Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Four Stroke Valve Train Lubrication

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 07:43 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would just pull the valve cover off and apply a little oil to the top end every now and then. Especially when you are checking the valve gap from time to time like you are supposed to do.

Originally Posted by Bill Adair
Lots of talent on this forum, and I wouldn't be surprised if many of you are also into target shooting, and reloading?
Bill
Yeah been there and done that too. I used to be really big into target shooting, etc. The last gunsmithing project I did was to convert a old Arisaka action over to a varmint rifle. I restocked and rebarreled it for the .22-250 Ackley Improved cartridge. That gave it around the same speeds that the old .220 Swift did. Plus you could use and fire form .22-250 cartridges in it in a pinch too. Handy for if you ran out of the reloads and that was what you got from the gun store. I have been meaning to put a nice double set trigger on it, as I have the trigger, I just never got around to finishing it. The current atmosphere about shooting animals, even varmints sort of put me off. It is not easy to shoot a little tiny varmint way out at 300 to 400 yards away with a breeze, The thick target barrel was a customer reject as it was something like two hundreths of a inch too small in diameter and it was easy to rechamber it of course. The last time I took it to the gun range, I shot a ten round group into a single ragged hole at 100 yards, so I figure it is a good one.

Last edited by earlwb; 04-02-2014 at 07:47 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 04-02-2014, 02:49 PM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You certainly know your stuff earl.I had the metric equivalent 5.5x57mm on a mauser 98 action,the smaller brother of the 7x57.

ps the arisaka action was known to be good value and strong.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:27 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

$134,000 for 4 bikes? Yikes. Kinda reminds me of the story or rumor of 4 handbuilt Honda Accords.

I got my first 91 about a year ago from a guy in the Marketplace. It came better than advertised and runs smoother than I could probably ever tune it myself. It is just a very nice engine. It's going in a Ultra Sport 60.

I need to start up in shot shell reloading. I sold my rifle/handgun reloading equipment years ago when I thought I was out of it. That was before buying a Taurus Judge. The .410 personal defense rounds are fascinating, and reloading gives endless options from hallway sweepers to tight groups. Right now, I'm buying Federal 000 buckshot rounds that hold tight out to about 30 feet. It's kinda funny watching the wife hold a gun that is bigger than both of her hands but she likes shooting it. She is the one who insisted on the the Crimson Trace laser sights.

Yep, nice rifle there Earl. I always wanted a .220 Swift. I've got a .22 Hornet now. Not nearly as nice as yours. The cartridge is losing popularity.

Last edited by blw; 04-03-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:55 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Barry, just one more MC post, if I could afford it I'd buy this one called a Dirico built by Steven Tyler"s brother in law. 110 cu in Harley engine 7 speed Baker tranny, yes 7 speed. I love the look.

It looks like we're about out of oiling ideas for fourstrokes. Early on I used STP Power Steering fuid, used it all up and now use NAPA PSF for the rockers..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DIRICO_SPEEDSTER_XL2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	1983673  
Old 04-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Bill Adair
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hobbsy,

I agree, that OS 26SF is a lovely little engine. I'm tempted to mount it and give it a long awaited run one of these days.

My fascination with engines also began on the farm. Dug an old Fairbanks Morris hit-and-miss engine out of the mud near the barn, and carefully cleaned and oiled that rusty hulk. Finally got it running! Came home from school one day, and found some junk dealer had visited the farm, and my toy engine was gone! My grandfather felt so bad about selling that engine, that he ordered a new Cub .049 original from AHC. Unfortunately, I never got the Cub running, as we used Kerosene for cooking and lights, so there were no batteries, or fuel available to me. I think I wore that poor Cub out just flipping the prop!

My current interest is model airplane diesel engines, and I'm just breaking in a new PAW 55 at our flying field. (Can't run engines in our condo area because of the noise.) The neighbors don't complain about the trains that pass a block away, but would probably scream their fool heads off if I started any of my engines on our back deck. <G>

Bill
Old 04-03-2014, 07:08 PM
blw

Bill, I try to be considerate, but their lawn mowers, weedeaters, and motorcycles are just as loud...if not louder. I know what you mean if they are close, etc. i run engines during the day since I'm retired.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Bill Adair

I also try to be considerate of the neighbors, but most of them are older folks like myself, who aren't happy unless they have something to keep them occupied. <G>

My diesel engines are not very noisy, but the smell of Kerosene burning is pretty strong. I'm surprised they haven't complained about the odor when I mix my fuel in the garage.

