Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Old OS FS 90 Carb. Initial Set up?

Old 02-25-2014, 12:05 AM
CLBetten
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old OS FS 90 Carb. Initial Set up?

I need to adjust the base setting on the idle mixture on a rear cam FS 90. There is an entire page in the manual I downloaded just for this but I don't understand it. It appears to me just studying the function and blowing through the fuel inlet that the idle mixture sleeve may need to be centered over the "cat eye"? I'm used to setting SuperTigres this way although the idle mixture needle is inside the spray bar rather than outside. I could use some help please.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:48 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

On the old O.S. FS-90 engine, there is no idle "needle". The idle mixture is controlled by a shaped port in the spraybar that gets opened and closed by a tube that slides over it. To get the idle mixture adjusted to a rough starting point, you must first open the throttle to full. Use a small screwdriver to adjust the idle mixture screw that's in the center of the throttle arm. Turning it clockwise will lean the mixture, turning it counter-clockwise will richen the mixture. Look into the venturi when the throttle is fully-opened. Turn the idle mixture screw clockwise until you see a shoulder start to protrude from the side of the carburetor barrel. This is on the same side as the mixture screw. When you see the shoulder emerge from the side of the venturi, turn the screw counter-clockwise until it is flush with the side of the venturi. This is the starting point. From there, you will adjust the mixture as needed, rich or lean, to get the desired idle and transition performance you desire.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:31 PM
CLBetten
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Bill. I had it terribly out of spec. It runs absolutely wonderful now. I didn't have to change the idle screw at all after the initial setting. I couldn't be more pleased. Thanks, Cliff.