Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Ball Bearing Engines vs. Plain Bearing Engines

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Ball Bearing Engines vs. Plain Bearing Engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 09:08 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After getting a really nasty cut from an APC and not having any form of health insurance at the time I had to glue my finger back together with Super Glue. Since then I shun APC like the plague. And I trim the casting flash from my MA props to make them safer too, forgot the other day and cut my finger on the back of one just priming a 4 Stroke. I often use wood props too, Zinger props for example are very nice, I have an 11X8 Pro on my Saito 62 on my 4Star54 and its excellent. The flex argument is moot as even though the blades flex it is still an airfoil . Testing is everthing, you cant compare an APC 10X6 to an MA 10X6, they are different animals, look as the cross section, you simply have to bolt on different props and see what flys the plane best. I don't want to hijack this thread and turn it into a propeller argument we can start a whole different thread for that.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:38 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You are right with the testing every prop thing. MA has slightly less pitch than APC, one may have more top end, one may pull better when doing 3D, different powerbands on the motor..... I just got an OS AX .25 with BB, and it is heavier and no faster than the OS LA, so there you go for the BB faster theory.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:37 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Back to the original question concerning bearing or bushing engines.

I have been in the hobby for well over 40 years and in that time I have never personally worn out the bushing on a bushed engine. I HAVE SEEN a worn out bushing on an engine engine though. It was a Magnum .40 and I have no idea how it was operated previous to me owning it.

I HAVE seen MANY MANY bad bearings on bearing type engines owned by fellow flyers with increasing frequency. Interestingly I have bought OLD ball bearing engines from people, engines that have been sitting for decades. Rarely have I seen bad bearings in these cases.

Maybe it's the quality of the bearings used in modern engines, modern fuels or maybe even the 3D flight profile that causes all the problems.

I always run fuel with PLENTY of castor oil in the fuel and I always set my needle a little on the fat side, never peaked. Perhaps a combination of purchasing a quality engine, running it on castor based fuel, and utilizing conservative operating practices contributes to engine bushing longevity.

Last edited by 049flyer; 08-21-2014 at 01:46 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:23 PM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have worn out a few Babe Bee cases/bearings. They won't hold a setting and have to be replaced. Yes I still have them after 40 years too. I made new brass ones for some. Got some old Fox motors for free that were worn a lot. I bet they still work with lots of castor in the fuel to seal them up though. One used Supertiger .40 had a cage fall off the rear bearing. Otherwise, I haven't really had a bad bearing or bushing from my flying. I don't fly a whole lot, but usually get them out once in a while. The storage doesn't seem to affect them either.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:30 PM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Despite being a Boca Bearings sponsored pilot I am a big fan of bushing engines also. I think good quality bearings and lots of oil in your fuel make a huge difference.