Bill
Old 04-04-2014, 04:09 AM
Hobbsy

Bill, I also had a Fairbanks Morse engine, mine was not a hit and miss but had a fly ball governor and a butterfly carb. To show how far engines have come. it was 200 cubic inches and had a whole 3.5hp.@310 rpm. I too am a Diesel nut have about 20 Davis Diesel heads the newest one being an LA .65.

I still run the stock pipes on my Sporty, I don't like loud, hours of that on a bike gives one a headache. Most of my lawn equipment is TroyBilt, all Briggs and Stratton engine except for a Stihl weed wacker and a Poulan chainsaw. My TroyBilt emergency generator has a Briggs and Stratton engine with all ball and roller bearings.

My largest Diesel is a SuperTigre 4500 and the smallest is a Fox .15.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:20 AM
Rudolph Hart

Bill i've never met anyone yet who had a good smell of diesel with some ether and said they did'nt like it.

Dave your harley has that much torque that you would like seven speeds in the gearbox,three would be enough

Barry the taurus 357 was really surpising,i'd only heard of them as a cheap south american or spanish knock off of a k frame s and w.Very accurate out to a hundred and very comfortable to shoot.The various 410 loads sound interesting out of a handgun.We used to use the 410 for short range quail shooting.12 gauge handguns are'nt very comfortable.Sorry to hear that the 22 hornet is not that popular over your way now.Very mild report and handy out to about 150 on small things.Funny how these modern people happily go to a supermarket and buy a dead plastic wrapped chook so full of steriods that they had to wrap it in plastic just to keep the damn thing still after it was dead.Makes eating road kill look healthy.cheers
Old 04-04-2014, 01:30 PM
earlwb

The .22 long rifle rimfire cartridge is quite popular over here as is the .22 magnum rimfire cartridge too. As a kid I used to do a lot of rabbit hunting using a old Winchester .22 single shot rifle. The .22 Hornet sort of fell out of favor due to cost mostly. Especially for kids going to the store to get ammo to shoot. I remember being able to buy .22 or shotgun ammo at the corner convenience stores way back then. This was a long time ago as a kid though. If I remember right it was like around $0.69 US for a box of 50 .22 LR's. I remember being low of cash and getting .22 Shorts to go shoot too, those were like $0.45 US a box of 50. We used to love getting the mini-mag 22's when they came out as they had a little more velocity to them. But still today if you go to the store they usually have a lot of boxes of .22's to sell. But .22 Hornets aren't on the shelf.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Bill Adair

Hobbsy;

Most of my diesel engines are small, with the largest one being a PAW 2.49cc, and the smallest a PAW 55.

We have a great tractor show here known locally as the "Steam up", and it's less than an hour south of Portland. I love to attend when I can, because they have an amazing collection of tractors, trucks, stationary engines, and even model engines. Spending a day there is like going back in time, and I see beautiful restored examples of all the stationary engines and tractors I've ever seen. I hope to go again this year, and take more pictures of the things that interest me, and that is just about everything with a piston and cylinder! They have great fairground snack food stands, and some of the best sausage and kraut I've ever had. It's a permanent show site, so the really big industrial and farm engines that are difficult to transport stay there year round, in enclosed buildings. Here is a link if you would like to look around.

http://www.antiquepowerland.com/html/steam-up.html

Bill
Old 04-06-2014, 07:22 PM
Bill Adair

Earlwb,

Must have something to do with the "don't mess with Texas" motto I've seen displayed there! Most of our retailers here have NO 22 rimfire ammo on the shelves! People are hoarding so much that manufacturers can't keep up with demand! I was told by a local chain store clerk to come in on the day of the week that they get deliveries, but come early, and don't plan on buying more than the maximum allowed (two boxes of 50 rounds)! It's absolutely crazy, and I'm sure glad I have plenty on hand, as I always bought it by the brick when I was shooting regularly.

Old Fart,

Diesel fuel is like perfume to me, but not everyone grew up with a Kerosene drum in the basement like I did. Kerosene stove, lamps, and even fuel for my Model A Ford when I didn't have money for gas. <G>

It must be the Ether I like most, but the exhaust fumes smell mostly like Kerosene, and Castor oil. The standard answers I get from the glow engine fans here, is that diesel engines stink! I love that smell myself, and love to run my diesels just for amusement at times.

Bill
Old 04-06-2014, 07:43 PM
blw

Old Fart- I looked at info until my eyes crossed and maybe Taurus did have some QC problems early on. I got mine around Christmas time and no complaints. Taurus had a hit and didn't realize it the first couple of years. There were some early claims that .410 shells out of short barrels weren't lethal enough, but the handgun personal defense shells now are deadly.

