used big glow motors. I have a couple of Supertigre 2500s, a couple of Moki 1.8s, and a Supertigre 3000. I like them: easy to set up and run and pretty trouble free. I'm tempted by gas, but like some of the other respondants, I don't like the smell of gas. Also, I've seen that gas engines give pilots as much trouble as any cranky glow engine would. I like the simpler aircraft setup for glow: no ignition module, no extra wires or batteries or switches or optical kill units. That being said, the manufacturers are definitely favoring ignition gas engines right now, and it's the big trend for IC power. So keep listing those big glow motors...
Old 12-18-2013, 07:52 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Gas engines are getting smaller too.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:17 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

True they are, but to my mind anything smaller than a .90 gasser is a niche product made for a dedicated gas guy who wants to have a smaller plane in his hangar. At that size, gas is considerably heavier because of the ignition. So unless someone develops a .40 gasser that can hang with a .60 glow, they won't ever actually be the better choice performance wise.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:32 PM
Sport_Pilot

That depends on how ugly the girl is or how many beers I've had.
Besides fat bottom girls make the world go round!
Old 12-18-2013, 09:31 PM
tony0707

I fly only two cycle glo from 46 to 1.08 for 23years. (nicad 6,.0 v RX - Futaba 7c TX )
Love my 60 size airframes with the 75ax ,OS 91FX and Webra Speed 61
60 Stik , TigerTwo, Ultrasport , Stevens Acro and Starduster Two
Two cycle glo work well in this size which I stay with due to being retired
Have now and had larger planes ,but found them more difficult to be moving around

Fuel in north central Florida is 18.00 for Morgan Omega 15 percent
No interest in electric power
Not crazy about the smell of gas in my shop that is a bedroom in my home
Old 12-18-2013, 09:41 PM
drac1

The biggest glow I have is the ST4500. I have 3.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:07 AM
SrTelemaster150

Originally Posted by jester_s1
True they are, but to my mind anything smaller than a .90 gasser is a niche product made for a dedicated gas guy who wants to have a smaller plane in his hangar. At that size, gas is considerably heavier because of the ignition. So unless someone develops a .40 gasser that can hang with a .60 glow, they won't ever actually be the better choice performance wise.

A .60 gasser barely makes .40 glow power.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:01 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A .60 gasser barely makes .40 glow power.
I don't think that is really true anymore. The Evolution 10cc gas engine runs really strong, much more like a .60 glow engine does. Guys are flying the smaller .60 glow engine size planes with them. the Evo 10cc gas engine turns larger props about 500 to 1000 rpms faster than the glow engine does, but the glow engine turns smaller props about 500 to 1000 RPMs faster than the gas engine does. The NV Engines .40GX gas engine runs as well if not better than the glow version and it likes larger props like the 11x7 too. Now then the NV Engines glow and their gas engine both use a glow plug, but one engine is setup for gas and the other for glow fuel. The thing is the gas engine tends to prefer running larger propellers in comparison to the glow engine preferring to run smaller propellers.

I do have both engines and I am quite impressed with how well the engines run and how strong the engines run too. Much much better than I was expecting. I also have the NGh 9cc gas engine and it runs about the same as a average .40 to .45 glow engine does, not the super strong ones though.

Last edited by earlwb; 12-19-2013 at 04:06 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 12-19-2013, 04:37 AM
GerKonig

Originally Posted by drac1
I regularly do 12 Flights a day. I have done 15.

I never get tired of listening to a YS.
Good for you! Our club's members (we are a 25 member club) have been getting older with time. I am one of the youngest at 63:-) So, we do not do 15 flights in one day, normally. At the giant scale fun fly meets maybe 3. Heck! We had a member (passed away) that never flew. He would show up with a foldable working bench, set up, and tinker with his engines for a couple of hours every Saturday.

That is, precisely the beauty of this hobby. To each his own. You can go as complicated or as easy as you want:-)

I had an old buddy that used to say: Airplanes are like women, I like them all!

Gerry
Old 12-19-2013, 06:48 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Wow 15 flights. That's around 2 and 1/2 hours of flight time. I'm jealuos. I don't fly that long in a month.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Tony Iannucelli
My Feedback: (193)

Flying in Florida is a different situation than flying in colder climates. I recall when I lived north that we flew from maybe late April to Thanksgiving, about a 6-7 month flying season. The rest of the time was spent in the shop, building, covering, and otherwise maintaining. And the weather was always a factor, even in the summer. In Florida, and most other southern climates, a modeler's fleet generally gets used a lot more. Of course we have our share of guys that no longer fly or fly once a month. Their planes last a lot longer, their fuel costs are a lot lower, they don't worry about bad vibes in their airframes, and they never break props! The retired guys who fly regularly, 10-15 flights a week or more, spend a lot more money on their stuff and get a lot more air time. But as has been mentioned many times, it's a great hobby, and there's something for everyone. We fly nitro, electric, and gas. There are advantages and drawbacks to all. Electric is clean, but there are short flight times, and charging batteries gets to be a drag. Nitro fuel costs more, but flights are longer, you get that nice sound, but there is the dreaded cleanup after. Gas is less expensive for fuel, but good engines can cost a bit more, are more complex, they are hell on airframes, and they smell in the car and the garage. They do put out some torque and sound cool with the proper mufflers. Pick your pleasure/poison.

