Muffler or No??

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 05:58 PM
Antares100
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muffler or No??

Hi All,
Just saw a picture of a WW2 R/C fighter plane with no muffler. The engine was completely in the cowl, with the muffler output slightly less than flush with the cowl. Obviously the engine will produce more noise, my question is is there a loss of power? Can the engine be damaged running w/no muffler? I would think that the engine was designed to give full power with the muffler. If this is a viable alternative I would like to use the configuration for a more scale look in my Red Box Top Flite Mustang, and maybe my OV-10 Bronco.
If noise is not a factor for flying, is it feasable to not use the muffler for a more scale effect, or will I be damaging the engine?

Thanks for your opinions/advice.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:00 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The RC model engines will not be damaged without a muffler. But two stroke engines tend to like a little back pressure though. Four stroke engines tend to work better with little to no back pressure. Usually the scale people use a in cowl muffler design. The in cowl muffler could be a Pitts type of muffler or something else. In the past we used manifolds with outliet pipes we cut to length so we could direct the exhaust to be just outside the cowl. Four stroke engines could simply use a straight pipe exhaust.

Since the RC model engines use muffler pressure to help pressurize the fuel tank as a aid for drawing fuel, having some back pressure is a good thing then. Now if noise is not a factor at your flying field or area, then you can leave the muffler off. But for our modern engines since we use muffler pressure, having some kind of a exhaust that provides some back pressure for pressuring the fuel tank is a big plus. Although one might experience a slight power loss, using a tongue muffler like the control line people use is a good way to go. One of the exhaust manifolds like Tatone and Slimine sold works too. One could make one as well, I think Dubro still sells the blank exhaust extensions, you can cut it to length as needed. Fabricate a simple baffle restrictor for some back pressure and it is good to go.

Now if you are flying a gasoline engine that has a pumper carb, then muffler back pressure starts to become more of a moot point as you don't need to pressurize the fuel tank then. But the engines tend to like some back pressure though. But one could still run just a straight exhaust stack though. But the bigger gas engines can be quite loud, so you only want to fly them where noise is not a issue.

Last edited by earlwb; 10-31-2014 at 07:06 PM. Reason: typo correction