Earl- I think CCI came out with the minimags in the early 70's in the orange boxes. I don't have problems finding .22 Hornet bullets, but the price spiked like everything else. We got a Gander Mountain store last year, and there's enough guns and ammo in that one store to defend Alabama, Georgia, and half of Florida

You're right about road kill tasting better than some of the stuff that's chemical injected and fed. I was given an Amish all natural turkey as a gift at Thanksgiving that was the best I ever smoked. I'm a believer now.

Last edited by blw; 04-06-2014 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:58 PM
Bill Adair

Originally Posted by blw
Old Fart- I looked at info until my eyes crossed and maybe Taurus did have some QC problems early on.
The early Taurus 9mm Millennium compact (model PT 111) had serious problems, with a rather long unsupported firing pin. Fortunately, I got mine after the problems had been identified, and avoided it by making sure the firing pin was always kept well lubed with gun grease. Mine has never failed, and has hundreds of rounds through it. Later versions added another support bushing at the back end of the firing pin, and eliminated that problem completely. I'd buy another one, if I can ever wear this one out!

My nephew had a Taurus .357 (model 66) revolver that sprayed bullets all over the place, but he couldn't be bothered to send it back for warrantee repairs, so his wife fixed it herself by pounding it into pieces with a big hammer one night, when he came home drunk once too often. <G>

The Judge is an interesting concept, but I'm curious about the difference in stopping power between a good self defense load, and a 410 slug? Is it worth packing the extra length of the cylinder?

Bill
Old 04-07-2014, 03:55 AM
earlwb

I really enjoy the smell of model diesel fuel with the kerosene, ether and oil combination. It even beats out the glow fuel and castor oil smell in my opinion, but it is a good smell too.

When I was a kid we lived in Arizona. This was way back in the late 1950's and through the 1960's. I used to be able to get home after school. Grab my rifle and cartridges and head out into the desert for a little hunting most every day. The corner convenience store had a wood and glass display cabinet with Remington or Winchester .22 cartridges in it. They had the .22 shorts, .22 longs and .22 long rifle and .22 magnum sizes for sale in neat little stacks of boxes in the cabinet next to the cash register. For Dove season, they would have the classic pyramid display out on the floor with the shot gun shells in boxes of various calibers shown. The CCI Mini-mags were first sold in 1962.

When I last went back to Arizona, those local hunting grounds are all gone and built up now with houses and strip shopping centers, et cetera. Heck as I got older and more interest in motorcycles evolved, I found that all of my old motorcycle dirt bike riding areas are all built up now too.

Last edited by earlwb; 04-07-2014 at 04:03 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 04-07-2014, 03:59 AM
Hobbsy

Bill, here is my older high compression Saito .80 turning a Graupner 13x5x8 at about 8,772 rpm. It does so with no help whatsoever, in fact the glow plug has no element in it

PS, correction, that would be a BOLLY ClubMan 13.5x8.

The largest steam traction engine I've seen was a 120 HP Case. The owner said it cost him a minimum of $1,000.00 to move it due to all the permits, fuel, etc.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito 80 on Diesel 006 (Small).jpg
Views:	39
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1984932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito 80 on Diesel 007 (Small).jpg
Views:	46
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1984933  

Last edited by Hobbsy; 04-07-2014 at 04:06 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:10 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey guys, I'm coming here to the guys that know what 4-strokes are all about because I think I might be developing an issue (kinda like the flu but not catching, I hope) with my OS 26FS. Ancient engine, been running on my Butterfly since Noah built boats. Yesterday I had it out (long enough that I had to change-out the onboard radio batteries) and noticed that at full throttle she's no longer putting out the power she's always had. She still running good, just not top-shelf like I'm used to.

Now, I know 2-strokes - been playing with them since I was 7 (many, many decades ago). But 4-strokes, I know NOTHING! Where do I start?
Old 04-07-2014, 06:52 AM
earlwb

The very first thing to check is the valve gap and adjust to spec. People fail to check the valve gap from time to time. It does need to be re-gapped from time to time.
As the engine wears the gaps change causing performance changes of course.

If the glow plug has been in there a long time, it may need a new one too as the platinum will deteriorate as it gets coated over diminishing its effect on the glow fuel.

Now if that engine has had a lot of hours on it, it may need a new piston ring and a little decarbonizing to remove the carbon build up that happens over time. But you are talking about a lot of time on the engine like that. The valves may need a little reseating to in this case.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:38 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

The smell of a diesel running reminds me of the Saturday mornings growing up where my dad and I went and sat watching planes take off at the MSP airport. It is a smell that hangs with you for awhile, but I personally don't find it too offensive.

