Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

The end of small glow engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 02:48 PM
Axle Al
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=fizzwater2;11832837]I've seen some mighty impressive electric airplanes. Large scale planes, pattern planes, etc.

However, they just don't do it for me, in spite of the advancements in electric power since the advent of the LiPo, brushless motors, etc.

And I'm an electrical engineer - maybe after spending all day dabbling in electronic stuff, it just doesn't appeal to me to do more of it for a hobby.

"Nelson" .40 size race engines are still available. Aero Racing engines ( http://aeroracingengines.com/ ) yea thats the place making nelson
Old 06-30-2014, 02:54 PM
bjr_93tz

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

F3A probably isn't exctly comparing apples with apples.

Power is secondary to flexibility, and impression. Any manufacture could bring out a nitro 2-stroke that'd rip the front end out of any F3A ship and be lighter than what we have now but it'd lack the flexibility, flyability and in general look and sound bad in the air.

It's horses for courses in this hobby, pick which power source suits the application (be thankfull we have so many options) and run with it.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:01 PM
Axle Al

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Yes, Sport Pilot, variable timing on the ignition is possible. CDI is a better solution for that though, as the ignition timing can be precisely controlled. Our glow plug ignitions all are running significantly more advanced than they should be for max power. That is done to give us reliable idles and strong transitions. Axel Al had mentioned in a previous post about variable valve timing for glow engines, which is what I was responding to. You can't have VVT when you don't have any valves.

On the racing engine comment you made, I guess you're talking about the Jett engines and others like them? I have no experience with them so I can't make a comparison, so maybe they do still outrun their electric counterparts. At the same time though, there aren't a whole lot of those engines in use, and the ones that are are very special purpose. Their port timing is so high that they don't really make for a good sport or aerobatics engine. And of course there is the cost of running the nitro amounts that the racers use which is prohibitive for most of us. Jett does also make some higher powered engines for sport and aerobatic use that are excellent, and may very well beat out the electrics for power to weight ratio and overall performance. I'd love to see a head to head test for acceleration, vertical performance, top speed, etc. between the two.
yes jester I wondered why you mentioned the four cycle timing, a good idea, but the fours don't make the rpm of the 2's. With the 2's the exhaust timing is what I would like to see made variable. The height of the top of the port controls it and the length of the header pipe. Also the heat of the plug and nitro content. Dub jett told me that when it comes right down to it, it is in the exhaust port and compression that matter. It seems primitive to me that we have no adjustable header coupling with todays tech, still just a silicone tube. The skys the limit if somebody got the time and money. I appreciate the possibilities. Also It's probaly sure thing electric will replace internal combustion in all applications world wide when they discover the super conductor and plastic batteries. Got not engines in spacecraft
Old 06-30-2014, 03:19 PM
Axle Al

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I thought I'd just like to throw these two into the mix.

1. I am about to emigrate to France. the weather's better and the houses (and wine!) are cheaper! The club I will be joining, which has 21 members, staged a round of the French Aerobatic Championship about a year ago. The event attracted the entry of the European Champion, who was a former World Champion, and the current French National Champion among others. All of the models were powered by electric motors.

2. At the British National Championships last year there was a man selling two-stroke model aeroplane engines, which he kept in a big box. The price of these engines was £10 or about $17US, we were invited to help ourselves. Nuff said.
That's cool, I heard from pylon friend that the euro's are using the batteries very hot right off the fast charge, have to use gloves to handle them, check it out. And the glow motors sur are plentifull, about 60 years of production, the different makes and models boggles the mind.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:27 PM
Axle Al

Originally Posted by bjr_93tz
F3A probably isn't exctly comparing apples with apples.

Power is secondary to flexibility, and impression. Any manufacture could bring out a nitro 2-stroke that'd rip the front end out of any F3A ship and be lighter than what we have now but it'd lack the flexibility, flyability and in general look and sound bad in the air.

