Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Saito 72 without battery dies instantly

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito 72 without battery dies instantly

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 04:06 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I learned something! When my engine won't idle with new fuel & glow plug I will know my bearings are bad and that new bearings will fix it.

Sometimes I notice smoke towards the propeller, this sometimes happens to me from time to time if the engine fires and tries running backwards. It's amazing when it fires and runs in the proper direction I don't see any smoke towards the propeller. Huh. I wonder if my new bearings are bad since I had this happen just this afternoon. Huh. Goes to show what I know (and consequently don't know).
Old 05-13-2014, 06:56 PM
wjvail
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Old Fart
I think you've answered your own question...if people who don't know much about engines are worried...
Wait. What? Is that addressed to me? I didn't ask a question. I thought I was answering one.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:33 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No offence intended here but you are not.The op clearly says that he can hear stuff rattling around in his engine if he gives it a shake.Get over yourself and read what he is clearly saying,over here we call them tasmanians

ps disclaimer!!! the reference to any other state in australia is purely for fictional and drama effect and should not in any way be taken as littoral
Old 05-14-2014, 04:41 AM
a@l

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear bearing has high rolling resistance. I ordered new pair http://www.rcbearings.com/products/s...-bearings.html
Old 05-14-2014, 05:01 AM
Rudolph Hart

Good news what brand where you are? if you need some help with changing the bearings there are plenty of people here to give you a good link to a vid or help in other ways.Good luck
Old 05-14-2014, 05:04 AM
Rudolph Hart

Sorry mate just looked at the link you posted.,If you don't run more than 30% nitro feel free to pop the inside seal off one side of the new front bearing
Old 05-14-2014, 05:10 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Personally, I'd pop the outside seal off since I have a few brands that come from the factory sans outside seal.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fox Bearings 003 (Small).jpg
Views:	37
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	1995252  
Old 05-14-2014, 05:17 AM
Rudolph Hart

Yeah but you like harleys
Old 05-14-2014, 05:36 AM
a@l

Old Fart: Thanks to you and others here in the forum, I got a lot of good tips and hints.
Based on the Youtube movies I already removed the bearings. I am now waiting to supply bearings.
What's the point to remove outside seal?
Old 05-14-2014, 05:53 AM
wjvail

No offence intended here but you are not.The op clearly says that he can hear stuff rattling around in his engine if he gives it a shake.Get over yourself and read what he is clearly saying,over here we call them tasmanians
I really must be reading this wrong. I do take offence. I must be reading the tone of your post wrong.

I clearly told him to change the bearings.

What I'm I missing? Why are you speaking to me this way?
Old 05-14-2014, 06:35 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by a@l
Old Fart: Thanks to you and others here in the forum, I got a lot of good tips and hints.
Based on the Youtube movies I already removed the bearings. I am now waiting to supply bearings.
What's the point to remove outside seal?
Remove the outside seal?...it's probably like riding a harley backwards hobbsy should answer that,bet he can give you a vivid description eh dave...
Old 05-14-2014, 06:54 AM
Hobbsy

Well Pete, since Fox, MVVS, OPS, MOKI and a couple of others do it's an OK thing to do. I asked Melvin at Fox a long time ago and he said it keeps the bearing cleaner and cooler and dryer. Here's a whole gang of them like that The one with the gold looking bearing is a MOKI .61 LS.

PS, on the 25th I'm riding my Harley to western Pa., 370 miles each way or about 6.5 hours. My brother is riding his, 2009 Dyna Glide Custom, from Columbia, Mo. to San Diego, Calif. and then from there to the Vietnam Memorial, then to my house and we're going to Pa. together. We'll change his oil here and head out.

Name:	Front bearings (Small).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1995261  

Last edited by Hobbsy; 05-14-2014 at 06:58 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:39 AM
MinnSpin
My Feedback: (40)

Bearings with rust will have a significant impact on the motors ability to maintain enough heat during the combustion cycle.

Oh, was this mentioned already?

Good, then it must be the right answer.

Last edited by MinnSpin; 05-14-2014 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Polictal correctness.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:03 PM
Hobbsy

I'd be interested in how a rusty bearing could effect combustion chamber temperature, that's pretty far fetched..
Old 05-14-2014, 04:14 PM
Uncas
My Feedback: (1)

a@l
I had the same problem with a Saito .82. I just needed to lean the low needle beyond where I thought it should be and things were good. I was very close to buying an on board glow but people on the the forum set me straight. New bearings are always good.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Uncas; 05-14-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-14-2014, 05:09 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
I'd be interested in how a rusty bearing could effect combustion chamber temperature, that's pretty far fetched..
+1 to this. I wasn't going to be the first to comment on it though.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:20 PM
AERORICH73

Ok, I am not a four stoke engine guy, but the thought came to me to ask if the engine was installed in the upright position in the last plane, and now is being started in the upside down position. I sense that you have adjusted the needle valves correctly, and the engine starts on the prime, but stops when it is used up. This may be a tank, or fuel line problem. Invert the engine, and check for fuel being sucked to the carb when having the carb intake plugged off with a finger. No, not when the glow plug is lit. If you see fuel to the carb, I would suspect the engine should run. If not, check out the fuel plumbing in the carb for fuel to get to the carb from the needle valve.

