Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Enya .80 Four Stroke

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 07:38 AM
JollyPopper
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enya .80 Four Stroke

A friend picked up a used Enya .80 four stroke engine and I have a couple questions about it. What glow plug works best in them and where should the air bleed needle be set initially with regard to the hole/slot? OS engines with air bleed carbs have a hole and if you start with the air bleed needle just half way across that hole, the engine will run. The Enya engine has a slot, about 1/8 inch long, and I am not sure where to start with the needle. in other words, how much of the slot should the needle cover?
Old 05-20-2014, 10:53 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tend to use Fox Miracle Glow plugs in my four stroke engines. But the OS F plug is another one other people use too. Some other brands have four stroke engine glow plugs too. Enya makes a good four stroke plug, but you have to use a Enya glow plug cap for it as the Enya plugs have a larger size top cap on them that may not fit well with the remote glow ignitors. Since the glow plug faces forward, you cannot just stick a glow ignitor on it as it winds up hitting the propeller.

The idle mixture screw setting is normally one full turn out from closed. Screwing it in richens the mixture and screwing out leans it out. The engines do tend to idle on the rich side some, so trying to lean it out doesn't work well. I have seen folks with the idle mixture screw unscrewed until it is about to fall out on them. It doesn't need to be that far out.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:25 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I use Enya #3 plugs only in my Enya 4-cycles on 5-10% nitro fuel. Air bleed is set halfway open initially. With muffler pressure you can run a slightly leaner idle mixture. The .60 and .80's like a pretty rich idle mixture if using a vented tank only.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:45 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Here is a nice test of the Enya .80, unless I messed it the test does not mention the airbleed setting. Sometimes I'm not as observatary as I'd like to be.

http://sceptreflight.net/Model%20Eng...a%2080-4C.html
Old 05-21-2014, 06:33 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
I use Enya #3 plugs only in my Enya 4-cycles on 5-10% nitro fuel. Air bleed is set halfway open initially. With muffler pressure you can run a slightly leaner idle mixture. The .60 and .80's like a pretty rich idle mixture if using a vented tank only.
The nail has been firmly hit. I ran my Enya 80 with pretty much the same setup. Quite reliable but a bit boring on the power scale.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:51 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
The nail has been firmly hit. I ran my Enya 80 with pretty much the same setup. Quite reliable but a bit boring on the power scale.
Compared to today's offerings they may be a little underpowered. But as you say, they are very reliable. They have no qualms revving to 12,000rpm (13,000 is the "critical rpm limit") which is a good bit higher than almost any other 4-stroke on the market even today. I've lugged my .60 down with big props but the carburetor reversion is horrible. Letting it rev up made the reversion almost go away completely.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:35 AM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

1Q, I got stomped pretty good a few years ago for saying that my old Enya .46 MKII needed to rev higher than a 12x6 would allow for the very reason you stated. You could actually run the HS needle a half turn leaner using a 12x5 Graupner. My thinking was that the airflow velocity was too slow with the 12x6 and its lower revs. Some poo poo'd that idea big time.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Enya .46 Mkii Valves 005 (Small).jpg
Views:	31
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	1997358  
Old 05-22-2014, 07:40 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Yeah, I don't doubt that. I've heard it many times 'Enyas like to rev' and the 4-strokes are no exception. My R120 has horrible reversion on anything bigger than a 13x8. I'm sure there are some that think I'm nuts for running a prop that small on a 1.20 4-stroke, but if it were in a plane I'd have a fuselage that would be so saturated with fuel/oil that I'd have to junk the plane after only a few outings if even that. There had been many instances where more fuel came spitting from the carb than oil from the crankcase. I've been running a 13x7 on my R120 at about 11,500rpm and it's cleaner than it was on a 14x6 but it still makes a mess. Let 'em rev!