It's horses for courses in this hobby, pick which power source suits the application (be thankfull we have so many options) and run with it.
That's a good point. If you look at YS engine development you see how pattern engines are made for a mix of power and speed. When the planes were small and ran .61's the YS .61 long stroke was it. I run them now in sport planes and they are amazing, apc 12x10 at 11500rpm plus. YS is bringing out a memorial edition of this moto ( uh oh, a new production batch of the dead nitro engine ) Any how when pattern planes got bigger YS went to 4 strokes and supercharging and larger sizes to provide the power you speak of
Old 06-30-2014, 03:39 PM
Axle Al

Originally Posted by ira d
I have nothing against nitro engines I still have a couple but technology has moved on. While at one time nitro was the best available to the modeler that time has passed and I doubt there
will be many if any nitro engines available new in the U.S. market in five years. And no I have not seen the new line of Nova Rossi engines I did not know they still had a USA distributor.
Yeah man check out the Rossi's. A place called planet hobby and SMT distributing, who has an ad in magazine. They got a .61 speed 13 they call it. I got a new not run it yet. A real work of art and under $200. Made in italy too. I got it with 9mm in flight adjustable needle valve carb. My friend has one with the 10 mm non adjust that turns aps 11x7 at 18000 plus rpm. Yup rossi is back, they have a .46 pylon they claim 30,000 rpm. Its $300 plus pipe. It would be cool to see them show up in current racing. Also google K&B and check out MECOA. They are like the preserverer of nitro historic moto's. Look at the HP gold cup twin. Work of art, he builds them on order. I'm sorry dude, please look at these websites and think over the 5 year comment
Old 06-30-2014, 04:08 PM
Axle Al

Yes sir, the name of this post is the end of small glow engines and it is like Winston Churchill said " it is not the end, or the beginning of the end, but the beginning of the beginning of the end" It may depend on what size you consider small. But the current manufactures of glow are, Supertigre, thunderpower, OS, YS, APC, Magnum, JBA, SK, Enya, Mark/Moki, Jett, Rossi, Nelson then Model Engine Company Of America or MECOA makes their brand, Mecoa and Vintage brands, HB, HP, RJL, Fuji, Toki, K&B, etc. These along with the surplus of half a century of manufactured engines out there used and new in the box make it seem impossible that their would ever be and end to the small ones. Then there are the big ones. Let me list the giant glow motos that I have in my collection, the large glow motors. Moki/Mark 2.10cu in, 1.80cu in, Moki inline twin 3.60cu in. Aviastar 2.00 cu in, supertigre 4500 2.75 cu in, Supertigre inline twin60 3.60cu in, Twinstar flat twin 45cc. I just got a new Brission 5.8, 95 cc factory converted to nitro. In giant scale racing they convert the zenoah gt 80cc to alcohol for racing. So there it is, a history of model airplane powerplants. The nasty noisey dangerous thing that has always made a model airplane.........Not a toy

Last edited by Axle Al; 07-02-2014 at 11:53 AM. Reason: word choice
Old 06-30-2014, 06:41 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm happy to hear that the French club likes electrics, but you're posting in the glow forum.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:32 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Overall, I don't see the demise of glow engines anytime soon. There will always be guys who want the noise and the mechanical side of using an IC engine. They will continue to decline, and as they do some brands will go away and lots of product lines will go away. But on these mid sized planes, there will always be a certain joy to be had in making racket and smelling glow exhaust.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:05 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by blw
I'm happy to hear that the French club likes electrics, but you're posting in the glow forum.
You miss the point.

There are plenty of glow motors in use by the everyday members of that French club, including me, but when the expert aerobatic pilots turned up for a competitive event they all chose to use electric motors in their pattern ships.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:34 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let me rephrase a bit, The new gas burning engines with glow ignition I think will be around in five years but not the nitro engines.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:12 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
You miss the point.

There are plenty of glow motors in use by the everyday members of that French club, including me, but when the expert aerobatic pilots turned up for a competitive event they all chose to use electric motors in their pattern ships.
The pattern rules alway's had a low sound DB requirement. So that puts glow at a disadvantage it might not have in another venue. Still I think thrust and controbablility are the issue not so much power.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:15 AM
Sport_Pilot

Let me rephrase a bit, The new gas burning engines with glow ignition I think will be around in five years but not the nitro engines.
No nitro engines hear (well maybe the very few running on more than 50% nitro) this is the glow engine forum. IMO glow with no nitro and low oil requirement may be the future and saviour of glow. This will lower costs greatly, work in small engines, and still have much more power than gas.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:45 PM
blw

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
The pattern rules alway's had a low sound DB requirement. So that puts glow at a disadvantage it might not have in another venue. Still I think thrust and controbablility are the issue not so much power.
There was a nice guy from the U.K. on RCU about 10 years ago asking how to quieten down his OS 46FX to meet the club rules. There wasn't much of anything electric back then. I think he ended up not flying the model.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:49 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have little doubt that glow engines may become extinct in 5 years in CALIFORNIA, but in Texas I assure you that they will continue powering model planes for many many years.