Get back to me if you have further questions. [email protected]
Old 05-15-2014, 12:47 AM
a@l

Thank you for your message. At this moment I do not intend to return in engine two really defective bearings. Internal bearing has a very large tolerance - inner circle bounce when you shake bearing. The second bearing is rotating hard. These two reasons are likely to have idle without battery at 4000 + RPM.
I'm sure I destroyed practically new engine with the old decomposed syntetic fuel, which was in the crankshaft for few years. I'll report back when new bearings arrive.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:58 AM
Rudolph Hart

When you run the engine again it should perform much better,easier tuning too.If you plan on not running the engine for a week or more it's a good idea to pump some after run oil into the crankcase and spin the engine over with a starter for about five seconds.I use automatic transmission fluid.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:09 AM
Rudolph Hart

Originally Posted by Hobbsy
Well Pete, since Fox, MVVS, OPS, MOKI and a couple of others do it's an OK thing to do. I asked Melvin at Fox a long time ago and he said it keeps the bearing cleaner and cooler and dryer. Here's a whole gang of them like that The one with the gold looking bearing is a MOKI .61 LS.

PS, on the 25th I'm riding my Harley to western Pa., 370 miles each way or about 6.5 hours. My brother is riding his, 2009 Dyna Glide Custom, from Columbia, Mo. to San Diego, Calif. and then from there to the Vietnam Memorial, then to my house and we're going to Pa. together. We'll change his oil here and head out.
Dave i think minnspin is having a leg pull

Time to fess up...the reason i poke fun at harleys is that i like ducati's,no just kidding.I work on harleys every day.We have a custom paint shop and do a lot of special effects colours to a lot of different harleys,lately we've had non stop baggers (like a full dresser but lower at the back and 30" front wheels,custom stereos and some serious engine tuning etc) so i feel i have some qualificationsto base my jokes on.Sounds like a decent ride,just long enough to stretch the legs.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:31 AM
Hobbsy

My first ridin buddy when I was 18 had a Ducati 200 single with Desmo valve actuators. That thing rattled more than a MACK 711. but it was great bike.A friend of our sons is supposed to bring a Ducati twin here for me to reassemble, does a 1,000 sound right?mY Sporty has a 21 inch front wheel which wears a Michelin Commander.

Have you ever painted a Harley this color combination.

When you think about the removal of the front seal it's not the bad thing many think. Since oil is seeping out and centrifugal force is moving everything away, the bearings stay clean and shiny as you see in the pictures.The old Tiger 60 is one of my favorites to fly, when you get ready to land you simply pull the throttle back, make you final turn and it simply glides down to the runway.

Name:	Harley Greens (Small).jpg
Views:	33
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1995471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bike tire done (Small).jpg
Views:	24
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1995473   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito .80 & Tiger 60.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	1995474  

Last edited by Hobbsy; 05-15-2014 at 03:37 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:49 AM
Rudolph Hart

Nice turbo header on the gk.No we don't get that colour scheme over here,the light green insert colour on your tank and fenders i make here as a light jewel green pearl,nice paint job.

We taxi on sandy grass here so usually pop the back seal out.

If you need a manual for ducati i think i can give you a download pdf link.

ps you can;t beat the sound of a desmo v twin and a dry clutch,sounds like someone shaking a tin of loose nuts and bolts about.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:51 PM
blw

Not long ago I looked in the rear view mirror as I was speeding along pretty good and saw a pair coming up on me FAST. It was a pair of Ninjas being pushed to the limit and they were there, here, and gone in a flash. Loved the sound. Those guys were crazy and I wish I was on a third bike with them.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:00 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by blw
Not long ago I looked in the rear view mirror as I was speeding along pretty good and saw a pair coming up on me FAST. It was a pair of Ninjas being pushed to the limit and they were there, here, and gone in a flash. Loved the sound. Those guys were crazy and I wish I was on a third bike with them.
I raced against a pair of Kawasaki Ninja 750's awhile back when I had my Suzuki Katana 750. I was bangin gears at 16,500rpm while they were staring at the sky. My bike was easily 30-40hp less than theirs but my bike's weight advantage won me many races. I would love to get my hands on a new GSXR 600....

There's my only worthwhile off-topic motorbike tie-in.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:49 AM
wjvail

I went for a ride today. First time in a while I've had the GSX-R out. Every time I ride that bike I'm reminded what a joy it is. It just does everything completely effortlessly. It is a device that just wants to GO!

Bill

Name:	IMG_0381.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	464.4 KB
ID:	1995684  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.