Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Super Tigre G-51 question

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 04:29 AM
ululi1970

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Super Tigre G-51 question

Hi all,
I made a stupid mistake reassembling the carb of a ST G-51, and ended up loosing the little O-ring on the HSN. For now, I just used a piece of fuel tubing over the brass knurled piece to minimize air leaks, but I would
rather have the thing fixed properly.

I would just buy the whole HSN replacement, but everybody seems to be out of stock. So I was wondering if anybody can tell me the dimensions of the o-ring, and I can order it from mcmaster-carr...
Thanks
Alberto
Old 01-20-2014, 08:12 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by ululi1970
Hi all,
I made a stupid mistake reassembling the carb of a ST G-51, and ended up loosing the little O-ring on the HSN. For now, I just used a piece of fuel tubing over the brass knurled piece to minimize air leaks, but I would
rather have the thing fixed properly.

I would just buy the whole HSN replacement, but everybody seems to be out of stock. So I was wondering if anybody can tell me the dimensions of the o-ring, and I can order it from mcmaster-carr...
Thanks
Alberto
My Italian made G51 doesn't have an O-ring on the main needle. There might be one on the low speed needle but if it's needed, take the carb to a mom and pop hardware store and use black rubber plumbing O-rings. The good shops have a big selection so you can stick one on, test fit, and try another if needed. It's ludicrous to buy O-rings any other way unless you can get them for $.05/ea. and free shipping. Even then it's still crazy.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:05 AM
ululi1970

I did stop by a hardware store which usually has a good selection of stuff but with no luck...
Old 01-21-2014, 06:12 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by ululi1970
I did stop by a hardware store which usually has a good selection of stuff but with no luck...
You might need to look around more. But more importantly, are you sure there was an o-ring on the main needle? I've had several ST carbs in my hands and none of them had O-rings on the big needle and 3 of 4 don't have o-rings on the idle mixture needle. The 4th engine I haven't had apart yet to know for sure.

edit: any seal on the main needle is only going to seal the fuel from leaking out, not air leaking in.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:43 AM
ululi1970

Look at the description here
http://www.advantagehobby.com/79541/...%3DSUP12163145

under the include tab. There is a spring behind the O-ring that pushes it towards the spraybar, where there is a small recess to house it. Instead of installing first the spring, then the O-ring, I did the opposite. So now the O-ring is jammed inside the brass piece, where it does nothing.
I flew it yesterday, and the fuel tubing seems to work. However, it makes it more difficult to turn it (and tune it)...
Old 01-21-2014, 12:14 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Two of my ST's have that exact needle and neither has an O-ring. If it were me, I'd pick the old O-ring out and forget about it. Unless it spews a ton of fuel out of the needle, I wouldn't mess with it. If it does leak, leave the fuel tubing on it. IMHO its not worth the time and money to find an O-ring. Just my opinion though.