There were those that predicted the extinction of 1/2a engines years ago. I don't think so, I'm on my way to the field to fly 1/2a pylon racers with my friends this evening. We consume over 2 gallons of 1/2a fuel per year 1/2 oz at a time!

Last edited by 049flyer; 07-01-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:07 PM
jeffie8696

Interesting about the FX problem, SIG still shows the Snuffler in stock.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:29 PM
falcon_56

Originally Posted by 049flyer
Order direct from Enya. Fantastic engines and much superior to OS in the smaller sizes (09 to 25) in my opinion. Better fit and finish, great power, flawless idle, plus no plastic backplates. Great parts support as well. I have recently received parts for an old 1960's era Enya .09 engine. No one provides that level of parts support that I know of.
+3

I dusted off a model with an Enya 25 I bought in the early 90's. Bearings were shot, carb gasket dried out and some screws stripped. I wrote to Mr Enya and sure enough in a week I had new parts to re-build my 22 year old engine. Put it together and it screams like it did new.

It is amazing how long one gallon of fuel lasts on a small glow engine
Old 07-01-2014, 07:38 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 049flyer
I have little doubt that glow engines may become extinct in 5 years in CALIFORNIA, but in Texas I assure you that they will continue powering model planes for many many years.

There were those that predicted the extinction of 1/2a engines years ago. I don't think so, I'm on my way to the field to fly 1/2a pylon racers with my friends this evening. We consume over 2 gallons of 1/2a fuel per year 1/2 oz at a time!
I'm not saying no body will be using glow engines in five years, I am saying there will not be any available new for purchase in five years in the usa.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:56 PM
jeffie8696

Luckily brucercengines.com will still be around and he carries new and used engines.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Axle Al

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
No nitro engines hear (well maybe the very few running on more than 50% nitro) this is the glow engine forum. IMO glow with no nitro and low oil requirement may be the future and saviour of glow. This will lower costs greatly, work in small engines, and still have much more power than gas.
Just to clarify, I believe glow and nitro engine to be the same. I just like the sound of the word nitro. You know in europe there is no nitro content in glow motor fuel. The hungarian made Moki's, the original moki, has different compression, I believe higher, to run on the pure methanol. Thats why they recomend FAI fuel in temps over 70degrees. I run the no nitro blend in my moki's and tried it in a K&B .61. It did not like, I think the smaller engines need the nitro. Heard that only china is still manufacturing nitro. FAI is like the AMA, they regulate the racing stuff over seas
Old 07-02-2014, 08:04 PM
Sport_Pilot

I just like the sound of the word nitro.
I hate the sound. As an ex drag racer the nitro cars are the ones running 100% nitro. Those with 10% are the alcohol racers who are cheating!

Heard that only china is still manufacturing nitro.
No Angus still sells nitro but will not sell 100% to racers or modelers. They will sell 50% methanol and nitro mix however.

FAI is like the AMA, they regulate the racing stuff over seas
Nor just overseas, it is international and there are some FAI competition in the states.

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 07-02-2014 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:33 AM
blw

Axel Al, nitro isn't used in a lot of places in Europe due to the taxation on it, but it is used more than you think.

I think NHRA top fuel is either 90% or 95% nitro. Not 100%. I'm either 90% or 95% sure on this, Hugh.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:05 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by blw
Axel Al, nitro isn't used in a lot of places in Europe due to the taxation on it, but it is used more than you think.

I think NHRA top fuel is either 90% or 95% nitro. Not 100%. I'm either 90% or 95% sure on this, Hugh.
Yes, but back a ways it was 100%.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:24 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Last I heard, NHRA fuel was 90%. They backed off in order to cut the power of the top fuel engines. I figure they'll cut it again in a few more years because the teams still run through equipment like mad.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:35 AM
Sport_Pilot

I figure they'll cut it again in a few more years because the teams still run through equipment like mad.
That wan't the issue. The issue was blowing up on the line with enough force to send parts through the safety blankets. Now they blow up when they smoke the tires and so far as I know the blankets keep the engine parts on the track. But fiberglass bodies are another issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.