Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Saito FA-180 CDI Compression Ratio & Induction Modification Performance Gains

Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Saito FA-180 CDI Compression Ratio & Induction Modification Performance Gains

Old 07-19-2016, 03:23 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

No need to yell, everything Dan said is based on the fact that our engines already run at or very near their peak/limit of reliability rpm. This DOHC 1.20 four valve Conley turns a 14x6 @ 12,181 rpm. It won't touch a 15x8 without overheating and knocking. It's not a very practical engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Conley 1.20.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	2173554  
Old 07-19-2016, 07:38 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think he just got his fonts sized incorrectly, Dave. Otherwise, that yelling sounds like my first wife.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:28 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by the Wasp
to each his own I guess, besides, I was not suggesting that we all start ordering cams that are ground 50, 60 or 70 degrees over stock numbers.

if you back up your statement about "cam aggressiveness" by posting duration numbers at .006" Lift and .050" Lift you would then have told me something

BTW, unless these stock cams are more aggressive than I believe they are, increasing the intake's rocker arm ratio by 1.00 will only change the intake valve's duration by 2 or 3 degrees IF that, hardly much to boast or complain about, yet will increase the idle's smoothness without raising the idle's RPM much at all, as well as producing more power throughout the powerband.. increasing the exhaust's rocker arm ratio will suffer low end torque some

like I said, to each his own
Specifying cam duration at .050" lift would erase about 30% of the duration on these engines.

Our engines already turn more RPM than what would allow the utmost efficiency from the practical propeller sizes.

As far as lobe specifications? Having seen a lot of cam lobe profiles on street practical automotive cams, the Saito big block cam has a rather broad nose on the lobe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Sbz2Etl_A
Old 07-19-2016, 05:15 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

specifying cam duration at .050" lift will not "erase" anything, yet specifying cam duration at .200" lift along with .004" and .050" will tell us more

"the Saito big block cam has a rather broad nose on the lobe".

you can get a broader lobe nose with less lift on a cam, and then use higher ratio rocker arms to get the lift you desire, these types cams are easy on the cam followers (lifters) and pushrods

"This DOHC 1.20 four valve Conley turns a 14x6 @ 12,181 rpm"

and what does an OS 120 turn at with the "same" prop, maybe one could say the Conley has a more aggressive cam than the OS, maybe

umm, 4 four valves, why 4, could 4 valves flow more fuel/air than only 2 valves

there is always room for more modification

Last edited by the Wasp; 07-19-2016 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:04 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Four valves are a plus not necessarily because of increased cross section but more because two smaller columns of air/fuel and exhaust are easier to accelerate from a standstill. Getting fuel/air mixture flowing sooner is a big plus. Airflow velocity, in fps, is faster in the smaller passages,increasing the ram tuning effect. That barely skims the surface but presents the idea.