Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

The future of Thunder Tiger

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:55 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The future of Thunder Tiger

I am a huge fan of all Thunder Tiger engines. I am also a supporter of Great Planes.
However I have to wonder if the two are parting ways. It seems the engines and parts have been "on order", "order pending" etc for quite a while.
I would also like to know about the GP18, brand new design and now its gone.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:59 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffie8696
I am a huge fan of all Thunder Tiger engines. I am also a supporter of Great Planes.
However I have to wonder if the two are parting ways. It seems the engines and parts have been "on order", "order pending" etc for quite a while.

Disappearing engines have likely lived out their live as a viable production item or a new item simply failed to make any impact on the market and was withdrawn..
Parts can only be obtained when the original manufacturer makes them available.
I like Enya engines .You can talk to the owner and get parts directly. A rare thing in these days of corporate giants.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:04 PM
jeffie8696

I agree, Ken is a great guy and Enya makes a great product however it is no longer a normal Hobby Store product.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:12 PM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff

Unfortunately for many brands of glow engines, they are or shortly will be 'no longer a normal Hobby Store product".

I am not saying this as a snide comment, more to point out that the retail market for glow engines is shrinkng.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:01 AM
Mr Cox

Originally Posted by jeffie8696
They failed pretty badly on that engine. They stated a weight that was wrong (much too low) and the power output was not much to talk about either, so granted everyone who got one was very disappointed. So without any good reviews from any users I guess they simply stopped making it...

The engine might not be totally bad, the design was similar to the .07GP, another heavy engine from them without much power in its stock form.
With honest and correct marketing they could have found some usage though, I think, as easy handling quiet running engines.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:34 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fiery
Jeff

Unfortunately for many brands of glow engines, they are or shortly will be 'no longer a normal Hobby Store product".

I am not saying this as a snide comment, more to point out that the retail market for glow engines is shrinkng.
That may not be for long.....at least not here in the states.

There's a "New Era" of American energy diplomacy now that Vladimir is acting up. There's an article in the New York Times (U.S. Hopes Boom in Natural Gas Can Curb Putin)

United States is the world’s largest natural gas producer. We've got a bunch of it and Methanol is made from Natural Gas. I wouldn't be surprised to see the price of glow fuel go down.

Last edited by Broken Wings; 03-07-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:22 AM
JPMacG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, methanol is the least expensive component of glow fuel. It is presently around $3 per gallon. Oil and nitromethane are the price drivers. But I think what may be happening now is that glow fuel suppliers are selling less fuel as modelers move away from glow engines. The glow fuel suppliers still have to pay rent, pay their employees, pay the utility bill, etc, so they have to raise their prices.

I can see the day coming when the fuel suppliers will go out of business and those who fly glow will all need to mix their own fuel. Methanol, nitromethane and oil have huge industrial uses and will continue to be available. It is not difficult at all to mix your own fuel.

I went to the Lebanon PA flea market yesterday. I saw enough used glow engines for sale to keep us all flying glow for several generations to come.

Last edited by JPMacG; 03-09-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 08:45 AM
dennis

I went to the Lebanon PA flea market yesterday. I saw enough used glow engines for sale to keep us all flying glow for several generations to come.

I was also there and concur that there were more used engines there that have been available for quite awhile. The tragedy is that as always about 75% of the engines were really a bad investment. It's incredible how badly people treat their engines. Perhaps that is why electric has such a hold. You really do not have to know anything other than how to plug the components together and how to turn operate the switch without screwing it up..
Also why would someone bring an engine in looking like it had been used in an explosive device and then say that it had hardly been used. Perhaps it is overdue to give intricate devices that require some level of intuitive knowledge the rest that they deserve.
And I agree that the prices of things like fuel and even props and glow plugs could become very expensive and difficult to obtain in a world that no longer embraces carbon burning engines.

Dennis
Old 03-09-2014, 08:58 AM
jeffie8696

Went to the Rockford IL swap meet yesterday with my buddy Bruce of brucercengines.com, he only sold one engine. 7 hours of driving for one engine is tough. I found some stuff I wanted but all in all it was a bust. I am glad I have all the engines I could need and if I do want something I can just get it from Bruce.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:38 AM
dennis

I think that the day of flea markets may be drawing to a close. Generally a lot of the items should be burned or given to someone as a lot of the stuff that I saw was at the junk level. Also it is much more convenient to order from the comfort of your own home or look for bargains on the classified forums or flea bay. At least you might get some redress if you get burned. Not so likely on a flea market purchase. They were really fun a long time ago when I was a lot younger and not so cynical.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:09 PM
jeffie8696

The Iowa City Aerohawks swap meet in Feb was sold out, over 113 tables and hundreds of attendees.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:17 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like swap meets. Something to do in the winter that is airplane related. I don't know if I will have a table again, I think I will just burn my planes, of try cartwheel landings when I get tired of them. Still like picking up stuff that other people give up on. I don't know why I am like that, it is the hobby I guess, bottom feeding.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:29 PM
jeffie8696

Darn that Daytona 500.
http://www.press-citizen.com/article...drenaline-rush
Old 03-10-2014, 01:30 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Cox
The engine might not be totally bad, the design was similar to the .07GP, another heavy engine from them without much power in its stock form. With honest and correct marketing they could have found some usage though, I think, as easy handling quiet running engines.
I think you're right about that, Mr. Cox. I heard from another that the engine was quite good as a sport engine, and would turn larger props with ease. Mated up with the right airframe and prop, probably would have been a really nice performer. There are a few bad engines out there. But I think a lot of times modelers might be expecting more out of an engine, not understanding the mechanics of the situation. An engine in a marginal application with the wrong prop will more than spell problems.

Case in point, not long ago I tried a 7x3 prop on an Enya .09-III TV on a sport plane. It flew very .049 like. Someone unfamiliar would conclude the engine was a poor performer. I switched to a Top Flite 7x6 wood, it became a totally different airplane with very good airspeed. Problem with the 7x3 is that I was outside the Enya's power curve. That engine has high torque and maximum horsepower at a lower RPM than the modern Schneurles. Then the engine's heavier weight redeemed itself by its strong running characteristics on a different prop.

I think it may be the issue with the TT GP-18. WIth the right prop might make that engine a really sweet performer on the right airplane.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:43 PM
dennis

I still have a NIB TT 18. Probably will get another 28. If your going to build a C/L twin you don't need high horsepower but the ability to generate thrust at a more sedate top end is really useful.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:57 PM
JPMacG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two 28s in a TwinStar. They have run flawlessly. I also have looked for but not found an 18. I just picked up a used OS 15LA instead.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:09 AM
thstjying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a huge fan of all Thunder Tiger engines.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:07 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

I've found TT's Magnum GP's to be nice engines, too, have their 15GP and 25GP. (Yes, they manufactured the Magnum for Global Hobby Distributors AKA Hobby Shack now Hobby People.)
Old 03-11-2014, 04:13 AM
Mr Cox

Originally Posted by thstjying
I am a huge fan of all Thunder Tiger engines.
Which ones do have?
Old 03-11-2014, 07:16 AM
jeffie8696

All my Thunder Tigers have been great engines too , I currently have a GP10,GP25,GP42,46PRO and 91 Four stroke.