Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

4 stroke after run oil

Old 07-31-2014, 02:38 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Thanks it has been interesting reading.Maybe living 150 mtrs from the beach has it's drawbacks,onshore winds most times,and we sure do get a lot of rust here.

ps tim you make your own dynamite?? that sounds interesting.

pps hobbsy can always say 'hey i warned ya'
If I made my own Dynamite, I'd quit my day job!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:11 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks it has been interesting reading.Maybe living 150 mtrs from the beach has it's drawbacks,onshore winds most times,and we sure do get a lot of rust here.

ps tim you make your own dynamite?? that sounds interesting.

pps hobbsy can always say 'hey i warned ya'

What's with you? First, it was guns. Now it's dynamite. You would fit in around here!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:33 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DYN -O- MITE !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7DG-pNt5fus

Last edited by Sport_Pilot; 07-31-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:01 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blw
What's with you? First, it was guns. Now it's dynamite. You would fit in around here!
I think he was the kid that blew peoples letter boxes up when he was a kid ( was fun ) and just never grew up . What O.F. needs to know is that us aussies are a civilised bunch and we dont do dat ****e anymore . Cheers the pope
Old 08-01-2014, 12:07 AM
Rudolph Hart

Sorry tim i meant 'liquid dynamite' re good nitro,if i remember right you said you make your own and castor oil too? sounds interesting as i said.

Thanks barry i'm no stranger to fuses tho

Pope if they had'nt banned fireworks in every state except the act (australian capital territories,where all the politicians live and work) i might still be blowing up peoples letterboxes and shredding their mail.Some of them liked it,said it made letters shorter and more interesting to read Dropping whole strings of crackers down peoples chimneys in winter when they had fires going was much more entertaining,we used to argue about who got to watch what happened at ground level.I'm sixty and this is as grown up as it's ever going to get,plus the saying 'grow up' is often used when 'responsible' people see someone their age having a hoot,they don't like to see that many people smiling at once,it makes them feel that something is wrong,i mean,you should'nt be that happy.It's just not right
Old 08-01-2014, 06:25 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

If I was manufacturing my own nitromethane and castor oil, the world would be a better place...
Old 08-01-2014, 08:04 AM
blw

I remember that you could get chemistry sets for Christmas too. Down chimneys? Hilarious idea. I keep fireworks at all times. There's always a need for them. Currently, I have a cardboard tube and bottle rockets under the kitchen sink, which my wife objects to. We have neighborhood cats that used to sleep on my new rag top on my car. You can aim those bottle rockets with great accuracy with the tubes from Ultracote. I actually hit a cat out in the street one evening with one. They give my place a wide berth now, but it took a few dozen rockets to get to this point.

I don't think there's any oxidation on that jug.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:46 AM
bhady

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use air tool oil in my 2 strokes, and outboard fogging oil in 4 strokes. Just use the snorkel tube in the crankcase vent tube , the oil gets up inside the engine and works its way out through the front bearings as noted earlier. No rust problems ever.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:32 AM
Rudolph Hart

I might have to try some of this fogging oil (no pun intended)
Old 08-06-2014, 01:34 PM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

To prevent rust in model engines forget heavy after run oils and ATF. Get Remington gun oil in the spray green and yellow can. One shot down the carb or in the vent line on for strokes and your good. Have used it for years....RON
Old 08-06-2014, 06:01 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good tips on here Guys....keep em coming !
Old 08-10-2014, 12:53 PM
blw

I might have to try some of this****ing oil (no pun intended)
Your post was just censored.
Old 08-10-2014, 05:58 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by blw
Your post was just censored.
Is that our lovely forum software doing its job or is this supposed to be a joke?

Sometimes it's good to be a thick header A-hole though.... That's my niché.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:26 AM
Rudolph Hart

You guys have an incredibly good sense of humour,i mean that

I'm thinking the fogging oil would be a good thing if it works well and you can't be bothered to hit the engine with a starter at days end to slosh the arf around inside the engine,happens sometimes and then usually i'll leave it for a week or more because i keep putting it off even further.Then i start loosing bearings to rust and have to change them...which may have got me in a bit of bother over on the saito thread
Old 08-11-2014, 01:42 PM
AwwNaww

I've never seen a fogging oil that was formulated for methanol based fuels. I'm all for it if it works! I've got one of the "modern" OS contraptions (110a) that has no crankcase vent and I am not sure how to get after-run oil into it.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:42 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Niether gun oil nor Marvel Mystry oil are ideal for this, both much to thin. Any air tool oil (including Marvel mystry air tool oil) ar ATF is far supperior. On a 4 stroke, make sure you get about a teaspoon full into the crankcase (through the breathing tube) in order to do any good. A few drops do not do the job as you must coat all the interieor bearings with a coat of oil to do any good. After inserting the oil, twirl or turn the engine (not the prop) a few times to get the oil to flow over all the interior surfaces.
Old 12-07-2014, 12:16 PM
buggy fanatic
My Feedback: (16)

i've read these threads for a long time.no one ever mentions regular after-run oil.is something wrong with it?
Old 12-07-2014, 02:44 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by buggy fanatic
i've read these threads for a long time.no one ever mentions regular after-run oil.is something wrong with it?
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 12-07-2014, 02:51 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by the pope
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Yup. +1
Old 12-07-2014, 04:49 PM
buggy fanatic
My Feedback: (16)

okay,now i see.i've always used alot and spend alot i quess.but it sure works good in my engines.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:15 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by buggy fanatic
okay,now i see.i've always used alot and spend alot i quess.but it sure works good in my engines.
The last bottle of actual "After Run Oil" I bought cost me $5+tax and was 3 ounces. It looks and smells like ATF, which at the time was about $4+tax per Quart. It keeps my engines freed up, and nothing rusts when using it. Makes more sense to use something that's pennies per ounce versus dollars. Many folks use Marvel mystery oil or air tool oil with great results as well. The key to the oil doing its job properly is ensuring all fuel residues have evaporated. If there is any fuel left,the oil coats it "in" and you still get rust and corrosion. Fuel residue is not the same as oil residue. If one uses a lot of castor in their fuel, rarely parts rust. Using an after run oil helps keep the castor from drying out and siezing the engine up and nothing more.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Broken Wings
My Feedback: (20)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Aerosol Can Fogging oil... Pennzoil, CRC Marine, Napa... One shot through the breather line on four strokes using the long thin red spray tube.

Rotate the crank and give it a shot down the carburetor throat on two strokes.

Like Dave says it foams up and bathes the internals. It doesn't seem to bother your glow plugs either.

I've been using it for many years.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:37 AM
blw

Actually, an expanding, fogging lubricant is your only good choice.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:53 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Originally Posted by blw
Actually, an expanding, fogging lubricant is your only good choice.
The first year I had a 4-stroke I didn't use fogging oil. I used my ATF mix and literally filled the engine completely full of it and dumped it out and baggied it. It did the same thing that fogging oil would do but the fogging oil is far easier. Always more than one way to skin a cat. Then again the engine wasn't mounted in anything... That makes a big difference I suppose.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:50 AM
blw

I was mostly thinking about getting some oil on every bit of metal. All of it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.