Gasser fans -- latest article on bad vibes in Model Airplane News is well done.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:53 AM
hsukaria

Originally Posted by Tony Iannucelli
Flying in Florida is a different situation than flying in colder climates. I recall when I lived north that we flew from maybe late April to Thanksgiving, about a 6-7 month flying season. The rest of the time was spent in the shop, building, covering, and otherwise maintaining. And the weather was always a factor, even in the summer. In Florida, and most other southern climates, a modeler's fleet generally gets used a lot more. Of course we have our share of guys that no longer fly or fly once a month. Their planes last a lot longer, their fuel costs are a lot lower, they don't worry about bad vibes in their airframes, and they never break props! The retired guys who fly regularly, 10-15 flights a week or more, spend a lot more money on their stuff and get a lot more air time. But as has been mentioned many times, it's a great hobby, and there's something for everyone. We fly nitro, electric, and gas. There are advantages and drawbacks to all. Electric is clean, but there are short flight times, and charging batteries gets to be a drag. Nitro fuel costs more, but flights are longer, you get that nice sound, but there is the dreaded cleanup after. Gas is less expensive for fuel, but good engines can cost a bit more, are more complex, they are hell on airframes, and they smell in the car and the garage. They do put out some torque and sound cool with the proper mufflers. Pick your pleasure/poison.

Gasser fans -- latest article on bad vibes in Model Airplane News is well done.
Agreed.

But now, gassers and glow are getting more overlapping characteristics. There are glow fuel engines modified with electronic spark ignition, smaller gasser(s) that use only a glowplug without on-board power. And, to cure the gasser vibes, a whole new rash of twin cylinger gasoline engines from 30cc on up that are super smooth. More choices and benefits, just supply the $$$$$$$$$$$$.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:46 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

I have a 40CC twin gasser from Valley View, and it's SO small, and light - you have to see this to believe it. It swings a 20 X 8 prop, too. The gassers are getting lighter and stronger. The spark plugs fail maybe a bit quicker than glow plugs, in my experience, but I have to admit, for anything large, these new gas engines just make sense, especially with the glow-fuel prices today.

~ Jim ~
Old 12-19-2013, 08:33 PM
mixerfix

Originally Posted by MTK
Me too. I migrated to gasoline going on 5 years now, and it's for keeps. I run mostly 30-60cc gassies. And my OS GT33 outperforms practically any glow engine in the 120 to 180 size. I'm running this engine where the Webra160 used to run. Gas engines in this size have come of age. The only "big block" glow engine I would consider is the yet to be released YS200 4 stroke.

But I have a couple small glow engines in the 0.4- 0.6 cuin area. Hard to beat their power with a gas engine in this displacement; just can't stuff enough oxygen in the really little gassies to make then perform. On rare occasions I also play with small electrics but I think I'm going to stop that. I just don't fly small electrics enough to keep the batteries in decent shape soo they die on the bench, so to speak. Except for the single cell ones such as the Night Vapor that my grandson loves to play with
My local (Israel) price for glow is between $25 for 5% and climbs from there. Making own is not an option - I would need a hazmat license. Buying 6-8 cell LiPo batteries in sufficient quantities is also not very economical...

So my Frenzy is now Moki 23cc gas and my Bigfoot is Moki 30cc. I can live with the smell of petrol - with a little care no smell escapes the tank. I am starting to look also at the smaller gas engines in the 15cc and below displacement, for some of the more day-use stuff...
Old 12-19-2013, 08:38 PM
mixerfix

The sad/shocking part is that my currently most used plane is an electric conversion of a sig tri-star with a nutty electric motor...

i can can just throw it in the car get to the abandoned road where we fly, pop it out and be in the air 5 minutes later. Also - simple trhrottle management, wot all the time...
Old 12-19-2013, 08:39 PM
drac1

Originally Posted by TexasSkyPilot
I have a 40CC twin gasser from Valley View, and it's SO small, and light - you have to see this to believe it. It swings a 20 X 8 prop, too. The gassers are getting lighter and stronger. The spark plugs fail maybe a bit quicker than glow plugs, in my experience, but I have to admit, for anything large, these new gas engines just make sense, especially with the glow-fuel prices today.

~ Jim ~
As a comparison, my YS 175cdi swings a 20.5 X 10 and consumes about half the fuel of the glow version. I run 10% oil and as a result there is very little oil to clean up.
I do have large gas engines and for the 50cc size and up, these are preferable. There is just as much clean up for these as my YS.
As for the cost of fuel, it's not really a big deal compared to what we spend on models and radios etc.
It costs me around $1.35 per flight and I fly up to 12 some days. That's about equivalent to a pack of cigarettes and I don't smoke. So I look at it as my smoke money. Lol.

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:53 PM
mixerfix

I had had a Moki 45cc glow I never dared run. Just thinking of hooking it to a fuel well made me shudder.

Originally Posted by Red Raider

Now the original question about large glow engines - I consider the 1.20AX to be large. But, the big Supertigre's, the Moki 1.8 and 2.1 are enormous both in size and fuel consumption. Having run all of the aforementioned engines, I can tell you that the flight times per ounce blow away the data that I stated above. My brother currently runs a Moki 1.80 on a large aerobatic plane. His 16 ounce tank is empty after a 6-7 minute flight. I get 2, 10 minute flights on my Giant Super Sportster with a 30cc gas (Syssa) and a 12 ounce fuel tank. And there's gas left in the tank. So there's one of my reasons for switching to gas. You can add to my reasons the cost of glow plugs, the necessary carb adjustments as temperature and humidity change and the often illusive reliable idle. Here's my number one reason - SAFETY - Have you ever been hit by a prop on a large glow engine when trying to start it on a cold morning?!?!?!?!?!? If you have, you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't, trust me, it's not an experience you want to repeat.

Will the large glow engines go the way of the dinosaur? I think not. Some people enjoy the glow engines and don't mind paying the fuel costs. That's part of what makes this hobby great; There's something for everyone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.