I've been a carpenter for 14 years and dealing all sorts of species of wood both domestic and exotic, the worst is Australian Cypress. It has a smell like Cedar but after several hours of working with it, the smell gets in your clothes worse than cigarette smoke. Beautiful wood, horribly smelly.

Theres my only off topic post.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:43 AM
blw

You're doing pretty good if that is your off topic comment, Tim! I've got my mothers cedar hope chest. It does have a smell.

Bill, the last time I looked the .410 slug did poorly in gel penetration probably due to the rifling. The personal defense disks and buckshot were getting to the 10" range with 3" shells. There are hundreds of Judge videos on Youtube showing various targets and loads. A major consideration for home and carry was something my wife would take to. She likes it since she knows that it may not be lethal on the first shot. Then again, she insisted we pay the extra bucks for the laser sights. Go figure.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:50 PM
earlwb

I think my only complaint about diesel fuel was that the kerosene tends to soak into the skin and it doesn't wash off, you have to wear it off.

I was always impressed with the Judge, but I still prefer my .357 S&W magnum revolver though. I do remember as a kid, us shooting .45 long colt cartridges out of a .410 shotgun at the time. It was a lot of fun though. But the main home defense gun is my Remington 870 twelve gauge pump with 3 inch magnum buck shot shells. I need to check my .357 again, I had the special Trijicon night sights installed on it from when I was doing police work a number of years ago. They might not be glowing in the dark anymore. I even had the barrel magnaported too. Dang, I just checked, I'll need to get new night sights as they don't glow in the dark anymore.

Last edited by earlwb; 04-07-2014 at 05:46 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 04-07-2014, 05:38 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

if your OS 26 is still less than perky after a valve adjust check the exhaust valve for carbon buildup..they of become heavily clogged with carbon especially if you have run castor oil type fuel blends, i have repaired many that had no compression and when checking compression the exhaust valve was kept from seating by the carbon on the backside of the valve head
Old 04-07-2014, 06:23 PM
earlwb

The little OS FS26 engines are so cute. Over the years I wound up with two of them and I put them on a twin engine plane, jut because I could. They work quite well on the plane too.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:49 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Y'all are gun buffs it seems. Anyone know where I can get ammo for these guns? #1 is model 1891 Mauser made for the Argentine Army. Not sure on year of manufacture but the serial #s all match except for the clip. #4945 is stamped on the action, stock, etc. #2 is a 1916 Mauser Geweir 98 (Gew 98 or G98 are common names for this iconic and now common rifle) with serial number 1231 on all parts. No clip on this one, No Bayonette mounts,!or Bayonettes on these, and they're both in the 7mm family. Although I've found them to be a non standard caliber based on my internet searches. Neither will shoot the same ammo I believe.

Alright, 2 off topic posts. My bad. My Browning hump-back 16ga semi auto and the poor Mossberg .22LR semi auto want to go shooting with their Mauser buddies but without ammo it just ain't worth it. The Browning is my baby.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:39 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
The smell of a diesel running reminds me of the Saturday mornings growing up where my dad and I went and sat watching planes take off at the MSP airport. It is a smell that hangs with you for awhile, but I personally don't find it too offensive.

I've been a carpenter for 14 years and dealing all sorts of species of wood both domestic and exotic, the worst is Australian Cypress. It has a smell like Cedar but after several hours of working with it, the smell gets in your clothes worse than cigarette smoke. Beautiful wood, horribly smelly.

Theres my only off topic post.
We must ALL have something in common.I'm an australian.My dad was a lifelong traditional carpenter.Plus i smoke and i stink.

Brownings were held in high regard back then my uncle roy used to shoot ducks and canadian geese with an a5 humpback,i never liked the sight picture.His daughter judith had a slick slideaction browning 22 that was a joy to carry and shoot.Earl has described how poor you could be back then and just buy cheaper short rifle ammo I still miss the smell and feel of soft cardboard boxes.The early seventies was a time when manufacturers took a few liberties when it came to advertising over here.We had cci minimags,zappers,magnums etc all claiming higher velocities but not many users thought about projectile weight.It's why i like the hornet so much.

Don't worry to much about night sights earl.Just creep forward left hand out till you feel something unfriendly

Ps 1qwk in mauser 8mm there were two different rounds that would both chamber in the smaller bore action think it was an 8x by something s or j??

Last edited by Rudolph Hart; 04-08-2014 at 01:45 AM. Reason: little bit more bs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.